airr supper club preview | downtown / san diego, ca

Interesting… I get that communal dining seems to be the up and coming trend, but I don’t like being forced to dine with strangers. I certainly wouldn’t like to have to share my food with them – that’s just weird (especially when it looks like the portions aren’t all that generous)! And, I agree, bars of chocolate aren’t dessert. It’s chocolate.

If they’re trying to keep people out until they’re ready, why would they have go-go dancers in the windows already?

I’m glad you got to try it out. It’ll be interesting to see how they fare once they’re open for real.

I’m so glad you did a post on this place. I think one of the discount websites (LivingSocial, etc) had something for AIRR last Fri or so and i was conflicted to buy it. And after reading your review, I’m glad I didn’t 🙂

I’m personally not a big fan of the communal thing (at least w/ a bunch of strangers I don’t know sitting at my table!).

The duck looks a bit too charred ? How did it taste – what was the sauce like? I pretty much like duck either Asian or French style.

And yeah, I agree, the pieces of chocolate is strange. I can go to whole foods and get expensive candy bars, break them up, and eat them at home.

Nice post!

(BTW – i love your blog! Found it via Kirbie)

3. mary says:

Hi Leanne –
    Yeah, maybe I’m anti-social, but I’m not into communal dining with strangers. It’s okay at preview events, but in general… no, not really. The dessert portion was really, really disappointing to me. I’m not sure if I expressed that enough. I’m sure it’ll do well though since it’s really pretty and Downtown and all. I go out to eat for the food though, not for the decor.

Hi Faye –
    Yeah, I was torn since I didn’t think I had a ton of nice things to say, but it is what it is! The duck was fine, it wasn’t terrible. The sauce wasn’t really noticeable to me but the duck was tender and the char gave it a nice flavor, it wasn’t overdone. The chocolate thing – ugh – yeah, I can get my own candy bars, thanks!

4. Darlene says:

Admittedly I’m a sucker for these trendy restaurants UNTIL I try the food and am disappointed like you were.

They should rethink the communal dining thing especially if the prices are as high as you indicated. As for the red room, that would put me on edge too much. Something about the color suggests it increases agressiveness in people. I doubt they want that before people have the opportunity to try their food.

5. mary says:

Hi Darlene –
    I didn’t think about the red being aggressive, but I can see how it could be construed that way. When we first walked into the red room we were quite impressed. The design of the place is nice – even the white room is stunning though minimal. But still… the food should be as impressive as the decor.

6. hi mary – interesting concept, but one that i would probably pass on. i’m pretty anti-social and i would hate sharing my food with people. even with my own family! the other problem i see with sharing is that there is always going to be at least one item that no one else wants to eat and that person ends up getting shafted. unless you order a bunch of dishes so everyone is happy. the high prices are paying their rent. that’s pretty $#%^ and lazy of them to pass off chopped up chocolate bars as dessert too.

the restaurant itself looks quite hip and trendy. the red room especially. i see it as rather ‘sexy’ – ooh la la. the white room looks like something out of star wars, specifically cloud city/bespin. you know, lando calrissian’s domain? 🙂 ha ha.

word ver is:
    almond

as in Marc Almond (former lead singer of Soft Cell)

7. mary says:

Hey CC – It’s funny you made the Star Wars reference! Jake is a HUGE Star Wars geek so I found that pretty amusing. I think I didn’t “get it” about the social dining experience over all. I know they are trying to encourage a certain kind of atmosphere and if that’s your thing, then great. Us anti-social folks will just stay out of the mix 😀

8. the sonomo duck plate looks very tasty. I love duck, from the first look, it looked like beef steaks. The name of the dishes are very interesting! Yummy, the place looks good!