frost me gourmet cupcakes / downtown san diego

1. Beautiful! The first picture totally looks like someone’s beautiful home kitchen. I thought hmm…was this invitation at the home of the cupcake shop owners?
    Jelly of your invite. Cute cupcake boutiques have a tendency to lure me in. They all look so god, especially the chocolate ones. I am a total chocolate lover.

And btw I am craving Genghis after reading your post on it, even though you said it wasn’t that spectacular. It’s been a long time. I just don’t know where to go to find good Genghis these days.

Hi Miss Kim – Yeah! When I was looking at my photos I thought it looked like a home kitchen, too, with the pretty white cabinets. Everything is so pretty in there, they did a nice job with the interior (and of course the cupcakes are so pretty).

Oh man, I’m sure there is some fabulous Mongolian grill place in LA! Fallback, you can always try and find one at the mall, haha. Yelp is your friend! Just have to take those reviews with a grain of salt.

2. Kimberlee says:

At first glance, the “how-to” instructions on the blackboard looked like “unwrap liver”. It made me think it was a gastropub at first.
    The kitchen definitely gives it that homemade ambiance and appeal. It reminds me of my kitchen, except I have a smaller sink, 1 cabinet, no counter, no “home sweet home” memorabilia, dated shag-carpet era lighting, no stools or chairs and yellow wallpaper. Alice from The Brady Bunch would feel right at home. Other than that, it’s a spitting image of my kitchen.

Haha, it does kind of look like “unwrap liver”! Sounds like this kitchen is a spitting image of yours! I’m sure you were wondering how I got into your kitchen to take photos πŸ˜‰

• Kimberlee says:

Mary, if you only knew how small my kitchen was, you’d never be able to take any distance shots. A close up of my faucet might be interesting, for all you vintage plumbing buffs. I’m loving the cute tank top so I might just combine my clothes shopping with my dessert shopping.

3. This used to be another cupcake shop before. Forgot the name. Cafe Motor in Barrio Logan also has that crazy coffee contraption. U would love their Sweetie V 12 2 towered iced coffee.

4. Cafe Moto, damn auto correct.

5. van says:

I wonder how I could get my hands on one of those shirts without going all the way there! My friend would absolutely love it!

6. Lauren says:

Drooling over here at the caramel cashew, espresso chocolate cherry, and vanilla chai. Holy cow, those flavor combinations sound incredible! And gorgeous decor, wow, elegant and simply stunning looking. So chic! Fancy coffee? Count me in!! I need to get on the cupcake train beyond Pure Cupcakes.

Hi Lauren – I’ve been to many cupcake shops in town, Pure Cupcakes is pretty good though. I’ve only been to the shop once, and they didn’t have much left. Been meaning to revisit to try their more exotic flavors. You must go cupcake exploring! πŸ™‚

7. A) Love that the vanilla one has mousse inside it, I always find vanilla a little too boring and skip over it so that adds a nice extra something to it

B) Huge fan of cherries and Luxardo maraschino cherries, that chocolate cherry one would be my choice for sureee

C) So nice meeting you for a second at the Thrillist event! And have to give it to you, the Greengo grilled cheese with pork belly was delicioussss πŸ˜‰

Hi J.S.!
      A) Yesssss. I loved that extra bit, it made the vanilla cake much more special!
      B) You’d love the cherry one then. Minion had it this past weekend and he loved it.
      c) YAY I was so happy to have finally met you, thanks for saying hi!! Oh my god I want to eat that grilled cheese again. I hope it’s an offering at their truck now…. I wish, I wish, I wish! πŸ™‚

8. Kirbie says:

I remember when they had a pop-up shop inside UTC. I’m happy to hear it will be a permanent kiosk soon. I am really curious to try out the cupcakes. Their name keeps reminding me of the movie How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days when they came up with that theme “frost yourself”

Hi Kirbie – I laughed out loud when I read your comment about “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days!” So funny! I read on their FB page that the kiosk should be open this week. It did look at set up and ready to go last week when I visited so hopefully next time it will actually be open. They told me about a strawberry cupcake with freeze dried strawberries that sounded really good to me.