The anniversary of my very first blog post was on May 22nd, 2006 – which was ten years ago! When I started this blog I had no idea where it would take me, the things it would lead me to, or the people I would meet along the way. After ten years I still enjoy talking about food as much as I do, I still love taking photos and sharing my finds with all of you! I’m celebrating with some sweet giveaways (more on that later)!
For my 10th Blogiversary, I thought I’d have a little fun and look back at a few of the things that happened during 2006.
Movies of 2006
Some of the popular movies that came out in 2006:
The Da Vinci Code (The book was better)
The Departed (I loved this one)
Night at the Museum (A Ben Stiller movie I actually liked)
Cars (Pretty sure I didn’t see this until after I started dating Jake over a year later)
Casino Royale (Daniel Craig’s first crack at James Bond)
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest (I love you, Johnny Depp)
Talladega Nights (One of Jake’s favorites, definitely not one of my mine)
Little Miss Sunshine (Indie love)
Blood Diamond (Brutal but excellent)
Borat (Had some funny moments with a lot of uncomfortable moments)
The box office winner in 2006? Pirates of the Caribbean. The Oscar winner? Crash.
TV Shows of 2006
Just a few of the top TV shows:
Friday Night Lights
Top Songs of 2006
Do you remember some of these hits?
Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol
Sexyback by Justin Timberlake
My Love by Justin Timberlake
Crazy by Gnarls Barkley
When You Were Young by The Killers
My Humps by Black Eyed Peas
Sugar We’re Goin’ Down by Fall Out Boy
You’re Beautiful by James Blunt
I Write Sins Not Tragedies by Panic! At the Disco
Dani California by the Red Hot Chili Peppers
Food Trends of 2006
According to restaurant.org, the top 10 food trends of 2006 were:
locally grown produce
whole grain bread
Weird! I think this was the year that “Organic” stuff really took off. Organic aka “Let’s charge you a ton more, woo”.
This Tasty Life 10 Year Stats
My most popular post of all time is my recipe for “Almost Fried Oven Baked Buffalo Wings“. In the last couple of years this post gained quite a bit of popularity on Pinterest. Imagine my surprise on Super Bowl Sunday this year when it was getting mad hits! It’s a recipe for buffalo wings that taste fried (re: very crispy) without actually frying them. There’s a little secret to making them extra crisp.
My most popular restaurant review ever is still about Mandarin Chinese Restaurant which I first posted back in 2009. I still think their salt & pepper garlic chicken wings are seasoned with crack to make me crave it nightly.
The 10th post on this blog didn’t come until well over a year later in November of 2007. The post? Roberto’s in Mira Mesa. Roberto’s had replaced Burger King at the corner of Black Mountain Road and Mira Mesa Blvd. Roberto’s has since been replaced by Vallarta. Back then, Jake was only referred to as “my boyfriend”. I didn’t start referring to Jake by name until 2010!
In the spirit of Top Ten lists… let’s do my Top Ten Favorite Donuts! These will not be any particular order because I don’t feel like ranking today.
- Vanilla Kreme Filled Maple Bar from Peterson’s Donut Corner in Escondido, CA
- Carrot Cake Donuts from The Donuttery in Huntington Beach, CA
- Key Lime Pie Donut from Glazed Donuts in Key West, FL
- Blueberry Bourbon Basil Donut from Blue Star Donuts in Portland, OR
- Blueberry Donuts from Danny’s Donuts in Vista, CA
- Earl Grey Vegan Donut from Donut Panic in San Diego, CA
- Cruellers and Red Velvet Donuts from Mary’s Donuts in Santee, CA
- Coconut Pandan Donut from Nomad Donuts in San Diego, CA
- Buttermilk Bar from Star Dust Donuts in Imperial Beach, CA
- Twist Donut from The Jelly Donut in Yucca Valley, CA
And just ONE MORE Top Ten list before I kill this whole idea (hush if you already think it’s been killed). My Top Ten Favorite Pizza Spots in San Diego (also in no particular order):
- Lu Pizzetta in Pacific Beach
- Sicilian Thing Pizza in North Park
- Isa.Bella Artisan Pizza in Clairemont
- Napizza in Little Italy
- Pauly’s Pizza Joint in Miramar
- Bronx Pizza in Hillcrest
- Rosaria Pizza in Mission Beach
- Milo’s Pizza in College Area
- Monello in Little Italy
- Urbn in North Park
This giveaway is NOW CLOSED.
Thanks to my THREE winners Susie, Lolo, and Yvonne!
To celebrate my 10 years of blogging, I’ve decided to do a little giveaway. I’ve got three prize packs to share with all of you. Thanks to Islands and Weinerschnitzel for providing some of the gift cards for my special 10 year blogiversary giveaway! Here are the prizes:
Grand Prize: 1 – $25 gift card to Islands, 1 – $20 gift card to 85c Bakery, and 1 – $10 gift card to Weinerschnitzel ($55 total!)
1st Place Prize: 1 – $25 gift card to Islands and 1 – $10 gift card to Weinerschnitzel. ($35 total!)
2nd Place Prize: 1 – $10 gift card to Weinerschnitzel.
Here’s how you can enter to win:
- Comment below and tell me ONE of the following things (though you can answer all of them if you really want to) (+1 entry):
– Have you found a new restaurant that you love through This Tasty Life? If so, what was it?
– Tell me about a spot in town I need to try out – I always need more recommendations!
– Or what is your current favorite meal (either homemade or from a restaurant)?
- Re-Tweet this message (+1 entry – can be entered daily, leave comment for each entry with a link to your tweet):
“I love winning things! I entered to win awesome restaurant gift cards from @thistastylife! Click here to enter: http://bit.ly/thistastylife10”
- Like this post on Facebook (+1 entry – leave a separate comment)
- Share this post on Facebook (+1 entry – leave a separate comment)
- Follow me on Twitter, Like this page on Facebook, Follow me on Instagram or Subscribe to this blog via email (+1 entry for each, leave a separate comment, OK if you are already following)
This contest is partially sponsored by Islands Restaurants and Weinerschnitzel and This Tasty Life! Contest is open to residents of the US. Contest ends on Wednesday, June 1st, 2016 at 8PM PST. Three winners will be chosen and notified by email. Winners have 48 hours to respond to email otherwise a new winner will be chosen. Good luck!