peterson’s donut corner / escondido, ca

1. Darlene says:

I’m impressed. I’ve recently began to love cruellers but I’ve noticed they have a tendency to go stale really fast; they don’t hold up for very long. But bravo they filled it with cream.

Hi Darlene – Yeah, that is the downside to crullers. They go stale so fast! The cream helped a little with the staleness so I still liked it, but I think I prefer them without the extra whipped cream. Cathy and CC told me that you can get freshly made, hot crullers at 8PM on Saturday at Mary’s Donuts in Santee. I’m going to have to make a pilgrimage for that! πŸ™‚

French crullers are my favorite donut, but they’re hard to find and when you do find them they’re often stale. I didn’t know fresh crullers make an appearance at Mary’s on Saturday night! That’s worth a visit.

I like the cake donuts at Peterson’s and I like that they make their own frostings (even if I’m not a fan of orange and strawberry frostings). Right now, one of my favorites to get is their raised crumb donut – it has this weird middle layer of cinnamon and icing in it. Almost like a cinnamon roll donut with a crumb coating. It’s not great the next day, but eaten fresh is really good. The apple fritters are good, too – not too greasy, and also humongous.

Hi Leanne – Yes, I keep meaning to do the Mary’s thing on Saturday but haven’t gotten a chance to do it yet. Hmmm, maybe this weekend…. πŸ™‚

I didn’t see a crumb donut when we visited… I definitely want to go back for that – that sounds awesome! I wish they had like a donut scheduled printed out. hehe

3. yay! you went to Peterson’s! Man, those are some BIG-@$$ donuts! Effing huge, I say! I’m curious to try that cruller with the whipped cream. You’re right – they’re only good fresh, otherwise, it’s Stale City the next day. Nice write up, which I will consider a preview for my eventual visit in the future.

They are seriously HUGE. I can’t tell if you can really tell the scale from my photos. I took a photo of my hand next to it, but the photo looked craptastic so I didn’t use it. I hope they have the ones with whipped cream when you visit! I just looked at their Facebook page the other day and it looked like they were doing more experiments with donuts (like the bars) + whipped cream.

4. I forgot to mention – this is Cathy’s “local” donut shop and it was she gave the tip of 8 pm being the magical hour. We timed our visit purposely so we could try the crullers fresh.

5. Cathy says:

By the way, cc and I were there at exactly 8 p.m. on a Friday…I think the crullers come out at 8 p.m. every day of the week…if you get there at 9, they will still be warm and actually on display in the glass counter. (we were kind of like pressuring the guy to put frosting on some hot from the oil crullers for us…)

Petersons makes killer blueberry items.

Hi Cathy – I think I once went to Mary’s on a Wednesday evening and there were no crullers in sight πŸ™ Thanks for the tips! I plan on making a return trip to Peterson’s soon to try some of those cake donuts and the cinnamon thing Leanne mentioned.