With the rest of that 2lbs. box of strawberries I decided to make dessert this weekend – Strawberry Lime Cheesecake Bars.
The original recipe I based this on called for lemon – but I wanted to use limes from our tree since we had those in abundance. I’m also trying out various key lime recipes to see what’s the best before our trip to Tampa/Key West this month (woo).
First thing I did was to make the strawberry compote for the middle layer of the cheesecake bars. This is basically just sliced strawberries, a half a cup of sugar, lime zest and a cup of water. A did a little cornstarch slurry at the end to thicken it up a little bit more after cooking this for about 15 minutes.
When I put the crust together and pressed it into the pan it looks kind of wrong. It’s really dry and crumbly and didn’t seem like it would form a crust. But have faith like I did! It turns out like this:
It’s got lots of holes in it, but it all came together in the end. It’s a bit like shortbread and creates a nice thick base for the rest of the cheesecake bars.
The strawberry layer goes on next! I wish I had made more for a thicker strawberry layer.
The cream cheesey cheesecake layer goes on top and goes in for a quick 20 minute bake.
These are a little tangy from the key lime (with a little extra zest on top). Some fresh whipped cream on top also compliments these babies.
An enjoyable little dessert for any time!
- 1lb strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in water
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp lime zest, divided
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cut into tablespoon sized pieces
- 2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- Combine strawberries, sugar, lime zest and water in a pot and bring to boil. Set to simmer for about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, add cornstarch slurry and cook for another five minutes until thickened.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, powdered sugar, 1 tsp lime zest and butter. Cut together with a pastry cutter until mixture is crumbly mess and the butter is in little chunks. It'll look crazy dry but not to worry!
- Press mixture into a 9x13 pan. It'll look wrong, but that's okay. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown. Let cool.
- In a bowl add cream cheese, sugar, and lime zest. With a mixer or by hand, beat together until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, stirring to combine. Add in lime juice and mix well.
- Add strawberry compote on top of the shortbread crust. Then top with cheesecake mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheesecake layer is set and not jiggly in the middle of the pan.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes then pop into the fridge to set for 3-4 hours.
- Cut into squares and top with whipped cream and a little more zest, if desired.
- If you don't feel like making strawberry compote, you can substitute with strawberry jam.
- [recipe] pork chops and plum sauce
- triple lobsters at fishtales in hatfield, ma
- rubio’s california bowl / utc
- wienerschnitzel hot dogs
- lemon ginger ice box cake for alex’s lemonade stand & melissa’s produce challenge
- wings and fish / encanto
- danny’s donuts / vista
- peppertree frosty / vista
- berkeley pizza / downtown san diego
- bruxie / college area – san diego, ca
- triple lobsters at fishtales in hatfield, ma (9)
- Faye: I don’t know why I always get so embarrassed wearing a bib at restaurants. It makes...
- [recipe] pork chops and plum sauce (6)
- Faye: OMG!!! I love this!!! That sauce looks delicious and easy to make. I didn’t think it...
- caninecologne: Very nice that you made your own plum sauce!!! Whenever I have porkchops, I am...
- Jinxi: Haha I ate all the plums and the grapes in the box so fast that I didn’t even get a...
- J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats: Wow don’t think I’ve ever had real plum sauce but I like the...
Blogs I Follow
- my burning kitchen
- three dog kitchen
- kirbie's cravings
- a radiused corner
- food is my favorite
- pink candles at ridgemont high
- convoy conquest
- san diego sugar
- rodzilla reviews
- food revu
- nerds with food
- jinxi eats
- faye's fork
- sun diego eats