I’m finishing off my Blogiversary Week with one last giveaway to my current favorite restaurant, which is D Bar in Hillcrest!
But don’t forget about all of the other giveaways from this past week, including:
- 2 tickets to Bacon Fest at the San Diego County Fair
- a bottle of tropical sea salt
- 2 bottles/cartons of Stremicks Heritage organic milk
- 1 baking mat for all of your baking needs
Jake and I swung by here on Wednesday night. It wasn’t my original intention to dine here – just pick up some desserts to go – but well, after twisting my arm (not), Jake suggested we have dinner at D Bar instead.
Pretty much everything we’ve had here has been great and it’s always fun trying new things. We haven’t been in for dinner before, so here’s what we had.
[crue fries - happy hour size - $5]
Crue Fries are our “we-must-order-this-STAT” item. We happened to be at D Bar for Happy Hour this time and got the happy hour size, which is a bit smaller than their regular size but equally as delicious.
[crispy chicken - happy hour - $5]
Jake also wanted to try the Crispy Chicken – these are panko crusted chicken cut into strips and served with ranch and a passonfruit bbq sauce. The chicken by itself was just okay… but paired up with one of the two sauces really transformed it and made it delicious. I don’t know if these means we’d just shove anything into our mouths to eat the sauce or what, but the sauces were YUM. The ranch was really flavorful and the passionfruit bbq sauce wasn’t like anything I’ve had before – it was not thick like a typical “bbq sauce” – a bit thinner but still made a nice coating with a real hint of sweetness from the passionfruit which really stood out.
[southern fried belgian - buttermilk fried chicken, cheesy waffle "bread" with honey mustard and sweet potato fries - $12]
Jake spotted this one on the menu and I spotted it at the table across from us. I didn’t think it was going to be a sandwich until I saw it and I was really glad we shared because this sandwich is HUGE.
The chicken is perfectly crisp and fried and the honey mustard sauce adds a lovely compliment – almost like you’re eating chicken strips again with a honey mustard dipping sauce (but you know, all gourmet-like).
The waffle acts as the “bread”. The waffle is on the soft side, probably to counteract the crispiness of the chicken so your teeth don’t hate you later for eating all crunchy things. I, of course, would have liked a *little* bit more of a crisp, but the whole thing still worked for me and was quite delicious. Freshly made waffles, freshly made chicken – sign me UP!
We had intended to ask to sub the sweet potato waffle fries but forgot to. But I ended up liking those a lot (especially dipped in that ranch sauce) so I was glad we forgot! We did make a snap decision to add on these vanilla white cheddar mashed potatoes though. If you look closely you can see specks of vanilla in the photo.
I wasn’t sure how vanilla – a thing I normally associate with sweets – would go with this savory dish but it somehow works. The vanilla flavor is definitely there – Jake at first commented that it tasted like there was “cookie dough” in the potatoes since vanilla is so strongly associated with cookies & sweets. The potatoes were creamy and that hint of vanilla just gave it that extra “what the heck is that I’m tasting” flavor to make it interesting.
[molten cake thingy that everyone has / chocolate lava cake • cocoa nib dentelle • raspberry compote • sicilian pistachio ice cream - $10]
Jake always lets me pick dessert since he knows I care about dessert more than he does. I picked the molten cake-lava thingy this time. Always such a pretty, pretty presentation!
The outside of the cake was towards the darker-chocolate side but the inside was much creamier and luscious. The pistachio ice cream was also really delicious and went surprisingly well with the chocolate. The raspberries were served warm and whole but also in a bit of its own juice, adding a slight tartness to the whole dessert.
If you’ve like to check out D Bar for yourself, I’ve got one gift card worth $25 to giveaway to one lucky reader!
Just tell me: If you win the gift card, what would you order from D Bar?
Earn additional entries by doing any of the following:
+1 entry like this post on Facebook (leave a separate comment)
+1 entry like D Bar on Facebook (leave a separate comment)
+1 entry for liking my D Bar dessert photo on Instagram (leave a comment with your instagram handle)
Contest is open to US Residents. Gift card giveaway is sponsored by D Bar San Diego. My above meal was not sponsored though – I just really love the food here! One winner will be picked to receive the $25 gift card by mail. Winner will be chosen via random.org. Contest is open until May 31, 2013 at midnight PST. Good luck!
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because)
- firehouse subs / sports arena – san diego, ca
- turkey day!
- lunching with co-workers
- thanksgiving side suggestions
- san diego pretzel company + giveaway!
- dinosaurs and date shake tasting – hadley vs shields / palm springs, ca
- mamma teresa / poway – san diego, ca
- bears den at pine knot guest ranch / big bear lake, ca
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca (6)
- mary: Oh I forgot you went here too! It’s not super close to my work but close enough! I’ll have to ask about the desserts sometime.
- caninecologne: Yay! I wish my work was close to this place! I’d be there like everyday! I like how open the restaurant it. Nice sparse decor too. We...
- mary: Parking is a big worry for me, too! Hard to park = I don’t want to go! Yeah, the HH prices aren’t stellar, but maybe they are just extra...
- mary: It was awesome! I even asked if they had the mushroom soup that day since I remembered the photo of it on your blog (that Dennis had) but they...
- Faye: Oh wow – your sandwich looks amazing! I like brie too – esp when it’s melted. But everything in your sandwich seems to really...
- Jinxi: Ooh yay! I’m glad you tried it out and liked it D
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because) (2)
- mary: Haha, I didn’t even see that on the menu.. I didn’t know it could be Chilean either!