Archive for Cheap Eats
Jake gets to take credit for this find – a little taco shop in La Mesa that he wasn’t even sure of the name of when we were headed over to check it out.
“How will we find it then, if we don’t know the name of it?” I asked.
“We’ll find it,” he insisted.
Sure enough, there it was in the distance – Carnitas Uruapan – and it was definitely the place. We’ve been twice already and I still keep forgetting the …
T had his last little league game this past Saturday in Murphy Canyon. For his various games this season, Jake and I have tried a whole slew of various Mexican restaurants (to bring burritos to watch the games!) and of course it wasn’t until recently we found a finally found a gem.
[murphy canyon field]
It is, in of all places, in Tierrasanta. Before this I considered Tierrasanta to kind of be a wasteland as far as food was concerned. The only …
You know you live in the good old USA when a there’s a National Donut Day. Yeah, we’re crazy.
Crazy for donuts, that is!
I realized recently that I had been to like, three donut shops in the span of two weeks and I got to thinking of doing a donuts post. And when I heard that June 7th was National Donut Day, I felt like the stars were aligning so I could do this mega donut post. So here goes nothing!
I was doing my usual “find some interesting food for us to eat” search when looking for a new place to check out for lunch with my co-workers when I found Deli SA.
Deli SA serves up South African food – mostly in the form of meat pies for lunch. After a little circling around Clairemont to find just where we needed to go… and then driving to the back of the building… and then still wondering if we were going …
I’m always trying to find different and interesting places to dine and luckily my co-workers are willing to go with me to untested places for lunch. Tropical Star Restaurant & Specialty Market caught my eye because it offered an interesting number of Latin American foods. They feature Puerto Rican food but also have a little bit of “this and that” from other Latin cultures, creating an interesting mix of items available for feeding your belly.
Tropical Star is located in a …
This was an unplanned visit. Pat & Oscar’s… err, I’m sorry, O’s American Kitchen, is not really one of my favorite places to dine. But, they have really, really awesome breaksticks which does make me want to eat there once in a while, even though I don’t really like the rest of the food there. After Jake, T and I had finished watching Iron Man 3 at Parkway Plaza this weekend, we were on our way out to grab lunch …
The first time I ever went to Elidia’s Bakery was because of Jake and his love of trying new taco shops. He wanted to check out this place that can be seen right off Fairmount in City Heights. While the taco shop turned out to be nothing special, I did drag us over to Elidia’s Bakery first for some treats. We’ve back a few times since that first time and I finally snapped a few photos on one of my …
about this site
- summer cooking
- carnitas uruapan / la mesa – san diego, ca
- coast of pacific beach restaurant walk 2013 – san diego, ca
- hash brown burritos at cotijas / tierrasanta – san diego, ca
- happy national donut day!
- [recipe] root beer float cookies
- britts bbq / el segundo, ca
- d bar winner!
- baking mat winner!
- [recipe] adventures in baking: homemade cronuts
- summer cooking (4)
- mary: I still have leftover pesto, I suspect I’ll be making that dish again this week! I love eating outdoors all the time now that it’s warm...
- mary: I got the idea from Julian Pie Company! They call them something else, like “memories” or something homey like that. Really easy to make...
- caninecologne: Everything you made looks so good, especially the pesto and the corn dogs! We have to clean our grill so we can start doing up summer...
- Jinxi: Mm this post made me hungry =) I love the idea of pie crust cookies! Now I know what to do with leftover pie crust!
- carnitas uruapan / la mesa – san diego, ca (8)
- mary: Have fun on your trip! Excited to hear about you have over in Taiwan! Will definitely keep you posted about any adobada places. Maybe we just need to...
- mary: Oh! I did not even notice that on the menu, Cathy! Thanks for the tip… will have to try that next time we go here.
- mary: They were very good here. I’d probably be content with just potato tacos and rolled tacos from here!