Update: This restaurant is now closed.
I don’t get to go out for breakfast very often and when I do, I expect it to be awesome. I’ve had some good breakfasts lately, but I guess my streak had to end somewhere.
I was out one Saturday morning on my own. I had a few errands to run (namely, to get a box to hold some cupcakes I was baking for my friend, Stacey) and I wanted to sit, eat breakfast, and read for a bit. I went by Keith’s Restaurant first since it’s my go-to breakfast places and I love, love their hash browns. I pulled into the parking lot and the line of people was out the door! Whaaaaat. I was in no mood to wait. But I should have been. I really should have been. Instead I headed over into Kearny Mesa / Clairemont since I was going to stop by my favorite cake decorating store, Do It With Icing. I decided to stop by Honey’s Cafe for breakfast instead. Honey’s Cafe used to be a joint called “The Good Egg”, which had pretty good breakfasts back in the day. I gave Honey’s Cafe a shot.
There weren’t many patrons inside the restaurant and there was no waiting. I was seated quickly at a table that already had a carafe of water on the table and after ordering some coffee, the whole pot was left at my table. That’s kind of cool. No waiting to refill your own drinks.
I waited a bit for the waitress to come by and take my order. I think she was in a bad mood that day, or just unfriendly, I don’t know, but she just kind of stood there and stared at me. I told her I wasn’t ready to order yet (they have a really large menu) and then she just walked off. Um, okay.
I finally decided and it took her awhile to come back around and when she did she said, “You ready now?” I gave her my order and then she left without another word.
I ended up ordering the Biscuits and Gravy ($9.25). They look good, don’t they? If I have learned anything from all of this blogging, it’s that looks alone don’t make a good meal. The biscuits were not cooked right, they were incredibly dense and had a gluey feel in my mouth. When I eat biscuits, I expect fluffy, light biscuits, not dense and heavy with a undercooked kind of flavor. The gravy didn’t have much flavor to it either and wasn’t seasoned very well. Just a really basic white gravy. The home fries here are all right, they potatoes are peeled so there isn’t any skin and the potatoes were browned. Some bits were kind of creamy, other bits of potatoes were quite dry. It was so-so. At least the eggs and the sausage patty were fine? For something priced this high, it should tasted a heck of a lot better.
My waitress was absent for quite some time. She never came to check on me (maybe she figured it wasn’t necessary since I had my own water and coffee pot?) and it took a long time to get my check. The service I received didn’t make the experience any better and I have to say I wouldn’t ever want to come back here. Oh well. Better breakfast places are on the horizon!
7947 Balboa Ave
(between Convoy St & Mercury St)
San Diego, CA 92111
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- dressing rehersal at whole foods market encinitas + holiday ideas + a giveaway!
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because)
- firehouse subs / sports arena – san diego, ca
- turkey day!
- lunching with co-workers
- thanksgiving side suggestions
- san diego pretzel company + giveaway!
- dinosaurs and date shake tasting – hadley vs shields / palm springs, ca
- mamma teresa / poway – san diego, ca
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca (6)
- mary: Oh I forgot you went here too! It’s not super close to my work but close enough! I’ll have to ask about the desserts sometime.
- caninecologne: Yay! I wish my work was close to this place! I’d be there like everyday! I like how open the restaurant it. Nice sparse decor too. We...
- mary: Parking is a big worry for me, too! Hard to park = I don’t want to go! Yeah, the HH prices aren’t stellar, but maybe they are just extra...
- mary: It was awesome! I even asked if they had the mushroom soup that day since I remembered the photo of it on your blog (that Dennis had) but they...
- Faye: Oh wow – your sandwich looks amazing! I like brie too – esp when it’s melted. But everything in your sandwich seems to really...
- Jinxi: Ooh yay! I’m glad you tried it out and liked it D
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because) (2)
- mary: Haha, I didn’t even see that on the menu.. I didn’t know it could be Chilean either!