I have been to Mandarin Chinese Restaurant quite a few times in the last two years. My boyfriend took me here when we first started dating and I thought the food was excellent. I’ve finally gathered a few photos together to share my experiences here.
One thing we always order is the Mandarin Chicken. It’s battered chicken in a sweet mandarin flavored sauce with broccoli all around. I believe this normally comes as a spicy dish, but we get it mild so that I can eat some of it as well. The sauce isn’t too overpowering or sickly sweet – it’s got a nice balance of sweetness with spices that rounds out the crispness of the chicken.
I don’t remember what this one is called exactly, I think it’s like the “House Special Noodles” – it’s lo mein noodles with chicken, beef, and shrimp. Luckily, my boyfriend doesn’t like shrimp, so I get to have all of the big, juicy shrimp pieces. It’s got good flavor and lots of meaty parts. There isn’t a lot of “filler vegetables” and you get a lot of it – plenty for leftovers to take home.
This is a take-out photo of their Salt and Pepper Chicken Wings – obviously I couldn’t wait to eat them, so there are some chicken bones in the photos. The Salt and Pepper Wings are one of my favorite items here – when they’re hot, they’re to die for. They’ve got garlic, green onions and red pepper slathered all over them making them smell and taste delicious. I will even eat these if they are room temperature, but I prefer them piping hot.
The other thing I love here are the egg rolls. They’re really crispy, have a good balance of meat and vegetables (not a lot of filler vegetables). A lot of Chinese take out places seem to try to pass off their egg rolls with only filler vegetables, but Mandarin puts meat in theirs – yay!
We have of course been here when the food wasn’t great, but just passable, but more often than not the food is excellent. It’s pretty much more “Americanized Chinese” but that doesn’t bother me one little bit, as long as it’s tasty.
Mandarin Chinese Restaurant
945-A Otay Lakes Road
Chula Vista, CA 91913
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- isa.bella artisan pizzeria / clairemont – san diego, ca
- pauly’s pizza joint / miramar – san diego, ca
- college area taste 2014 recap
- valley farm bbq / spring valley, ca
- cape town pub south african fusion / miramar – san diego, ca
- ‘rita’s cantina @ harrah’s / valley center, ca
- [recipe] green bean salad + homemade bbq
- mr. peabody’s bar & grill / encinitas, ca
- supernatural sandwiches / miramar – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] taste of hillcrest coming up on april 19th, 2014 + win tickets!
- isa.bella artisan pizzeria / clairemont – san diego, ca (4)
- pauly’s pizza joint / miramar – san diego, ca (4)
- mary: Thanks, CC!
- college area taste 2014 recap (10)
Blogs I Follow
- my burning kitchen
- meandering eats
- three dog kitchen
- kirbie's cravings
- a radiused corner
- food is my favorite
- pink candles at ridgemont high
- convoy conquest
- san diego sugar
- rodzilla reviews
- food revu
- nerds with food
- jinxi eats
- faye's fork
- sun diego eats
- gastro bits