I went to Milo’s Pizza on a whim. I was at Jake’s waiting for him to come home from work and wanted to have some pizza ready for him. I went and got a couple of pizzas and some garlic bread. It was the garlic bread that hooked me – nice, thick sourdough with lots of crunch!
Jake and I finally came back recently so Jake could try out a pipping hot pie and have started to come here a bit more regularly.
[milo's pizza mottos]
“Yes, our slice pies are cooked in a brick oven.” (Score)
“No. We do not use sausage that looks like dog food!” (Double score)
[16" inch x-large pizza with ricotta and meatball - $11.99 + $1.50 per topping]
We ordered whole pies at first before discovering the slice specials. This one above has meatball and ricotta. The whole pie has a thin, sort of soft crust with a good amount of sauce. I liked how their sauce tasted – not too tangy and not overly sweet. Everything tasted fresh!
[sourdough garlic bread - 4 slices for $2.49 (i had already eaten a slice...)]
I love how thickly cut the slices of garlic bread are – nice, hearty slices of sourdough. Not too heavy with the garlic (not enough in my opinion) so it will sit well with most folks. Little sprinkle of herbs in there, too, but it’s just a hint.
Next up… the slice specials – cheap and delicious!
[slices special - 2 slices of extra large pizza + a drink for $4.50 ($0.50 cents per topping) - above has mushrooms and sausage]
The shining star here is definitely their slice special. It used to be $4 for 2 slices (cheese or pepperoni) and a drink, but when we went this past weekend, the price was upped to $4.50. Still a killer deal. You can add different toppings for $0.50 cents a pop. I usually go for the sausage and mushroom combination and put a sprinkle of red pepper flakes and extra cheese on top.
The other cool thing about getting slices is that I can get whatever I want on my slice (aka: I can have mushrooms, woo).
These are the GIANT slices from their XXL Giant Pizza – definitely worth the money! It’s for dine in or take out only.
[meatball with extra sauce on the left, sausage on the right]
Jake likes to get the slices with extra sauce on top. He orders extra sauce all of the time. He’s saucy like that.
The thing I also like about the slices is that its kind of like the pizza is getting cooked twice, resulting in a crisper bottom… which is what I love.
[basil is free on your slices]
You can also get basil added to your slices for no extra charge – how sweet! The basil gives it a little extra pop of flavor though I might want my basil a little more torn/chopped next time…
Mil’s Pizza and Subs is a great little neighborhood spot with some freshly made and tasty pizza pies. They also have “thick crust” as a “topping”… which I know I’ll have to try one of these days. If you go and check in on Foursquare (or Facebook, I believe) and show them, you’ll get a free slice!
Milo’s Pizza and Subs
6686 El Cajon Blvd. (at Montezuma)
San Diego, CA
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- ‘rita’s cantina @ harrah’s / valley center, ca
- [recipe] green bean salad + homemade bbq
- mr. peabody’s bar & grill / encinitas, ca
- supernatural sandwiches / miramar – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] taste of hillcrest coming up on april 19th, 2014 + win tickets!
- [recipe] easy one pot tomato basil pasta
- breakfast at wich addiction / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- [recipe] strawberry lime cheesecake bars
- college area taste / april 13th, 2014 + win tickets!
- babs (bao’s awesome burgers) / convoy – san diego, ca
- ‘rita’s cantina @ harrah’s / valley center, ca (4)
- mary: Hi Lynn – Yeah, it was a bummer. I think the food truck might have been a better choice, haha! I try to shy away from buffets, I never feel like...
- lynn: Awww, too bad you guys had to wait so long for mediocre food! I wonder what it would have been like (food and wait) at the first place! The food truck...
- mary: Hi Carla – I wish we had tried the taco truck instead of the restaurant!
- Carla Pullum: I was just there last night! I love getting a bite off the Taco truck and man there food is so good! Great review! You got me wanting to go...
- [giveaway] taste of hillcrest coming up on april 19th, 2014 + win tickets! (10)
- [recipe] green bean salad + homemade bbq (4)
- mary: Hi Kirk – I did the foil method the last time I tried this but I had made a few missteps with it that a) I partially wanted to see how it would...
Blogs I Follow
- my burning kitchen
- meandering eats
- three dog kitchen
- kirbie's cravings
- a radiused corner
- food is my favorite
- pink candles at ridgemont high
- convoy conquest
- san diego sugar
- rodzilla reviews
- food revu
- nerds with food
- jinxi eats
- faye's fork
- sun diego eats
- gastro bits