I don’t remember where I first read about Bronx Pizza, but I’d been wanting to go there for awhile. Last Friday on what I’ve dubbed our “Pizza Nights” we headed over to Hillcrest to try out their thin crust, NY style pizza. I wanted to get a Whitestone Pizza ($15) – all cheese with garlic and no tomato sauce. Jake, who loves tomato sauce on pizza like no other (he usually orders pizza’s with extra sauce), wasn’t sure about the all-cheese decision and ordered the pizza with half tomato sauce.
When I first took a bite of a slice with the tomato sauce, it didn’t taste too bad. But then I ate just a slice of the cheese with no sauce – which has mozzarella, ricotta, garlic and parmesan. The all-cheesy slice is super, awesomely good. I love ricotta on pizza, too, and it was spread thin across the whole pie, giving it a slightly creamy, sweet flavor. After eating a regular slice, eating another with the pizza sauce on it just kills the pizza. Jake even agreed, which I found surprising, since he’s such a sauce guy. He admitted this was the first pizza he’s had with no sauce on it, but he liked it so much he wanted to go back again last weekend (we didn’t, but we will go again soon I’m sure).
The crust was nice, too – thin, slight crisp, and foldable (like most NY style pizzas are). Really good and simple.
They’ve only got 1 size of pizza (18″ – 8 slices), only have certain toppings available, and only take cash. There’s seating in the back as well if you can’t wait to eat it and they also sell by the slice (and have calzones).
We will be back for more deliciousness!
111 Washington St
(between 1st Ave & 3rd Ave)
San Diego, CA 92103
about this site
- macaroni and cheese balls / stremicks heritage organic milk + giveaway
- my salty obsession / win a tropical sea salt
- blogiversary week + giveaway to big bite bacon fest
- mushroom + cheese feast [bacon wrapped mushrooms & mushroom souffle]
- red velvet donuts at granny’s donuts / lakewood, ca
- via lago trattoria by busalacchi / eastlake – chula vista, ca
- tropical star restaurant & specialty market / clairemont – san diego, ca
- can cheddar make the breadstick better? / o’s american kitchen
- d bar / hillcrest – san diego
- [event] coast of pacific beach restaurant walk
- my salty obsession / win a tropical sea salt (6)
- blogiversary week + giveaway to big bite bacon fest (13)
- Soo: I love bacon burgers at Hodad’s!