Awhile ago I saw that CC of Pink Candles at Ridgemont High went to URBN in North Park and had some Mashed Potato Pizza.
I remember being terribly intrigued by it – pizza… with mashed potatoes on it? Sounds totally crazy and weird, but I just had to try it.
Fast forward to a few months later and Jake and I finally made our way around to URBN.
URBN is a much larger space than I first thought. We sat in one of the booths on a Saturday afternoon. Both of the garage doors were open creating a nice cross breeze. It almost felt like we were sitting outdoors.
I kinda dug that our waitress brought us our own little carafe of water and little glasses. I like things like that.
After we placed our order, we also got this little condiment tray of extra spices. From left to right, salt, pepper, oregano, red pepper flakes and shredded Parmesan cheese.
[Housemade Meatballs - $9]
Jake and I shared this order of Housemade Meatballs. I usually like to get meatballs on my pizza, so I felt I had to make up for it another way by getting meatballs on the side. It comes served in a little cast iron pan with marinara sauce, a big dollop of sweet ricotta, Parmesan on top and a baguette on the side.
The meatballs are filled with goodies – lots of herbs and garlic. They were so flavorful, juicy and rich. The herbs and garlic were nicely infused in the meat and the dollop of ricotta was a perfect accompaniment to the meat. It provided a nice sweetness to go along with the sauce and meatball. Jake and I used the bread to make mini open faced meatball bites and to sop up any remaining sauce. Totally delicious.
[Mashed Potato Pizza - Small - $15]
This is a White Pie (Parmesan, garlic, olive oil) with mozzarella, pancetta and mashed potatoes. This was way bigger than we thought it would be, so we were glad that we A) for the small and B) did not order a second pizza.
It’s a thin crust and made kind of square. The big dollops of white are melted mozzarella.
On my own slices, I added pretty much all of the “extras” – more oregano, cheese, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. The mashed potatoes are kind of bland and the extra seasonings help give a little extra kick of flavor. Our waitress wisely suggested that we add a dash of Choula sauce for an extra bit of spice and it turned out to be just what it needed.
The crust is nice and crisp – perfectly done in my book. Overall I liked it, but I felt I had to add a bunch of stuff to it to give it more flavor. Still good, though I would probably like way more garlic. Then again, I lubs the garlic. I could not be a vampire.
This pizza did inspire me to try and recreate this at home though – I’ll be posting about that later this week!
URBN Coal Fired Pizza / Bar
3085 University Avenue
San Diego, CA 92104
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- cape town pub south african fusion / miramar – san diego, ca
- ‘rita’s cantina @ harrah’s / valley center, ca
- [recipe] green bean salad + homemade bbq
- mr. peabody’s bar & grill / encinitas, ca
- supernatural sandwiches / miramar – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] taste of hillcrest coming up on april 19th, 2014 + win tickets!
- [recipe] easy one pot tomato basil pasta
- breakfast at wich addiction / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- [recipe] strawberry lime cheesecake bars
- college area taste / april 13th, 2014 + win tickets!
- cape town pub south african fusion / miramar – san diego, ca (6)
- caninecologne: Gotta check this out! I remember liking their meat pies from the one time I went when they were still Deli SA (after that family nearly...
- J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats: Your picture of the sandwich + fries is amazing! And I think I would love the milk tart too. This place reminds of Brazil by the Bay...
- mary: Hi Jinxi – I hope you do! They have interesting looking stuff on their menu. I also want to try all of their desserts again!
- Jinxi: Mm I’ll have to check out this place! I’ve never had South African cuisine before. The desserts look yummy, and I’m quite intrigued...
- mary: Hi Faye – They do offer dinner! They have like regular operating hours. I feel like they might have happy hour, too, but maybe I’m just...
- jeong won korean bbq buffet / kearny mesa – san diego, ca (9)
- Truely: Taegukgi is over price. They don’t explain much between 21.99 and 25.99. Sorry, it is my first and last. I will explain to all my friends. word...
- ‘rita’s cantina @ harrah’s / valley center, ca (6)
- mary: Hi Faye – OMG you’re right they took Sam down! I double checked the “Adoption” page too but he’s not there so I hope hope...
Blogs I Follow
- my burning kitchen
- meandering eats
- three dog kitchen
- kirbie's cravings
- a radiused corner
- food is my favorite
- pink candles at ridgemont high
- convoy conquest
- san diego sugar
- rodzilla reviews
- food revu
- nerds with food
- jinxi eats
- faye's fork
- sun diego eats
- gastro bits