Last Monday I had the day off from work and I had an incredibly strong craving for shrimp. I originally wanted to go to Bud’s Louisiana Cafe but after a peek at their website, I sadly realized they were closed on Monday. Damn it! I was headed out to the Clairemont area to visit my favorite bakery supply store, Do It With Icing, and figured I should find something around that area. I decided on trying out a place called Mister Fish and Chips near Balboa and Genesee.
It’s a small little shop tucked into a strip mall next to Vons and an Irish Pub in a corner. There are just a few tables, keeping things cozy. The Asian lady behind the counter was already taking someone’s order as I stared at the menu trying to figure out what I wanted. When I went to order she was very friendly and welcoming. I settled on getting 4 “Jumbo” shrimp, a cup of clam chowder, and some fried mushrooms. The Asian lady told me they only take cash, but got started on my order while I walked over to Vons to visit their ATM. She said, “It’ll be ready by the time you get back!” and it was.
The first item I tried was the clam chowder. Very hearty, thick and rich. I really liked it. It had a good flavor and texture with chunks of potatoes and bits of clams strewn throughout the soup. Very satisfying.
The four Jumbo shrimp were bigger than I thought they would be, which is a good thing, because 4 shrimp doesn’t sound like much. The shrimp and mushrooms use the same type of batter. The shrimp are long and wide and live up to the jumbo name. I thought the shrimp were a bit too greasy, though. They also weren’t seasoned right out of the fryer so I shook a little salt on top of them, but they were still just too greasy and not as enjoyable as I had hoped they would be.
I enjoyed the mushrooms more than I did the shrimp. These were a little heavy on the breading though, but the mushrooms were juicy and delicious inside. I got a squeeze bottle of ranch dressing that I happily squirted onto each bite of my mushrooms, making for a delightful meal in my mouth.
I was a little sad that the shrimp didn’t turn out as well as I had hoped, but the mushrooms and clam chowder made up for it. I’m hoping that the shrimp just wasn’t a stellar batch and will have to come up to try out a few other items on their menu.
Mister Fish and Chips
5647 Balboa Ave
San Diego, CA 92111
about this site
- mushroom + cheese feast [bacon wrapped mushrooms & mushroom souffle]
- red velvet donuts at granny’s donuts / lakewood, ca
- via lago trattoria by busalacchi / eastlake – chula vista, ca
- tropical star restaurant & specialty market / clairemont – san diego, ca
- can cheddar make the breadstick better? / o’s american kitchen
- d bar / hillcrest – san diego
- [event] coast of pacific beach restaurant walk
- swoon dessert bar / north park – san diego
- [event] bake sale tomorrow!
- [event] dishcrawl north park / win a ticket to dishcrawl + discounts
- in-n-out “secret menu” goodness (3)
- Randy: I also find the fresh cut fries at In-N-Out rather unappealing, and also tried the fries well-done one time. I thought they came out way too crunchy...
- mushroom + cheese feast [bacon wrapped mushrooms & mushroom souffle] (3)
- Dennis: Wow looks like you guys ate like kings! er Queens!
- mary: The recipe they posted left out a few steps and quantities, so I filled it in as best I could! My version is not exactly like theirs, but we all...
- Jinxi: Hi Mary! Looks like the recipe turned out great Sometimes I’m wary of restaurant recipes because restaurants have such different cooking and...
- red velvet donuts at granny’s donuts / lakewood, ca (11)
- mary: hahah, okay, yeah I can see that!
- [product review] plum amazins baked goods from sunsweet bakery (2)
- mary: Hi Janet – According to their website, Sunsweet Bakery products are currently available at Costco here in San Diego. http://www.sunsweetbakery....
- janet: I love the sunsweet prune walnut loaf cake. I’ve gone to difrent places w no luck. I really would love to no were I can buy them here in san...