I used to frequent Big Joy Family Bakery back in the day but hadn’t been there in quite some time. To be honest, I kind of forgot about it. Until I saw these beautiful, brightly colored french macarons on CC’s (one of many posts!) and CAB’s blogs, reminding me all about this place!
Course, it took me awhile to finally make it over here. But so glad I did!
I love, love, love the colors on these beautiful little airy cookies.
Let’s see if I can remember the flavors (from the top, on the red one, clockwise): Red Velvet, Pistachio, Chocolate, Mocha, Green Tea, Sea Salt Caramel, … I don’t remember (Almond, I think) and in the center is a Strawberry one.
I got one of every flavor that had that day since I couldn’t decide. I don’t remember the prices exactly, but I know the Red Velvet cost extra (in the $2 range) while the rest cost $1.75.
I love the crunch of the exterior of macarons. And then that chewy, light, airy center. And the fillings! Macarons are just a lovely dessert to have whenever you can get your little hands on them.
They also make for some really pretty picture taking.
My favorites? The pistachio was my top. Then the red velvet and the sea salt caramel. The only ones I didn’t really care for was the Green Tea and the Mocha. The mocha was just “okay” and I didn’t enjoy the flavor of the Green Tea one at all.
That’s about all I have to say about these for now.
You should go get some! They are good for the belly.
Big Joy Family Bakery & Cafe
4176 Convoy St
San Diego, CA 92111
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- my favorite childhood treat: pocky!
- dressing rehersal at whole foods market encinitas + holiday ideas + a giveaway!
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because)
- firehouse subs / sports arena – san diego, ca
- turkey day!
- lunching with co-workers
- thanksgiving side suggestions
- san diego pretzel company + giveaway!
- dinosaurs and date shake tasting – hadley vs shields / palm springs, ca
- my favorite childhood treat: pocky! (1)
- Faye: My sis and I grew up on Pocky too. We adored it (just the regular ones dipped in chocolate). I’ve wanted to try the Matcha Pocky but it’s...
- dressing rehersal at whole foods market encinitas + holiday ideas + a giveaway! (2)
- mary: I bought the dried porcini so it was a little less expensive. I didn’t need a ton of it either, so I just looked through them all until I found...
- Faye: That mushroom salt is a killer idea! I love it. I’ve seen their dried mushroom section in the Del Mar location but it was soooo expensive. I...
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca (6)
- mary: Oh I forgot you went here too! It’s not super close to my work but close enough! I’ll have to ask about the desserts sometime.
- caninecologne: Yay! I wish my work was close to this place! I’d be there like everyday! I like how open the restaurant it. Nice sparse decor too. We...
- mary: Parking is a big worry for me, too! Hard to park = I don’t want to go! Yeah, the HH prices aren’t stellar, but maybe they are just extra...
- mary: It was awesome! I even asked if they had the mushroom soup that day since I remembered the photo of it on your blog (that Dennis had) but they...