bbq republic | carmel mountain / san diego, ca

When did Cheeburger Cheeburger go away?

I actually like the Bbq Republic menu better than Joey’s (what it used to be), even though it’s mostly the same. I just remember a couple of options that didn’t used to be there.

I think the ribs and sandwiches are the best bets here… and the onion strings. With ranch dressing. I also enjoy the baked sweet potato that’s loaded with bbq meat. Mmm…

2. mary says:

I don’t know when Cheeburger Cheeburger went away… I hardly ever go to Carmel Mtn now that there’s a Trader Joe’s in Mira Mesa! It’s so empty over there now, BBQ Republic looks lonely. If we go back I’m just getting ribs and onion strings. I didn’t see they also had a sweet potato with bbq meat! Sounds good, too.

3. Sandy says:

Same here, I didn’t know that Joeys and Cheeburger Cheeburger were gone. There’s been a lot of restaurants that have come and gone in those two storefronts. Only Rubios seems to be a constant.

I’m not a huge BBQ fan, but having a coupon helps.

I went to both Joey’s locations (while they were still Joey’s) and thought the food was ‘ok’. Their best item was their whole bbq chicken (from the Torrey Hills location).

I received the coupon magazine awhile back and was excited to see a new BBQ place called BBQ Republic – didn’t realize until after some research, it was Joey’s. But your pic of the sliders made me laugh b/c that’s exactly what was on front of the coupon magazine that made me so hungry!

Is the menu pretty much the same? It doesn’t sound like the food is all that great. I’ve only had beef ribs a few times – what’s the main difference b/w the taste of a pork and beef rib? I also like it when the meat is tender but you still gotta chew it from the bone!

Nice post!

5. mary says:

Hi Faye –
    The menu seems to be expanded to me, there are more options and more items to choose from. I didn’t have any pork ribs, just the beef. Jake noted that one of the beef ribs didn’t have a ton of meat on it so it’s not quite as generous as some places but we did both like the beef ribs (I tend to prefer beef over pork myself). It doesn’t fall off the bone, either, you still gotta chew!

6. Brookfield says:

My mouth is watering from looking at those pics. BBQ is one of my guilty indulgences; it’s just that the calories are so much! I will definitely try this place out next time I am in San Diego.

7. Anthony says:

Hi Mary,
    I wanted to thank you for writing about BBQ Republic on your blog. We would love for you and Jake to come by again so he can try our Chili too! Glad you enjoyed your meal and thanks for the feedback.

8. Linda says:

The 1st time I tried BBQ I got the 2 platter meal. Had the beef ribs and tri tip (melted in my mouth)
    The only thing I didn’t like was the pork ribs. They weren’t cooked and tasted like paste.
    Now I crave BBQ Republic and glad its only across the freeway.
    Oh yes, and the cornbread is out of this world.