southpaw social club / downtown – san diego, ca

Hmm… I would have been confused if the menu said pretzel crumbs and broken mini pretzels showed up on my mac n cheese. Goldfish cracker crumbs would have been awesome, I think.

Since we were there on a game night, we tried a bbq plate – the bbq pork, I think. It was okay. Very saucy and the white meat parts were dry. The dark meat pieces were really tender and moist, though. I also don’t like their mustard, which means I didn’t like the potato salad that was made with their mustard. And the baked beans tasted like they came straight from a can.

I did enjoy the duck fat fries, because I love thick, steak-y fries. The pretzel dog (3 mini dogs) were okay. The cheddar bratwurst part was way better than the pretzel bun part.

I checked in on Foursquare, though, and we got 50% off a beer taster flight!

Hi Leanne! Yeah… I was confused about the mini pretzels, too. Goldfish would be good I have also seen Cheez-Its on top (at D Bar, which I loved). I kind of wanted to get the duck fat fries on our visit but we got those Southpaw fries instead. The pretzel dogs sounds like something I would also order. Too bad the bun part wasn’t as exciting! I haven’t used Foursquare in forever and a day so good tip about the Foursquare discount!

2. I hate when I ask a waiter for their suggestion and the person raves so much about a dish I feel almost obligated to get it even though it doesn’t sound like my thing, haha.

Weird about the pretzel “crumbles”. I feel like someone just didn’t feel like crumbling the crumbles that day, it seems weird they would want to serve just whole pretzel on top of mac and cheese??

Lastly, I love popcorn too! At Brooklyn Girl in Mission Hills instead of the free bread they give you yummy super butter-y popcorn. The flavors change but last time I went I think it was brown butter thyme with parmesan, sooo good!.

Hi J.S. – OMG I totally felt that way about the chicken sandwich… I felt like we HAD to try because he raved about it so much. But then well, it wasn’t as amazing as he made it out to be. Oh well. Better to go with your gut! I do felt like someone was just half assing is back in the kitchen and were like “whatever, I don’t care about these pretzels”. Brooklyn Girl is a place I’ve been meaning to go try so hearing that they give you popcorn has suddenly made me want to go sooner…. yum! Riviera Supper Club has bacon popcorn that is really awesome if you love both popcorn and bacon. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. The bread pudding looks tempting! I love popcorn too. But I definitely wouldn’t eat stale popcorn if put in front of me lol. I cant ever watch a movie without popcorn. It always feels like something is missing if I don’t have popcorn. I usually get the kiddie size though (unless sharing). It’s just the right size for me to finish. And of course, the M&Ms! I don’t really eat much of the other candies, but I like to mix M&M’s in the popcorn.

Those chicken wings look yummy too. Sweet and garlicy. Yum! Getting hungry now.

Hi Miss Kim – I shouldn’t eat stale popcorn but I guess I’m weird sometimes ๐Ÿ™‚ I tend to not get popcorn when going out to the movies anymore because it always makes me feel sick later – they put something weird in it that does not agree with me! I like making my own popcorn instead. Usually just salt and butter but I made some with truffle oil and herbs for the bake sale and it was SO GOOD. I need to do a popcorn post. M&M’s and popcorn is yummy! But only peanut M&M’s for me, please!

4. Carla Pullum says:

Yes the Chicken wings look so good! Thanks for the link I just joined their newsletter!

Have you tried Popcornopolis (particularly their Zebra popcorn)? That’s my favorite popcorn ever. I can’t believe even stale popcorn makes you happy !

Thai caramel on fried wings sounds like it can be an interesting concept. What’s your preference between grilled and deep fried chicken wings. I think I’d prefer deep fried as it gives me that crunchy chicken skin I crave.

The burger bun reminds me of a crab with no legs. It looks so shiny and red (with a pickle stuck on top of its head).

Hi Faye – I have tried Popcornopolis – I thought it was good! I tend to like savory popcorn more than sweet though. Most bagged popcorn is okay but I really prefer making my own. I know, stale popcorn is a weird thing to eat anyway. I am weird. ๐Ÿ™‚
      I’m intrigued about that Thai caramel one – I want to try it! If we go out I like getting the fried wings, but at home I prefer to make the grilled ones so I don’t have to pull out the fryer and make a big mess. Haha, funny about the crabby burger bun. I did not touch that pickle! Jake ate it ๐Ÿ˜›

6. Hahah, I thought that pretzel bun was a giant red potato. I was wondering why it was on top of the chicken!

re: clipboard – the “office supply lover in me”. : )

Pretzel bits vx pretzel crumbs = fail.

Glad you and Jake were able to enjoy dinner without a massive baseball crowd as company.

Hi CC – Haha… I haven’t quite figured out how to take the best pictures in low lighting with my new camera yet. Still learning! Yeah, weird pretzel fail. I’m glad we were also able to enjoy it without the baseball crowd! We would have had to park like blocks and blocks away otherwise. If it were that easy to park all of the time I would go Downtown more haha.

7. Lynn says:

I love the colors in the photo of the dining area. Looks like it was quite dark that night for taking pics of food though (dang bars)! The southpaw mac looks so appetizing until you notice that the pretzels are… larger pieces. Maybe I am in a pasta mood today since it’s been quite a while. I wanna try that bread pudding. I’ll send Dennis to sample it first since he works in downtown!

Hi Lynn – Yeah, it was pretty late (after 8pm) when we went. The pretzels were weird. They needed to be smaller! The mac was good though, really nice and creamy! Nice you have Dennis as a scout ๐Ÿ™‚