I feel like I am battling and fighting off a cold right now. Let’s keep this short and sweet!
I originally came to Luong Hai Kyfor one of their kick ass lunch specials (garlic chili pork chop for $6.55) but I didn’t take any photos of that because I didn’t feel like it that day. A few weeks later I took Jake and T here for a little dinner.
[egg rolls - $5.95]
I want to eat egg rolls, like, all of the time. Just put them in my mouth already! BUT – I’m not a huge fan of veggie egg rolls with all of that filler crap, like cabbage and bean sprouts. That doesn’t make me happy, but these egg rolls do!
I’m usually too busy eating these and stuffing them into my face to figure out what’s inside exactly but it is delicious.
My favorite part is wrapping them in mint leaves and lettuce and then dipping them in fish sauce. The mint makes my day with that extra fresh, bright taste added to the hot egg rolls. They’re always served HOT – like, almost too hot to handle, but I love that, too. Don’t serve me lukewarm food! Makes me angry! Grrr.
[chinese sausage, bbq pork, shrimp fried rice - $7.50]
Jake wanted to get this one. Whenever we go get Vietnamese sandwiches he gets the “Asian” sausage one so he wanted to try it out in a fried rice. It was pretty darn tasty and of course I got all of the shrimp (though there wasn’t a lot of shrimp in there to being with, but that’s okay). I deftly avoided those evil peas. Overall this rice had a nice flavor with the mix of meats.
Looking over the menu onlineI can’t figure out exactly what it was I ordered here. I’m pretty sure it’s a BBQ Pork dish on dry egg noodles with broth on the side, but I don’t remember what the “official” name/price of this was. Oops.
I spooned a bit of everything here and poured some of their broth over it and ate it partially like a soup. I liked the yellow egg noodles that are served with this. You also have a choice of the white rice noodles if you want those instead.
Jake and T wasn’t really digging on this – they preferred the version we had down in City Heights at Minh Ky. I tend to agree on that point. The noodles tasted a little overcooked.
The broth tasted a little different on my second visit – it was much better the first time, but I’m not sure why. It was served a little lukewarm (hmmm) and so, who knows what happened there. I know I liked it during lunch time, but this time around it was just “eh”.
They’ve got quite an extenstive menu and lunch specials are definitely worth it. I’d come back and try that pork chop again (and hopefully get photos and not be lazy). This place is part Vietnamese and part Chinese (though it says “Chinese” in the name) mixed together, except they don’t have Pho on the menu and they have multiple kinds of noodles. It’s worth a shot and is reasonably priced, especially if you’re going for lunch.
Okay, time to go to bed and hibernate and hope this sore throat thing has magically vanished by the time morning rolls around. *crosses fingers*
Luong Hai Ky
(in Target shopping center)
10606 Camino Ruiz #2
San Diego, CA 92111
- [recipe] pork chops and plum sauce
- triple lobsters at fishtales in hatfield, ma
- rubio’s california bowl / utc
- wienerschnitzel hot dogs
- lemon ginger ice box cake for alex’s lemonade stand & melissa’s produce challenge
- wings and fish / encanto
- danny’s donuts / vista
- peppertree frosty / vista
- berkeley pizza / downtown san diego
- bruxie / college area – san diego, ca
- [recipe] pork chops and plum sauce (1)
- J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats: Wow don’t think I’ve ever had real plum sauce but I like the...
- triple lobsters at fishtales in hatfield, ma (8)
- J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats: Everything looks so meh except for the lobsters! That is such weirdly pale...
- caninecologne: East Coast folks are so lucky to have lobster in abundance and at low prices too!...
- Jinxi: $20 for 3 lobsters! Crazy! Also, I love the description of your lobster shirt with people...
- Kirbie: i miss how cheap lobster is on the east coast!
Blogs I Follow
- my burning kitchen
- three dog kitchen
- kirbie's cravings
- a radiused corner
- food is my favorite
- pink candles at ridgemont high
- convoy conquest
- san diego sugar
- rodzilla reviews
- food revu
- nerds with food
- jinxi eats
- faye's fork
- sun diego eats