(Note: Now edited with additional photos!) This is what I did last night instead of doing a review post! I made a cake for Jake’s daughter’s birthday. It will end up being a My Little Pony cake once we get the ponies but for now it just looks like a rainbow cake. Last year I did a surprise rainbow on the inside of her Skylander’s cake and so I sort of did the opposite of last year. Her favorite pony is Rainbow Dash, hence the rainbow themes. The inside of this cake is bluish-green since I forgot to buy white cake mix. Duh. It was supposed to just be pure blue was it would be like a sky on the inside. Oh well, the thought was there.
I found a bag of mini M&M’s at Wal-Mart and I thought they’d be perfect for this project! While I had the crumb coat setting, I got to work on separating out the M&M’s. The obsessive compulsive bit inside of me was excited about this, but the lazy part of me was like, “Why did you think this was a good idea again?”
After putting on another coat of frosting, I set to work on adding on the M&M’s. I made sure no M sides were showing.
Starting to look like a rainbow.
My favorite color!
Hello, blue. You can see I have a bit of a gap up there at the top. I wasn’t planning on using the brown…
But then I did use it just so I would have another layer. And then I colored some frosting purple to complete the top. Okay, so it’s not a true rainbow but so what. I think it still looks neat!
I added these pretty pink candy coated pearls (found at Wal-Mart for $1) around the edge as another border. That rice krispy treat will be a pedestal for the Rainbow Dash pony we have and then we’re going to buy a couple more ponies to put on top. So just imagine the ponies are there, okay? I’ll update this post later with additional photos of the complete cake and the inside!
Phew, another cake done. This took a surprising amount of time but at least it was pretty easy to do!
Happy Friday! Hope you’ve got some fun plans this weekend!
Edited! I now have photos of the inside of the cake plus the birthday girl looking as happy as a teenager could (ie: no smiling).
Blowing out the candles!
View with the Rainbow Dash pony on her little pedestal.
We went to Mandarin Chinese for dinner where they gave us this big ass knife for slicing the cake. I felt like I could travel through the jungle with this thing.
The inside of the cake! It’s not as blue as I wanted it to be since I forgot the cake mix was YELLOW (yes, I used a cake mix, sue me) so it’s sort green-ish. But who cares.
One pretty slice! There are pecans in the middle if you’re wondering what that brown stuff is.
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- firehouse subs revisit + giveaway!
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca
- red lobster / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- fluffy duffy’s snow cream / college – san diego, ca
- [recipe/review] peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- [product review] – DressTiez clothing protector bib
- hogetsu bakery / chula vista, ca
- teriyaki grill / chula vista, ca
- revisit to callahan’s / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- veggie grill / utc – la jolla, ca
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca (7)
- Kirk: Hi Mary – This place is terrible, tried it about 3-4 times when we moved a couple of miles away. Bitter orange juice, SYSCO products at...
- mary: Haha I thought so
- J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats: Sorry the food was kindof mediocre…however “barfed flowers all over the place” is the most perfect description for...
- mary: Hi CC – The one in Clairemont is kind of hidden, too. Must be some kind of weird theme… the wallpaper is pretty bad. I could also see the...
- caninecologne: Man, i’ve NEVER heard of this place and there’s one in CV too? gotta look that up or drive by or something. update – just...
- dave and buster’s – mission valley / san diego, ca (5)