yoder’s amish village restaurant / sarasota, fl

1. Those pies look SO GOOD!! That’s a crazy amount of whipped cream on the first one you can’t even see the lime part. And I love the Souplantation chicken noodle soup but just for the broth and the chicken I don’t like the noodles at all haha. I am that asshole that takes forever to serve myself the soup because I’m trying to fish out all the little bits of chicken…..haha

• Faye says:

Um, yeah, I’d be the ahole behind JS trying to make sure she doesn’t jack all the chicken from the dang soup. Because, um, *I* want that chicken from the soup.

Phht…

2. mary says:

Hi J.S. – On the key lime, that whole whipped cream looking thing IS the whole pie part. It’s like the key lime is mixed in with all of that fluffiness, if that makes any sense! There wasn’t a separate key lime layer. We should just share soup duties at Souplanation, I’ll eat all of the noodles and you can have all of the rest! 🙂

3. Wow that peanut butter pie looks like it’d totally hit the spot on a sweet tooth day. I love peanut buttery stuff too! I feel like I am gaining ten pounds just looking at those pics. That meatloaf does look meh. I love meatloaf I like to add a bunch of stuff too, plus some sriracha sometimes since I like to put it in almost everything lol.

Did you eat out for every meal during your trip? I love food exploring during trips, but I also crave homecooked meals. So when I can, I prefer to get a room with a kitchen. Sometimes I think about bringing burners, but I haven’t yet, mostly because people talk me out of it or it’s not allowed.

Hi Miss Kim – I love homemade meatloaf, I put milk soaked bread and lots of fresh herbs in my mine and lots of Parmesan cheese. So good!

Yeah, we ate out for every meal. We were trying to do so much stuff that we weren’t ever really at our friend’s house and the room in Key West didn’t have a kitchen (all of the hotels there were so pricey). My friend didn’t look like he uh, had a lot of kitchen ware and he mostly eats out so I don’t think we could have really done something homecooked there anyway.

We did one trip to Julian last summer where we had a little cabin with a kitchen and I made our meals for that trip – it was really fun and homey!

4. Man, those pies look pretty awesome!!!! Very light and fluffy!

The chicken and the noodles (without soup) look good too!

The cool thing about traveling is that you get to try “new” places all the time!

Hi CC – Haha yes that’s true! We only did one “repeat” – La Teresita – because I loved their croquettes so much. And I wanted more Cuban coffee before I left 🙂

5. I try not to do repeats when we travel, but in Portland, we liked this one Vietnamese/French bakery so much, we went twice (An Xuyen) as well as a Vietnamese noodle shop (Ha & VL) because their soups were different each day of the week. Gotta love that element of surprise.

Yeah, I really try not to do repeats, too but if it’s something really good and you can’t get it at home then a repeat is okay 🙂 Portland – man, another place I really want to go! I’ve seen so many great posts about spots there.

I would have SO loved to sit next to the spinning dessert showcase thingy!

The Amish pancakes look like my Bisquick pancakes I make for family when they stay over. I’m not sure about the Amish Noodles. It looks like it would require a lot of liquid/soda/glass of milk to wash it down.

I’m not a big pie person but have always been fascinated by the meringue pies. Do the meringue type pies taste like sweetened egg whites? I am not clear on that as I don’t eat pies all that often so the thought of eating egg whites has always been off putting to me. But I so adore the pies that have the meringue topping that reaches the ceiling 🙂

Hi Faye – meringue has a different taste/consistency it doesn’t really just taste like sweetened egg whites. They are light and fluffy and airy. This pie looked like meringue but didn’t taste like it, more like whipped cream! I liked it, it was a different way to have key lime pie.