Awhile ago I saw that CC of Pink Candles at Ridgemont High went to URBN in North Park and had some Mashed Potato Pizza.
I remember being terribly intrigued by it – pizza… with mashed potatoes on it? Sounds totally crazy and weird, but I just had to try it.
Fast forward to a few months later and Jake and I finally made our way around to URBN.
URBN is a much larger space than I first thought. We sat in one of the booths on a Saturday afternoon. Both of the garage doors were open creating a nice cross breeze. It almost felt like we were sitting outdoors.
I kinda dug that our waitress brought us our own little carafe of water and little glasses. I like things like that.
After we placed our order, we also got this little condiment tray of extra spices. From left to right, salt, pepper, oregano, red pepper flakes and shredded Parmesan cheese.
[Housemade Meatballs - $9]
Jake and I shared this order of Housemade Meatballs. I usually like to get meatballs on my pizza, so I felt I had to make up for it another way by getting meatballs on the side. It comes served in a little cast iron pan with marinara sauce, a big dollop of sweet ricotta, Parmesan on top and a baguette on the side.
The meatballs are filled with goodies – lots of herbs and garlic. They were so flavorful, juicy and rich. The herbs and garlic were nicely infused in the meat and the dollop of ricotta was a perfect accompaniment to the meat. It provided a nice sweetness to go along with the sauce and meatball. Jake and I used the bread to make mini open faced meatball bites and to sop up any remaining sauce. Totally delicious.
[Mashed Potato Pizza - Small - $15]
This is a White Pie (Parmesan, garlic, olive oil) with mozzarella, pancetta and mashed potatoes. This was way bigger than we thought it would be, so we were glad that we A) for the small and B) did not order a second pizza.
It’s a thin crust and made kind of square. The big dollops of white are melted mozzarella.
On my own slices, I added pretty much all of the “extras” – more oregano, cheese, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. The mashed potatoes are kind of bland and the extra seasonings help give a little extra kick of flavor. Our waitress wisely suggested that we add a dash of Choula sauce for an extra bit of spice and it turned out to be just what it needed.
The crust is nice and crisp – perfectly done in my book. Overall I liked it, but I felt I had to add a bunch of stuff to it to give it more flavor. Still good, though I would probably like way more garlic. Then again, I lubs the garlic. I could not be a vampire.
This pizza did inspire me to try and recreate this at home though – I’ll be posting about that later this week!
URBN Coal Fired Pizza / Bar
3085 University Avenue
San Diego, CA 92104
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- peri peri / torrey highlands – san diego, ca
- firehouse subs revisit + giveaway!
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca
- red lobster / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- fluffy duffy’s snow cream / college – san diego, ca
- [recipe/review] peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- [product review] – DressTiez clothing protector bib
- hogetsu bakery / chula vista, ca
- teriyaki grill / chula vista, ca
- revisit to callahan’s / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca (8)
- mary: Hi Kirk – Wow, you tried it 3-4 times?! I’m glad someone else can confirm that it wasn’t just me who had a bad meal!
- Kirk: Hi Mary – This place is terrible, tried it about 3-4 times when we moved a couple of miles away. Bitter orange juice, SYSCO products at...
- mary: Haha I thought so
- J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats: Sorry the food was kindof mediocre…however “barfed flowers all over the place” is the most perfect description for...
- mary: Hi CC – The one in Clairemont is kind of hidden, too. Must be some kind of weird theme… the wallpaper is pretty bad. I could also see the...
- dave and buster’s – mission valley / san diego, ca (5)