First things first. If you visit the blog on a regular basis, you’ll see a couple of minor tweaks. I’ve been wanting to redo the blog and rename it for awhile but didn’t really feel like actually having to hassle with it and move it, so I just did a few minor tweaks – oh, and gee, changed the name of the blog. No biggie. You like?
Onto the food!
Last week Jake and I were going to go Downtown to check out a new stand-up comic, but I ended up not being in the mood to traverse Downtown. Instead, we went to get dessert. Dessert makes me happy. Trying to park Downtown does not. Dessert wins!
Cafe Hue is a little cafe over on Convoy Street in Kearny Mesa. They have a few different offerings, including waffles, crepes, gelatos and coffees.
Jake, T and I sampled a the lot of them. We tried the taro, honeydew, nutella, green tea, and even the black sesame gelato. I didn’t like the green tea at all – I just don’t dig that flavor. The sesame was really surprising – it tasted exactly like roasted sesame seeds, but creamy. It kind of freaked me out a little.
Also, trying honeydew RIGHT AFTER sesame is a bad idea. Ugh.
Other flavors included coffee, mango (the bright yellow one), cheesecake, mint, vanilla bean, tiramsu, and strawberry. A lot to choose from!
Jake and I both got gelatos. T got the Taro, which is the purple one on the right. It was very creamy and sweet, a little too sweet for my tastes. Jake ended up getting the honeydew. After I cleansed my palette a little, I tried it again it was very tasty with a strong flavor of honeydew. Not as sweet tasting as the taro, so very nice.
I went all fancy and got a Nutella Waffle with Vanilla Bean gelato.
They make the waffles there on the premises and them smother it in nutella, with a scoop of gelato on top. The nice, warm, crunchy waffle provided the perfect base for both the nutella and gelato. The nutella melted in just a bit and the gelato softened up, making for a great creamy and crunchy dessert.
I’d like to visit again and try out a crepe and see if they rotate any of their gelato flavors to see what other gelatos they come up with!
3860 Convoy St
San Diego, CA 92111
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- ‘rita’s cantina @ harrah’s / valley center, ca
- [recipe] green bean salad + homemade bbq
- mr. peabody’s bar & grill / encinitas, ca
- supernatural sandwiches / miramar – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] taste of hillcrest coming up on april 19th, 2014 + win tickets!
- [recipe] easy one pot tomato basil pasta
- breakfast at wich addiction / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- [recipe] strawberry lime cheesecake bars
- college area taste / april 13th, 2014 + win tickets!
- babs (bao’s awesome burgers) / convoy – san diego, ca
- ‘rita’s cantina @ harrah’s / valley center, ca (2)
- [giveaway] taste of hillcrest coming up on april 19th, 2014 + win tickets! (10)
- [recipe] green bean salad + homemade bbq (4)
- Lemon Month at Souplantation – and a Giveaway! (31)
- Wendy: Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup sounds delicious! Thanks!
Blogs I Follow
- my burning kitchen
- meandering eats
- three dog kitchen
- kirbie's cravings
- a radiused corner
- food is my favorite
- pink candles at ridgemont high
- convoy conquest
- san diego sugar
- rodzilla reviews
- food revu
- nerds with food
- jinxi eats
- faye's fork
- sun diego eats
- gastro bits