I used to frequent Big Joy Family Bakery back in the day but hadn’t been there in quite some time. To be honest, I kind of forgot about it. Until I saw these beautiful, brightly colored french macarons on CC’s (one of many posts!) and CAB’s blogs, reminding me all about this place!
Course, it took me awhile to finally make it over here. But so glad I did!
I love, love, love the colors on these beautiful little airy cookies.
Let’s see if I can remember the flavors (from the top, on the red one, clockwise): Red Velvet, Pistachio, Chocolate, Mocha, Green Tea, Sea Salt Caramel, … I don’t remember (Almond, I think) and in the center is a Strawberry one.
I got one of every flavor that had that day since I couldn’t decide. I don’t remember the prices exactly, but I know the Red Velvet cost extra (in the $2 range) while the rest cost $1.75.
I love the crunch of the exterior of macarons. And then that chewy, light, airy center. And the fillings! Macarons are just a lovely dessert to have whenever you can get your little hands on them.
They also make for some really pretty picture taking.
My favorites? The pistachio was my top. Then the red velvet and the sea salt caramel. The only ones I didn’t really care for was the Green Tea and the Mocha. The mocha was just “okay” and I didn’t enjoy the flavor of the Green Tea one at all.
That’s about all I have to say about these for now.
You should go get some! They are good for the belly.
Big Joy Family Bakery & Cafe
4176 Convoy St
San Diego, CA 92111
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- peri peri / torrey highlands – san diego, ca
- firehouse subs revisit + giveaway!
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca
- red lobster / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- fluffy duffy’s snow cream / college – san diego, ca
- [recipe/review] peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- [product review] – DressTiez clothing protector bib
- hogetsu bakery / chula vista, ca
- teriyaki grill / chula vista, ca
- revisit to callahan’s / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- peri peri / torrey highlands – san diego, ca (2)
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca (8)
- mary: Hi Kirk – Wow, you tried it 3-4 times?! I’m glad someone else can confirm that it wasn’t just me who had a bad meal!
- Kirk: Hi Mary – This place is terrible, tried it about 3-4 times when we moved a couple of miles away. Bitter orange juice, SYSCO products at...
- mary: Haha I thought so
- J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats: Sorry the food was kindof mediocre…however “barfed flowers all over the place” is the most perfect description for...
- dave and buster’s – mission valley / san diego, ca (5)
- mary: Hi Anna – Sorry, I don’t know it! I saw this Irish Milkshake drink: http://madtini.com/the-irish-m ilkshake/ – I don’t know if...