french concession / hillcrest – san diego, ca

If you want to try dim sum from a cart, I’d recommend Emerald or Pearl (in RB, not to be confused with The Pearl in Point Loma). I know a lot of people go to Jasmine, but every time I go, I feel intimidated by the Chinese ladies pushing the carts. The ones at Emerald and Pearl just seem less intimidating.

French Concession looks good – I don’t mind paying a little more if the dishes are really good and for a nice atmosphere.

Thanks for the tips, Leanne. I’ve been want to go to Pearl but … just never managed to get over there. Less intimidating sounds better for me! I’ll have to check it out and see how it goes.

2. Lynn says:

I like Pearl too but maybe I’m a little partial. We had our wedding reception there with a delicious 10-course banquet and the manager Pauline always says hi. Plus the parking at Pearl seems much easier than Convoy!

I can’t believe you’ve never tried the shrimp on a stick! I love things like that but for the past year or two, I seem to have a tiny allergy to shrimp (puffy feeling lips but nothing else) so I limit my intake to whatever feels worth it!

Now I kind of crave the shrimp ball… thanks for the delicious looking pictures!

Pearl is definite on my list! Easier parking sounds like a blessing compared to anything on Convoy! Oh noes, shrimp allergy! At least you can still have a little bit. 🙂

• Lynn says:

I was thinking about the ‘intimidating chinese ladies’ comment above when we went to Jasmine this weekend with family but I didn’t really feel that. All I know is that the carts come in waves and lulls which kind of has you constantly waiting for the next one… that hopefully has the dish that you want. Also, we were asking about shrimp balls (thanks mary) and they kept saying “15 minutes more”. Never saw them =(

You must try a dim sum place that has the push carts! This place looks nice but kinda pricey. They serve dim sum all day right? I agree with the others that Pearl in RB has good dim sum. I did a post once about their dim sum specials (on certain weekdays, they sell their dim sum for the price of a small). So that would be a fun place for you try dim sum (with push carts).