Archive for Cheap Eats
Jake and I visited Fat Sal’s when they first opened. Jake is a huge fan of Entourage and he was pretty excited to see a venture where one of the co-owners (Jerry Ferrara) was from that show. Honestly though, that first visit we had was not too impressive: semi-cold sandwiches (which were supposed to be hot), smooshed sandwiches and funky flavors kind of made us wonder about the place. Then I went to the Pacific Beach Restaurant Walk and had …
This post is written as a part of ShopMoxie’s Best of the US Series!
San Diego is filled to the brim with fancy places here and there. As a local, you’ll rarely find me eating out Downtown or in the touristy parts of San Diego (I’m looking at you, Old Town). Instead, I like checking out the little hole in the walls for some really awesomely good and awesomely cheap eats.
1) El Comal in North Park
3946 Illinois Street, San Diego, CA …
A couple of weeks ago, I got a PR release about a new pizza spot opening up in the College area, right around the corner from where Jake lives. (Note: I did *not* get invited here, that’s just how I found out about this place!) They had just opened and we serving up Neapolitan style pizzas – something I’ve always wanted to try – so we scooted on over there to check it out.
The place was not very busy for …
Did you know that today is National Taco Day? Yeah, I didn’t either. I feel like taco day should be in another month, a Spring like month. I don’t know why though. Pretty much any day is a good day for tacos. I’m here with two things for you! 1) A list of 5 tacos (my top 5) and 2) a gift card giveaway for $25 to Rubio’s so you can get your taco on.
[avocado corn fish taco from …
For our last venture out before heading back to San Diego, we tried to go to a place I scouted out called Taqueria 2 Guys. Sadly, they were closed for some reason though their website said they should be open. I guess they were closed for the Labor Day holiday… even though it wasn’t actually Labor Day yet? We decided to instead go to a place we passed by on the way in.
On the outside, it says this place is …
When we were leaving the Civil War Reenactment, we passed right by the Donuttery. It was on my list of places to visit and I think I sort of moaned out at Jake that we just passed a donut place I wanted to go to. You see, I had gotten heat sickness while at the Civil War thing. It came on so suddenly while we were standing and listening to some tales of the blockade runners in the South and …
When I think of El Salvador now, I totally think of pupusas. Not that I really think about El Salvador all that much but now I can’t disassociate the two, but that’s okay because pupusas are DELICIOUS. More on those later. Let’s get on with the review!
Jake and I recently visited the other El Salvadorean restaurant in San Diego, appropriately called Restaurante El Salvadoreno.
[ensalada / 16oz for $2 or 32oz for $4]
I started off with an Ensalada drink. Whenever I …
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- zooies cookies / san diego, ca
- my favorite childhood treat: pocky!
- dressing rehersal at whole foods market encinitas + holiday ideas + a giveaway!
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because)
- firehouse subs / sports arena – san diego, ca
- turkey day!
- lunching with co-workers
- thanksgiving side suggestions
- san diego pretzel company + giveaway!
- zooies cookies / san diego, ca (4)
- mary: Free freshly made cookie, too, don’t forget about that part! I know, it’s SO HARD being a food blogger, trying out so many foods....
- mary: Hahah, I love your comment Jinxi, hoping you run out of gas in the area. I haven’t seen a s’mores cookie or pumpkin pie cookie like these...
- Faye: Free cookie w/ a fill up?! WTF. Why can’t they do that at other gas stations. I love how you give such a comprehensive review on each cookie....
- Jinxi: Wow! That marshmallow swirl looks really yummy (I love goopy melty marshmallow, haha) Hopefully next time I’m in the area, I also happen to...
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca (8)
- my favorite childhood treat: pocky! (4)
- mary: I always wondered why that called that one “men’” haha. Seemed so odd! I’m not a big dark chocolate fan so I’ve never...