BBQ Republic is a fairly new BBQ joint that’s turned into a local chain with 2 locations in Carmel Mountain and Torrey Hills. I bought a groupon-like deal not too long ago for this place and Jake and I finally checked it out recently.
Jake was kind of jonesing for BBQ and he really wanted to hit up his favorite spot, Bubba’s Smokehouse BBQ, but I got him to try something new with a little cajoling (that and I already had a coupon). I promised him a future visit to Bubba’s again so he could have his favorite chili again soon.
BBQ Republic is in the same location that Joey’s Smokin’ BBQ was at in Carmel Mountain. Cheeburger Cheeburger used to be next door, but alas, it is no more. It was actually looking quite vacant over in that part of the strip mall.
We stood in the front of the large menu boards for quite awhile, trying to figure out what we would try.
Jake ended up talking for a bit to a couple of ladies behind us who were also here on their first visit. They were trying to decide what to order (or if they should go somewhere else). We made our final decisions and made our way to the counter to order and then found some seats to wait for our food, which came out pretty quickly.
We started with dessert first with these Chocolate Chip Caramel Cookies ($1.00 each). They weren’t bad as far as cookies go. I had a bite and then saved the rest of my cookie for later. Jake ate his. The caramel part of the cookie was a little tough and the cookie was a little crumbly. It was a bit soft and not too bad but not the best cookie I’ve ever had.
I started off with a Cesar Salad side ($1.50 with meal) which I got at the same time as the rest of my food. The dressing was just okay, a little sour for my tastes, but not awful.
Jake ordered the Meat Platter ($13.99) – you get two choices of meat and one side dish with this combination. He ended up getting the beef ribs and the pulled pork along with a baked potato. He wanted to get one of their loaded baked potatoes which has bbq inside of the potato and instead “made his own” by putting some of his pulled pork into the baked potato and smoshing it all together to eat. He gave me some of the beef ribs to try and I ended up really liking them. They were tender but still hung onto the bone and the sauce was a sweet, slightly smoky sauce. You can actually choose your style for the ribs, which is sweet, tangy, citrus chipotle or dry rubbed. I believe the “standard” is the sweet sauce since we didn’t specify.
I ended up getting the BBQ Sliders ($7.99) because I wanted to have a little variety of bbq meats without a hefty price tag. With the sliders you get 3 sliders and each one has a different meat on it: pulled pork (far left), chopped brisket (middle) and pulled chicken (far right).
Now, there’s a little warning on the menu that you might get a bone in your chicken since it’s hand pulled, but I was still annoyed that I got one in my food. The pulled chicken was very dry and needed a ton of extra sauce to made it good, but after a couple of bites I just moved onto the other meats. They all tasted kind of dry and not so good to me and I ended up giving my sliders to Jake who in turn gave me his other beef rib. I happily ate that and munched on my onion strings and was a happy camper. The onion strings were made with red onions and had a light, crispy batter on them. They were crunchy and sweet and I gobbled them right up. Along with the beef ribs, they were my favorite item here.
12002 Carmel Mountain Rd
San Diego, CA 92128
Phone: (858) 487-2120
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca
- red lobster / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- fluffy duffy’s snow cream / college – san diego, ca
- [recipe/review] peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- [product review] – DressTiez clothing protector bib
- hogetsu bakery / chula vista, ca
- teriyaki grill / chula vista, ca
- revisit to callahan’s / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- veggie grill / utc – la jolla, ca
- valentine’s recap
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca (4)
- mary: Hi CC – The one in Clairemont is kind of hidden, too. Must be some kind of weird theme… the wallpaper is pretty bad. I could also see the...
- caninecologne: Man, i’ve NEVER heard of this place and there’s one in CV too? gotta look that up or drive by or something. update – just...
- mary: Hi Darlene – It was kind of hard for us to find since we were looking for a separate building. It looks weird being at the bottom of an office...
- Darlene: That restaurant is near my house! It always seemed to be in a weird place but a tall office building. The first Country Waffles I went to was in the...
- red lobster / mira mesa – san diego, ca (8)
- [product review] – DressTiez clothing protector bib (12)
- mary: Hi Lynn – Hmm, I’m not sure how they found me, I didn’t ask! I think they were just shooting in the dark and hoped I would use it....