Update: This restaurant is now closed.
I don’t get to go out for breakfast very often and when I do, I expect it to be awesome. I’ve had some good breakfasts lately, but I guess my streak had to end somewhere.
I was out one Saturday morning on my own. I had a few errands to run (namely, to get a box to hold some cupcakes I was baking for my friend, Stacey) and I wanted to sit, eat breakfast, and read for a bit. I went by Keith’s Restaurant first since it’s my go-to breakfast places and I love, love their hash browns. I pulled into the parking lot and the line of people was out the door! Whaaaaat. I was in no mood to wait. But I should have been. I really should have been. Instead I headed over into Kearny Mesa / Clairemont since I was going to stop by my favorite cake decorating store, Do It With Icing. I decided to stop by Honey’s Cafe for breakfast instead. Honey’s Cafe used to be a joint called “The Good Egg”, which had pretty good breakfasts back in the day. I gave Honey’s Cafe a shot.
There weren’t many patrons inside the restaurant and there was no waiting. I was seated quickly at a table that already had a carafe of water on the table and after ordering some coffee, the whole pot was left at my table. That’s kind of cool. No waiting to refill your own drinks.
I waited a bit for the waitress to come by and take my order. I think she was in a bad mood that day, or just unfriendly, I don’t know, but she just kind of stood there and stared at me. I told her I wasn’t ready to order yet (they have a really large menu) and then she just walked off. Um, okay.
I finally decided and it took her awhile to come back around and when she did she said, “You ready now?” I gave her my order and then she left without another word.
I ended up ordering the Biscuits and Gravy ($9.25). They look good, don’t they? If I have learned anything from all of this blogging, it’s that looks alone don’t make a good meal. The biscuits were not cooked right, they were incredibly dense and had a gluey feel in my mouth. When I eat biscuits, I expect fluffy, light biscuits, not dense and heavy with a undercooked kind of flavor. The gravy didn’t have much flavor to it either and wasn’t seasoned very well. Just a really basic white gravy. The home fries here are all right, they potatoes are peeled so there isn’t any skin and the potatoes were browned. Some bits were kind of creamy, other bits of potatoes were quite dry. It was so-so. At least the eggs and the sausage patty were fine? For something priced this high, it should tasted a heck of a lot better.
My waitress was absent for quite some time. She never came to check on me (maybe she figured it wasn’t necessary since I had my own water and coffee pot?) and it took a long time to get my check. The service I received didn’t make the experience any better and I have to say I wouldn’t ever want to come back here. Oh well. Better breakfast places are on the horizon!
7947 Balboa Ave
(between Convoy St & Mercury St)
San Diego, CA 92111
about this site
- mushroom + cheese feast [bacon wrapped mushrooms & mushroom souffle]
- red velvet donuts at granny’s donuts / lakewood, ca
- via lago trattoria by busalacchi / eastlake – chula vista, ca
- tropical star restaurant & specialty market / clairemont – san diego, ca
- can cheddar make the breadstick better? / o’s american kitchen
- d bar / hillcrest – san diego
- [event] coast of pacific beach restaurant walk
- swoon dessert bar / north park – san diego
- [event] bake sale tomorrow!
- [event] dishcrawl north park / win a ticket to dishcrawl + discounts
- in-n-out “secret menu” goodness (3)
- Randy: I also find the fresh cut fries at In-N-Out rather unappealing, and also tried the fries well-done one time. I thought they came out way too crunchy...
- mushroom + cheese feast [bacon wrapped mushrooms & mushroom souffle] (3)
- Dennis: Wow looks like you guys ate like kings! er Queens!
- mary: The recipe they posted left out a few steps and quantities, so I filled it in as best I could! My version is not exactly like theirs, but we all...
- Jinxi: Hi Mary! Looks like the recipe turned out great Sometimes I’m wary of restaurant recipes because restaurants have such different cooking and...
- red velvet donuts at granny’s donuts / lakewood, ca (11)
- mary: hahah, okay, yeah I can see that!
- [product review] plum amazins baked goods from sunsweet bakery (2)
- mary: Hi Janet – According to their website, Sunsweet Bakery products are currently available at Costco here in San Diego. http://www.sunsweetbakery....
- janet: I love the sunsweet prune walnut loaf cake. I’ve gone to difrent places w no luck. I really would love to no were I can buy them here in san...