After my little solo trip to Heaven Sent and after Jake’s game that evening, I suggested we head over to The Haven Pizzeria in Kensington for dinner. I had a LivingSocial deal and had read about the pizza spot on CC’s blog and I had a hankering to visit.
[haven twists - parmesan & garlic bread sticks / $4.99]
I can never resist a breadstick, even though we’re already eating pizza. I’ll have more carbs with my carbs, thank you! The breadsticks looked really good with that Parmesan and garlic all over it, but I thought they were too thin. The thinness made them more crunchy than they should be, so they were a bit dried out. The flavor was good but it didn’t seem like there was enough soft, fluffy bread in there.We did get a choice of two dipping sauces and we got the roasted garlic sauce and the spicy pizza. The roasted garlic sauce was excellent – good amount of garlic without being overpowering. The spicy pizza was also good – it was a marinara sauce with a little heat, but not so much heat that I couldn’t handle it.
This appetizer seemed a bit on the pricey side since we only got 5 breadsticks. That’s a dollar a piece!
[dave's meatballs - meatballs baked in tomato sauce, topped with parmesan / $7.99]
The meatballs came out pipping hot and I loved how the cheese got a little crusty around the edges. The meatballs again were just okay, nothing special about them and again I didn’t think this was quite worth the price.
[caesar salad / $5.99 small]
The Caesar salad was pretty good. I liked the lightly tossed dressing and the homemade croutons tossed in the salad. I also like that they did shavings of Parmesan on the salad.
[build your own pizza with candied bacon, mascarpone cheese and red sauce]
CC had mentioned that she got a pizza with mascarpone cheese on top, as recommended by the staff. This I had to try out! I really liked the mascarpone cheese with it since it has that extra bit of sweetness. Normally I prefer ricotta, but mascarpone was a nice substitute for it here (though I still think I like ricotta a bit better).
I surprised Jake by requesting we try the red sauce instead of going for garlic, but I felt like I wanted to try a more basic pizza. The candied bacon was a bit overkill to me since it was sweet protein piled on top of a sweet creamy cheese. It needed something else to break up the sweetness – some onions or garlic or something salty. This was our own fault though since we weren’t sure how the flavors would all mix in together. Don’t get me wrong – the candied bacon was excellent, but I had already topped out on my limit of sweet things for the day!
The crust’s bottom was done nicely with a good enough browning. This is a bit thicker than NY style thin crust and it held up well without being too soggy on the top. It wasn’t quite crunchy, but the crust had a good chew and flavor.
Would I come back? Yes, I would – but I’d skip the appetizers and go for more trying more pizza combinations. They have a “PBTO” which has hazelnut pesto, candied bacon, tomato and caramelized onion which sounds really good to me (especially the pesto part). I might even be willing to try their “Spicy Pesto” which has the spicy pizza sauce with hazelnut pesto, fresh basil and fresh mozzarella. They have some good creations and a good amount of different toppings (artichoke, brussel sprouts or pepper jack cheese, anyone?) and also offer wheat and gluten free crusts for an additional charge. I think it’s safe to say that we’ll back to try more items at The Haven!
The Haven Pizzeria
4051 Adams Ave.
San Diego, CA 92116
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- ‘rita’s cantina @ harrah’s / valley center, ca
- [recipe] green bean salad + homemade bbq
- mr. peabody’s bar & grill / encinitas, ca
- supernatural sandwiches / miramar – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] taste of hillcrest coming up on april 19th, 2014 + win tickets!
- [recipe] easy one pot tomato basil pasta
- breakfast at wich addiction / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- [recipe] strawberry lime cheesecake bars
- college area taste / april 13th, 2014 + win tickets!
- babs (bao’s awesome burgers) / convoy – san diego, ca
- ‘rita’s cantina @ harrah’s / valley center, ca (4)
- mary: Hi Lynn – Yeah, it was a bummer. I think the food truck might have been a better choice, haha! I try to shy away from buffets, I never feel like...
- lynn: Awww, too bad you guys had to wait so long for mediocre food! I wonder what it would have been like (food and wait) at the first place! The food truck...
- mary: Hi Carla – I wish we had tried the taco truck instead of the restaurant!
- Carla Pullum: I was just there last night! I love getting a bite off the Taco truck and man there food is so good! Great review! You got me wanting to go...
- [giveaway] taste of hillcrest coming up on april 19th, 2014 + win tickets! (10)
- [recipe] green bean salad + homemade bbq (4)
- mary: Hi Kirk – I did the foil method the last time I tried this but I had made a few missteps with it that a) I partially wanted to see how it would...
Blogs I Follow
- my burning kitchen
- meandering eats
- three dog kitchen
- kirbie's cravings
- a radiused corner
- food is my favorite
- pink candles at ridgemont high
- convoy conquest
- san diego sugar
- rodzilla reviews
- food revu
- nerds with food
- jinxi eats
- faye's fork
- sun diego eats
- gastro bits