[recipe] avocado orange and tomato salad
Recently I was eating lunch at home with Maya and watching Ina Garten do her thing in the Hamptons. On this particular episode she was making an Avocado and Grapefruit salad which immediately piqued my interest. Avocado and fruit and a vinaigrette, that’s it?! Laura was coming over to join me for dinner that night and I thought a little twist on that idea would be a perfect starter for us that evening.
I don’t particularly like grapefruit though so instead I used an orange. I wanted a little something else on the plate, too, so I got some sweet cherry tomatoes. If I had really thought about it, I’d have gotten the red ones for the color contrast but I prefer eating the golden ones.
I made a simple vinaigrette using orange juice, olive oil, rice wine vinegar, agave, mustard, salt and pepper. Instead of tossing the avocado like Ina did, I just spooned it all over the plate, making sure to cover the avocados so they wouldn’t brown.
I seasoned the whole thing with sea salt and ground pepper and then I put some chopped basil on top (but I forgot to include that in my photograph).
The whole thing was so simple and easy to make – took me maybe 10 minutes to put it together? The avocado was perfectly ripe and creamy and the tang from the vinaigrette combined with the sweetness of the tomatoes and oranges made for a wonderful salad. The fresh basil from our garden also gave it a little extra pop of flavor.
This salad was so good that I made another one the very next day for my lunch break. Yum!
- 1 large hass avocado, sliced
- grape tomatoes, sliced in halves
- 1/2 orange sliced
- 1/2 orange juice
- rice wine vinegar
- agave (or honey) if desired
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil, chopped
- Slice your avocado, tomatoes and orange and arrange on a plate.
- I eyeballed everything so this is all to taste - maybe a few teaspoons of each? Juice the other half of your orange into a small bowl. Add a bit of rice wine vinegar, agave and a teaspoon of mustard. Add salt and pepper. Whisk the ingredients together while streaming in your olive oil. Add just enough until the mixture starts to come together and emulsify.
- Spoon vinaigrette over your salad, making sure to completely cover the avocado slices.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped basil and devour.