key lime desserts hunting in key west, fl

1. I had to look up what ‘bushed’ meant haha. I figured it was something like tired or wiped out but wanted to make sure. Have never heard that one before! English is my second language so always nice to learn a new word.

Also I think just regular ol’ key lime pie would be my favorite although I like the idea of key lime cheesecake…but agree that dark chocolate would probably not go well with it, they should’ve covered it in white chocolate!

Hi J.S. – Haha, I’m glad I could help you learn something new today then! Yeah, the dark chocolate was a little overkill – I agree, white chocolate would have been better. A lot more mild! It was interesting to try in any case. 🙂

2. David says:

The deep fried version looks amazing! I’m adding that to my bucket list, haha.

Hi Minion (er, David) – Yes. You should add that to your bucket list. It’d be funny if your next trip was to Key West and mine was Austin… swap destinations 🙂

3. Loved those glass displays at the 3rd place! Very cool! They also had a blueberry bullseye donut? Not sure what the bullseye part is, but the word blueberry certainly caught my attention!

This seemed like a really fun excursion and roundup!

Hi CC – Yeah, I don’t remember sadly. I remember there was a chocolate donut that looked like it had a donut hole on top and it was all covered in chocolate. Normally blueberry would catch my eye, too, but I only had eyes for the Key Lime donut that day! It was a lot of fun sampling all of the Key Lime stuff for “research”. 🙂

• Hey Guys, So glad you liked our donuts! You should have told us you were on a key lime quest We could have helped guide your endeavors. The Bullseye is a style of filled jelly donut which doesn’t cram the whole thing full of jelly but instead removes a bit of dough from the top/center and is then filled with just enough jelly, in this case home made blueberry. The result is a donut with a big dot in the center that resembles the bullseye of a target.

We’re glad you enjoyed our donuts and on your next visit try our key-lime pie icecream pop (coated in lemon white chocolate shell and gram streusel) and the pie at the Square Grouper on Cudjoe key.

– The Glazed Team –

Hello Glazed Team! In retrospect, asking you guys for Key Lime suggestions would have been a really smart idea, haha. We did ask about sunset spots, so I guess that’s something! The Bullseye sounds awesome, I wish I had tried it (and really, all of your donuts since the key lime one was so good). Your place is definitely a go to spot for Key West! Thanks for your comment!

I *WANT* the Chocolate Dipped Key Lime Pie on a Stick!!! GIMME!!!

It looks more like key lime gelato or key lime ice cream. Or maybe that’s what I’m seeing in that pic. I just think a super tart key lime soft serve dipped in dark chocolate would be more than perfection right now. It has to be in a pie shape like your pic though. So that was my FrankenKeyLime creation wish after reading your list of 6 🙂

Hi Faye – Your comment made me chuckle! The pie was semi-frozen (but luckily not rock hard) to keep the chocolate on so that’s probably why it looks like an icy treat – it sort of was! I still think another type of chocolate would have been better but I have this tiny feeling you would have loved it as is. 🙂

5. The frozen stuff looks good right about now. It’s so freaking hot!! I’ve been eating frozen treats like once a week lately, it seems like (from my IG lol). I need to cut back to maybe once a month or something. A key lime frozen soufflé sounds pretty good right now too….cold, light, and airy!

Great finds! I love key lime. So does key lime/products taste different over there than what you would taste here in cali?

Hi Miss Kim – It must be a little warmer where you are! It’s in the upper 70’s here, it’s quite nice! We had chocolate dipped ice creams over the weekend… it really hit the spot (I shared mine with Jake). Key lime frozen soufflé sounds awesome! I’ve never made a soufflé, they sound a little scary, haha.

I don’t think they really taste very different, I think it’s just much more popular over there and so you see Key Lime everything all over Florida! Most of the Key Limes are not grown in Key West anymore though since most of the crops/trees were destroyed during a hurricane in the 1920’s! Over here they are more likely to use the Persian lime than the Key Lime though. We actually have a Key Lime tree in our back yard so I can make my own treats 🙂 It has so many thorns on it though, it’s a pain to get the limes if they are very high up!