the best red velvet cupcakes in san diego (redux)

Your post SO made my morning Mary. I was laughing so hard at all the cupcake comments b/c it totally brought back memories from Saturday. Some of the comments were truly hilarious. I’m glad Purple Glitterina won πŸ™‚

I didn’t even *think* about eating something salty to offset the sugar afterwards.

Thanks again for planning this – let’s never do this again ok? J/k πŸ™‚

2. Kirbie says:

This was so much fun! I hope we can do this again. I’m so sorry I had to leave early and possibly messed up the results.I love that we tasted it blind because I was really surprised with some of the results.

Hi Kirbie – Oh, it’s okay, I don’t think they were messed up heehee. I’m glad you could make it, it was great having everyone there for it! Some of the results were surprising, but I liked how you could see a general agreement on the cupcakes from the comments.

I’m amused that people were disappointed that the Ralph’s cake was not a cupcake. I am also appalled that a bakery would try and top a red velvet cupcake with butterscotch frosting or plain white frosting!!

Now I’m curious how your Top 5 red velvet spots would rate with a plain vanilla or chocolate cupcake? Like, are all their cupcakes of the same caliber or is the red velvet better/worse? Sometimes I think red velvet cupcakes are a little like cheating because they come with cream cheese frosting, which makes most things better than normal.

You have to most awesome food crawls – even if this one had the “crawl” part in advance.

Hi Leanne – That’s a good question. A few of the top 5 I haven’t been to and I’d like to check out in the future. I’m sure I’ll post about it! I have some ideas already about my next crawl. Maybe chicken wings…

4. Great post Mary! Now I have to crank mine out, haha! Great idea and made for a fun but sugarfilled day!!!!

The cake “spittoon” box was pretty gross!

The worst was Bread & Cie! I feel bad that Darlene spent money on those. As for Babycakes’ version, I actually wanted BLOOD to ooze out from it. “My Bloody Valentine” cupcake I call it.

5. Carol says:

Love the post! I just looked at Elizabethan Desserts website because that color is so wrong. Their picture of the “signature” RVC doesn’t look anything like what you guys had. Much prettier on their website. I mentioned to CC that I’ve had so many awful, down right spittable RVCs in the past that I’ve stopped ordering RVCs.

Hi Carol – Well, maybe you’ll order one of the red velvets our group liked now! πŸ™‚ Maybe they were having an off day or something. Elizabethan Desserts has a really different feel to it now that they moved to a new shop. You can no longer see them baking and everything was in a larger fridge/cooler area. I hope it’s just an off day for them because I have liked their other cupcakes in the past.

6. Becky D says:

Not sure how I found your post, but it was fun to read. Sounds like a great day! I am not surprised to find Sugar & Scribe at the top of your list – they are sooo good and definitely one of my favorite bakeries. I am curious if you have ever tried Cupcakes Squared? Their “red” velvet isn’t actually red, but it’s really good and their other cupcakes are too. I think they have the very best vanilla cupcake in town and their lilikoi cupcake is really good too. I get at least those two every time I go in. I have only tried their mini cupcakes (just $2) – not sure if the cupcake size makes a difference in moistness, etc. The minis are great.

Hi Becky! I tried Cupcakes Squared a long time ago and don’t remember it. They were supposed to be in this tasting but the La Jolla location wasn’t open and it was too far for someone to go to OB – oh well! Maybe I’ll do a vanilla cupcake one next time & will include them for sure. Thanks for the tip!