I don’t remember where I first read about Bronx Pizza, but I’d been wanting to go there for awhile. Last Friday on what I’ve dubbed our “Pizza Nights” we headed over to Hillcrest to try out their thin crust, NY style pizza. I wanted to get a Whitestone Pizza ($15) – all cheese with garlic and no tomato sauce. Jake, who loves tomato sauce on pizza like no other (he usually orders pizza’s with extra sauce), wasn’t sure about the all-cheese decision and ordered the pizza with half tomato sauce.
When I first took a bite of a slice with the tomato sauce, it didn’t taste too bad. But then I ate just a slice of the cheese with no sauce – which has mozzarella, ricotta, garlic and parmesan. The all-cheesy slice is super, awesomely good. I love ricotta on pizza, too, and it was spread thin across the whole pie, giving it a slightly creamy, sweet flavor. After eating a regular slice, eating another with the pizza sauce on it just kills the pizza. Jake even agreed, which I found surprising, since he’s such a sauce guy. He admitted this was the first pizza he’s had with no sauce on it, but he liked it so much he wanted to go back again last weekend (we didn’t, but we will go again soon I’m sure).
The crust was nice, too – thin, slight crisp, and foldable (like most NY style pizzas are). Really good and simple.
They’ve only got 1 size of pizza (18″ – 8 slices), only have certain toppings available, and only take cash. There’s seating in the back as well if you can’t wait to eat it and they also sell by the slice (and have calzones).
We will be back for more deliciousness!
111 Washington St
(between 1st Ave & 3rd Ave)
San Diego, CA 92103
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because)
- firehouse subs / sports arena – san diego, ca
- turkey day!
- lunching with co-workers
- thanksgiving side suggestions
- san diego pretzel company + giveaway!
- dinosaurs and date shake tasting – hadley vs shields / palm springs, ca
- mamma teresa / poway – san diego, ca
- bears den at pine knot guest ranch / big bear lake, ca
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca (6)
- mary: Oh I forgot you went here too! It’s not super close to my work but close enough! I’ll have to ask about the desserts sometime.
- caninecologne: Yay! I wish my work was close to this place! I’d be there like everyday! I like how open the restaurant it. Nice sparse decor too. We...
- mary: Parking is a big worry for me, too! Hard to park = I don’t want to go! Yeah, the HH prices aren’t stellar, but maybe they are just extra...
- mary: It was awesome! I even asked if they had the mushroom soup that day since I remembered the photo of it on your blog (that Dennis had) but they...
- Faye: Oh wow – your sandwich looks amazing! I like brie too – esp when it’s melted. But everything in your sandwich seems to really...
- Jinxi: Ooh yay! I’m glad you tried it out and liked it D
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because) (2)
- mary: Haha, I didn’t even see that on the menu.. I didn’t know it could be Chilean either!