[recipe] almost fried oven baked buffalo wings

Yum! I went through a hot wing phase a few years ago and we bought the huge bag of frozen (uncooked) wings from Costco. Every few days I’d pull some out and bake them up, but it wasn’t the same as frying them. If the baking soda/salt method works, I may need to make room in the freezer for a bag of wings!

(Also, wings demand blue cheese dressing; compromise would be, like, blue cheese ranch dressing…)

Hi Leanne – Even though the oven was wonky, these still tasted good. Haha, I do agree about blue cheese but it seemed silly to buy a bottle of blue cheese just for me. I’ll have to try making blue cheese dressing at home – I’ve done ranch at home and it tastes 1000 times better than store bought stuff.

2. lynn says:

Whoa that is the first time I have seen baking soda used like that. Maybe I will try something like this for hubby since he handles buffalo wings better than me! Also noticed you used a silpat mat. I have been very curious whether I should buy one if those.

Hi Lynn – The nice thing about this recipe is you can put whatever sauce you want on top – so you could do half buffalo wings for your hubby and half something else for you! I love silpat mats – I have four of them (different brands). I mostly use them for baking cookies since it helps with even cooking and there’s no chance of things sticking to the baking sheet. They’re also pretty easy to clean and reusable. I love mine!

Oh those look good!!! Baking powder part throws me off a bit though. But the wings look so crispy!!! Raw wings are expensive these days. Where did you buy yours? I want to try the flake salt in your pic too.

Hi Faye – I know, the baking powder sounds weird but it’s kind of magical. I got my wings at Whole Foods because I had a gift card but normally I would get them at Fresh & Easy. They have them fresh & frozen there.

4. Oh my! I love buffalo wings. Perfect for game day.

5. Barbara says:

Haha, he IS lucky he’s cute! Blue cheese all the way baby. Seriously, though, this method looks great. I’m going to have to try it.

6. Oh! I’m going to have to try the baking powder trick next time I make wings! 🙂

7. Robert says:

I toss them in peanut oil half way through the second cook and they are just as good as fried.