I’ve got a confession to make: I’m kind of a salt snob.
I don’t remember the last time I bought regular table salt, and quite frankly, I see no use for it. There’s a whole array of delicious salts that exist in the world that taste a thousand times better than boring table salt.
This is my current “salt collection”. The Fleur de Sel is the most used up bottle – I use it in cooking, in desserts (it’s perfect in chocolate chip cookies).
This is the Smoked Welsh Sea Salt that I picked up in LA a couple of years ago. The smokiness adds another layer of flavor to foods. It’s almost like adding smoky bacon to a dish – but instead, it’s smoky salt!
This is a sea salt combined with honey granules so it’s got a hint of sweetness along with the coarse grain salt. I’ve topped this off on caramel cupcakes and other desserts.
This extra fine grey sea salt is one of my newest additions to my collection. It’s very fine – like a powder. I used it recently to make popcorn at home. I used coconut oil and added the grey sea salt in with the coconut oil before I added the kernels – perfectly seasoned popcorn! It stuck wonderfully.
This Mayan Sun Tropical Sea Salt is my other newest addition and my current favorite. It’s coarse and imparts a really delightful seasoned flavor to everything I’ve added it to lately – sauteed mushrooms, macaroni and cheese, scrambled eggs – just about everything is improved with a little pinch of this salt.
PS – I adore this new little container I got, which just happens to be a mini salt cellar (it was on clearance at anthropologie and the tiny spoon was what made me want to buy it).
In honor of my great love of salt, I am giving away one bottle of Mayan Sun Tropical Sea Salt so you can flavor up all of your dishes, too.
To enter this contest simply answer this question: what is your favorite salty treat?
Gain an additional entry by liking my salt cellar photo on Instagram. Leave an additional comment with your Instagram handle.
This contest is open only to US residents. One winner will be chosen via random.org and will receive one unopened bottle of Mayan Sun Tropical Sea Salt. This contest is not sponsored nor affiliated with any company – I just have a really serious love of sea salt. Entries accepted until May 28th, 2013 at midnight, PST.
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because)
- firehouse subs / sports arena – san diego, ca
- turkey day!
- lunching with co-workers
- thanksgiving side suggestions
- san diego pretzel company + giveaway!
- dinosaurs and date shake tasting – hadley vs shields / palm springs, ca
- mamma teresa / poway – san diego, ca
- bears den at pine knot guest ranch / big bear lake, ca
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca (6)
- mary: Oh I forgot you went here too! It’s not super close to my work but close enough! I’ll have to ask about the desserts sometime.
- caninecologne: Yay! I wish my work was close to this place! I’d be there like everyday! I like how open the restaurant it. Nice sparse decor too. We...
- mary: Parking is a big worry for me, too! Hard to park = I don’t want to go! Yeah, the HH prices aren’t stellar, but maybe they are just extra...
- mary: It was awesome! I even asked if they had the mushroom soup that day since I remembered the photo of it on your blog (that Dennis had) but they...
- Faye: Oh wow – your sandwich looks amazing! I like brie too – esp when it’s melted. But everything in your sandwich seems to really...
- Jinxi: Ooh yay! I’m glad you tried it out and liked it D
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because) (2)
- mary: Haha, I didn’t even see that on the menu.. I didn’t know it could be Chilean either!