I’m a dessert girl. I love baking. I love cupcakes, decorating cakes, and all things sweet. If I spy a recipe with hazelnuts in it, I’ll want to try and make it. I have a secret little soft spot for chocolate, but I usually prefer vanilla flavored things. I don’t like dark chocolate, it’s not sweet enough for my sweet taste buds. With that said, it’s amazing I haven’t been to Eclipse Chocolat sooner.
I read about it forever ago and I tried to get a girlfriend or two to visit the cafe with me, but it never panned out. For my birthday (which was on Monday) I decided to take the day off and treat my birthday as a holiday. I indulged and got a really terrific holistic massage from Brenda Goodell (she’s one of my web design clients and super nice and gives really relaxing massages) and then I indulged further and went to Eclipse Chocolat for a cupcake and a latte.
Brenda, who knows my love of baking and cupcakes, couldn’t believe I had never been here. At least that’s been remedied! For my drink, I got a latte infused with white chocolate, orange and vanilla bean ($4.00 + $1.00 for the chocolate infusion). It had a really nice balance of flavor – it wasn’t sickly sweet like mochas you get from other places – just sweet enough to be enjoyable.
For my treat, I ended up getting one of their Creme Fraiche Cupcakes ($3.50). My choice? The Lavender Sea Salt & Caramel cupcake.
I ate this slowly, savoring each bite while I read a few short stories out of my latest book (Close Range by Annie Proulx). It was rich, chocolaty, and super good. The sea salt and lavender on top gave the cupcake that little extra burst of flavor mingling around on the tongue. The creamy chocolate topping was delicious and the caramel insides were gooey but not overpowering. A really excellent cupcake!
I hung out in the cafe for about an hour, sipping my latte, reading, and enjoying a little relaxing down time on my birthday. I highly recommend everyone treat their own birthday like a holiday and take the day off – you deserve it!
Eclipse Chocolat has some interesting upcoming events, such as an Autumn Harvest Dinner, featuring dishes with carefully infused flavors. I’m really interested in their Harvest Dinner and am thinking I might want to go, if I can convince someone to go with me. In any case, I’ll have to come back and try out some of their other treats, like those truffles I spotted in the display case!
2121 El Cajon Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92104
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- ‘rita’s cantina @ harrah’s / valley center, ca
- [recipe] green bean salad + homemade bbq
- mr. peabody’s bar & grill / encinitas, ca
- supernatural sandwiches / miramar – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] taste of hillcrest coming up on april 19th, 2014 + win tickets!
- [recipe] easy one pot tomato basil pasta
- breakfast at wich addiction / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- [recipe] strawberry lime cheesecake bars
- college area taste / april 13th, 2014 + win tickets!
- babs (bao’s awesome burgers) / convoy – san diego, ca
- ‘rita’s cantina @ harrah’s / valley center, ca (2)
- [giveaway] taste of hillcrest coming up on april 19th, 2014 + win tickets! (10)
- [recipe] green bean salad + homemade bbq (4)
- Lemon Month at Souplantation – and a Giveaway! (31)
- Wendy: Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup sounds delicious! Thanks!
Blogs I Follow
- my burning kitchen
- meandering eats
- three dog kitchen
- kirbie's cravings
- a radiused corner
- food is my favorite
- pink candles at ridgemont high
- convoy conquest
- san diego sugar
- rodzilla reviews
- food revu
- nerds with food
- jinxi eats
- faye's fork
- sun diego eats
- gastro bits