I don’t remember where I first read about Bronx Pizza, but I’d been wanting to go there for awhile. Last Friday on what I’ve dubbed our “Pizza Nights” we headed over to Hillcrest to try out their thin crust, NY style pizza. I wanted to get a Whitestone Pizza ($15) – all cheese with garlic and no tomato sauce. Jake, who loves tomato sauce on pizza like no other (he usually orders pizza’s with extra sauce), wasn’t sure about the all-cheese decision and ordered the pizza with half tomato sauce.
When I first took a bite of a slice with the tomato sauce, it didn’t taste too bad. But then I ate just a slice of the cheese with no sauce – which has mozzarella, ricotta, garlic and parmesan. The all-cheesy slice is super, awesomely good. I love ricotta on pizza, too, and it was spread thin across the whole pie, giving it a slightly creamy, sweet flavor. After eating a regular slice, eating another with the pizza sauce on it just kills the pizza. Jake even agreed, which I found surprising, since he’s such a sauce guy. He admitted this was the first pizza he’s had with no sauce on it, but he liked it so much he wanted to go back again last weekend (we didn’t, but we will go again soon I’m sure).
The crust was nice, too – thin, slight crisp, and foldable (like most NY style pizzas are). Really good and simple.
They’ve only got 1 size of pizza (18″ – 8 slices), only have certain toppings available, and only take cash. There’s seating in the back as well if you can’t wait to eat it and they also sell by the slice (and have calzones).
We will be back for more deliciousness!
111 Washington St
(between 1st Ave & 3rd Ave)
San Diego, CA 92103
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- tom’s chinese bbq + dim sum / city heights – san diego
- peri peri / torrey highlands – san diego, ca
- firehouse subs revisit + giveaway!
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca
- red lobster / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- fluffy duffy’s snow cream / college – san diego, ca
- [recipe/review] peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- [product review] – DressTiez clothing protector bib
- hogetsu bakery / chula vista, ca
- teriyaki grill / chula vista, ca
- tom’s chinese bbq + dim sum / city heights – san diego (7)
- Kirbie: I love those little footballs. Hehe. You can find them at most dim sum places which is nice. Hmm, I think the bun you got in the last picture is the...
- mary: Hi CC – Um. Yeah, I *think* I’m gonna have to pass on the pig rectum for all subsequent visits…
- caninecologne: Yum, pig rectum. Not. At least you guys tried this place out and liked a few things!
- mary: Hi Faye – I was excited that it was so cheap! I wasn’t really that grossed out by the windows/panels, either, it was like… it made it...
- Faye: Oh man you made out like a bandit! I’m not sure why I’m not grossed out by the yucky window food panel thingies. I think I’m just...
- mary: Hi Teresa – Oh, that’s a good way to describe them, they were sort of football shaped haha!
- teresa: xian shui jiao are the best!! i call them little footballs.