Tis the season of giving! I noticed a few co-workers were giving out little goodie bags of cookies this year and I thought, “Okay, I’m game. I’ll do little cookie goodie bags, too!”
I decided to try a new recipe and also made an old favorite to include in my little goodie bags.
[The little goodie bags had Lemon Ricotta Cookies and Chocolate Caramel Crackers in the bags.]
My alterations for this year’s Chocolate Caramel Crackers were that I used 2 sticks of butter to make the topping flow a little easier. Stacey and I also did experiments earlier this month and made Bacon Chocolate Caramel Crackers. I didn’t really photograph the experiment like I should have though. What we decided is that we liked the bacon sprinkled on at the end, before you sprinkle the chocolate pieces on to melt. That way the bacon doesn’t fall off and then the bacon becomes a surprise. Also, it’s best to chop it finely so you mostly get the smoky/saltiness within the candy. Will have to properly document that later! Also, I did a batch of the caramel using sweetened condensed milk (1/2 cup) and this made for a chewier candy, which I kind of liked.
The other thing in the bag above is Giada De Laurentiis’ Lemon Ricotta Cookies. Recipe here.
These cookies are soft on the inside. I cooked them a tad longer to achieve a little brown/crispness on the bottom which added to the texture of the cookies. No one would guess there’s cheese in these cookies if you didn’t tell them, and I dug that. The ricotta makes these cookies light and fluffy with a lemony flavor.
I almost didn’t put the lemon glaze on, but they made the cookies really pretty and then I was able to add a little sprinkle of color to make the cookies more festive looking.
I definitely want to make these cookies again for a non-holiday occasion.
See that rocking looking stand above? caninecologne of Pink Candles at Ridgemont High made that for me! How cool is that?! I had to try it out the other day as a prop for displaying my baking. Thanks, CC!
about this site
- mushroom + cheese feast [bacon wrapped mushrooms & mushroom souffle]
- red velvet donuts at granny’s donuts / lakewood, ca
- via lago trattoria by busalacchi / eastlake – chula vista, ca
- tropical star restaurant & specialty market / clairemont – san diego, ca
- can cheddar make the breadstick better? / o’s american kitchen
- d bar / hillcrest – san diego
- [event] coast of pacific beach restaurant walk
- swoon dessert bar / north park – san diego
- [event] bake sale tomorrow!
- [event] dishcrawl north park / win a ticket to dishcrawl + discounts
- mushroom + cheese feast [bacon wrapped mushrooms & mushroom souffle] (2)
- mary: The recipe they posted left out a few steps and quantities, so I filled it in as best I could! My version is not exactly like theirs, but we all...
- Jinxi: Hi Mary! Looks like the recipe turned out great Sometimes I’m wary of restaurant recipes because restaurants have such different cooking and...
- red velvet donuts at granny’s donuts / lakewood, ca (11)
- [product review] plum amazins baked goods from sunsweet bakery (2)
- mary: Hi Janet – According to their website, Sunsweet Bakery products are currently available at Costco here in San Diego. http://www.sunsweetbakery....
- janet: I love the sunsweet prune walnut loaf cake. I’ve gone to difrent places w no luck. I really would love to no were I can buy them here in san...