peppertree frosty / vista

1. Darlene says:

I took one look at the nachos and didn’t think they would amount to much but I guess the made-to-order chips really make a difference in taste. I think I’ve given up on dipped cones. I love the added flavoring of the dip but it looks like all dipped cones suffer from lots of melting ice cream leaking from the drips.

Hi Darlene – Yeah, the nachos really don’t look like much but the kid loved them. I thought they were pretty good, too, you know… for nachos. This dipped cone seemed especially full of holes and drips. I wonder if they could double dip it if that would make a difference. Maybe they’d charge extra or say they couldn’t do it though. All I know if you need a lot of napkins.

2. Yay! I’m glad you went! I SO wanted to go to Peppertree Frosty during our visit to Danny’s last year but we were planning to go somewhere else later. Great post and writeup. Love that this place hasn’t reall changed.

What is up with not dipping the Medium! Hmmmph! But man those dipped cones look pretty good! Want some now! and $2.20 for a fried burrito?!!!! That’s awesome!!!!

So no grass-fed humanely raised beef, organic farm raised vegetables and artisanal bread? I want to know the pedigree of my food, dammit, haha! I want to know if chicken and cows’ names. Seriously though, some folks need to get off their high horse with all this and just enjoy what’s out there. Glad this place is hipster free!

Hi CC – Haha, yes… Peppertree Frosty is about as un-hipster as you can get! Unless you’re one of those hipsters that like old places… I have NO idea why they don’t dip the medium but they do the large. I really wish I had thought to ask! It seemed so weird. The prices here are so cheap you almost (*almost*) don’t care if it’s good or bad. I forgive it for being “decent” and “okay” and “not outstanding” since we ate for so little, haha. I’m glad it hasn’t changed much, though I still want them to grill my bread for longer…

3. Love the ice cream shot. It’s so summertimeish. I love looking at old photos of places that have been around forever. That’s cool that not much has changed (except probably the prices?) over the years. I bet they have a lot of loyal local regulars that have been coming for decades.

I look forward to reading about your Long Beach convention soon. Did you get to stop by Surfas or any place else?

Hi Miss Kim – Thanks! It seemed like a good summer time thing to do. Dipped cones are totally a cure for colds, right?! I love it when they have old photos of places, too. I love seeing how places used to look and the changes they’ve made over the years. It would have been cool if they had posted the prices from their old menu, too.

I didn’t get to stop by Surfas! I met a couple of my friends for dinner in San Gabriel so it was late by the time I left and didn’t get a chance to. 🙁 I did stop by a place in LA to get some cold brew coffee and I stopped in Tustin at Cream Pan for croissants. That counts for something!

It’s so weird that they don’t dip medium cones… I guess maybe that’s their ploy to get people to spring for a large? Ha, ha. A deep-fried burrito sounds pretty brilliant, actually… especially for the late-night munchies right?

Hi Jinxi – Yes! The mystery continues about the medium cones, haha. Maybe it IS a ploy just to get the large. I thought the small was plenty big, I can’t even imagine how big a large would be. A deep fried burrito does seem like a kind of late night craving and it’s small enough that you wouldn’t feel totally gross after eating it, haha. Jake told me he used to buy the cheap frozen burritos and then fry them in the grocery store’s kitchen on his lunch break (when he used to work there). 🙂

What’s the difference between a fried burrito and a chimichanga? I can’t believe how cheap the food is here. I think it’s crazy that your dipped cone was more expensive than the burrito and onion rings.

I’ve never had butterscotch dipped cones. We never ate that growing up so I can’t remember the last time I had anything butterscotch. Maybe the best way to intro this flavor is with a dipped cone 🙂

Fosters Freeze RULES. Aren’t they in El Pollo Loco too?

Hi Faye – Well, I think it’s the same thing. The fried burrito here was really small though and had no meat in it and came with no toppings. Chimichanga are usually beastly things with lots of meat inside and all the fixings. Maybe that’s the difference?

The best intro to butterscotch is to have the butterscotch pudding at Banker’s Hill Restaurant. Oh my god. Jake and I did an “End of the World” food crawl on the last day of the Mayan calendar (which, incidentally, I never blogged about) and it was my “End of the World” dessert heehee. But the dipped cones are also tasty!

Yeah, Fosters is also in El Pollo Loco but it doesn’t taste the same to me! I love the Allied Gardens one. I think they use French Vanilla soft serve which tastes so good (it’s slightly yellow-ish hue).