(Note: Now edited with additional photos!) This is what I did last night instead of doing a review post! I made a cake for Jake’s daughter’s birthday. It will end up being a My Little Pony cake once we get the ponies but for now it just looks like a rainbow cake. Last year I did a surprise rainbow on the inside of her Skylander’s cake and so I sort of did the opposite of last year. Her favorite pony is Rainbow Dash, hence the rainbow themes. The inside of this cake is bluish-green since I forgot to buy white cake mix. Duh. It was supposed to just be pure blue was it would be like a sky on the inside. Oh well, the thought was there.
I found a bag of mini M&M’s at Wal-Mart and I thought they’d be perfect for this project! While I had the crumb coat setting, I got to work on separating out the M&M’s. The obsessive compulsive bit inside of me was excited about this, but the lazy part of me was like, “Why did you think this was a good idea again?”
After putting on another coat of frosting, I set to work on adding on the M&M’s. I made sure no M sides were showing.
Starting to look like a rainbow.
My favorite color!
Hello, blue. You can see I have a bit of a gap up there at the top. I wasn’t planning on using the brown…
But then I did use it just so I would have another layer. And then I colored some frosting purple to complete the top. Okay, so it’s not a true rainbow but so what. I think it still looks neat!
I added these pretty pink candy coated pearls (found at Wal-Mart for $1) around the edge as another border. That rice krispy treat will be a pedestal for the Rainbow Dash pony we have and then we’re going to buy a couple more ponies to put on top. So just imagine the ponies are there, okay? I’ll update this post later with additional photos of the complete cake and the inside!
Phew, another cake done. This took a surprising amount of time but at least it was pretty easy to do!
Happy Friday! Hope you’ve got some fun plans this weekend!
Edited! I now have photos of the inside of the cake plus the birthday girl looking as happy as a teenager could (ie: no smiling).
Blowing out the candles!
View with the Rainbow Dash pony on her little pedestal.
We went to Mandarin Chinese for dinner where they gave us this big ass knife for slicing the cake. I felt like I could travel through the jungle with this thing.
The inside of the cake! It’s not as blue as I wanted it to be since I forgot the cake mix was YELLOW (yes, I used a cake mix, sue me) so it’s sort green-ish. But who cares.
One pretty slice! There are pecans in the middle if you’re wondering what that brown stuff is.
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- cape town pub south african fusion / miramar – san diego, ca
- ‘rita’s cantina @ harrah’s / valley center, ca
- [recipe] green bean salad + homemade bbq
- mr. peabody’s bar & grill / encinitas, ca
- supernatural sandwiches / miramar – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] taste of hillcrest coming up on april 19th, 2014 + win tickets!
- [recipe] easy one pot tomato basil pasta
- breakfast at wich addiction / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- [recipe] strawberry lime cheesecake bars
- college area taste / april 13th, 2014 + win tickets!
- cape town pub south african fusion / miramar – san diego, ca (8)
- mary: Hi CC – I think you’ll like it here! There’s so much more stuff to try and it’s as good as it was at Deli SA – plus more...
- mary: Hi J.S. – Thank you! I visited Brazil by the Bay awhile good – that place is good, too. Though mostly I just remember the cheese bread.
- caninecologne: Gotta check this out! I remember liking their meat pies from the one time I went when they were still Deli SA (after that family nearly...
- J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats: Your picture of the sandwich + fries is amazing! And I think I would love the milk tart too. This place reminds of Brazil by the Bay...
- mary: Hi Jinxi – I hope you do! They have interesting looking stuff on their menu. I also want to try all of their desserts again!
- Jinxi: Mm I’ll have to check out this place! I’ve never had South African cuisine before. The desserts look yummy, and I’m quite intrigued...
- jeong won korean bbq buffet / kearny mesa – san diego, ca (9)
- Truely: Taegukgi is over price. They don’t explain much between 21.99 and 25.99. Sorry, it is my first and last. I will explain to all my friends. word...
Blogs I Follow
- my burning kitchen
- meandering eats
- three dog kitchen
- kirbie's cravings
- a radiused corner
- food is my favorite
- pink candles at ridgemont high
- convoy conquest
- san diego sugar
- rodzilla reviews
- food revu
- nerds with food
- jinxi eats
- faye's fork
- sun diego eats
- gastro bits