tom’s chinese bbq + dim sum / city heights – san diego

1. teresa says:

xian shui jiao are the best!! i call them little footballs. 🙂

Hi Teresa – Oh, that’s a good way to describe them, they were sort of football shaped haha!

• van p says:

Another name for them is ham sui gok which is one of my favorite. And I think the thing that you thought are rice cakes can either be pan fried daikon or turnip or taro depending on what it is made of. I wish we had that kind of dim sum items near me. Man I want some dim sum now.

Hi Van – Thanks for the name of that item! Maybe I’ll see it on a menu somewhere else and know what it is now so I can order it. Yeah, I couldn’t tell what the item was and I didn’t ask since we had already made all of our choices. I’ll have to ask next time.

Oh man you made out like a bandit!

I’m not sure why I’m not grossed out by the yucky window food panel thingies. I think I’m just used to seeing them at most fast food Chinese restaurants.

This place reminds me of that dim sum place in Mira Mesa – augh – what’s it called. The one that used to be the old movie theater on Camino Ruiz. There’s a dim sum place there that’s cheap too.

You and Jake should try Pearl in RB. I just posted about their $2.85 special so maybe you’ll have time to visit one day. You might enjoy their dim sum desserts there.

Hi Faye – I was excited that it was so cheap! I wasn’t really that grossed out by the windows/panels, either, it was like… it made it more legit? Haha. The one in Mira Mesa is called Hong Kong BBQ & Dim Sum. It’s pretty cheap there, too, but this is cheaper! I read your post, I do really want to try Pearl! I’ve heard good things about it.

3. Yum, pig rectum.

Not.

At least you guys tried this place out and liked a few things! 🙂

4. Kirbie says:

I love those little footballs. Hehe. You can find them at most dim sum places which is nice. Hmm, I think the bun you got in the last picture is the coconut bun. From your other picture when you stated coconut bun and pineapple bun, the pineapple bun should be the one with the yellow sugary stuff on the top. It’s not actually made with pineapples but it got it’s name by resembling the pineapple shell. The filling for the sweet breads is usually a custard mixed with a little coconut.
    Another good option for cheap take out dim sum is Yum Cha Cafe in Linda Vista. It’s cheap and they have a huge selection too.

Hi Kirbie – Thanks for the explanation about the buns – I feel like I asked for pineapple and then couldn’t remember. All I remember is I didn’t really like it. I don’t think it tasted like coconut either, haha! But I’ll fix that. I’ll have to check out Yum Cha Cafe – I feel like I have heard about that/read about that somewhere else… it seems vaguely familiar.

5. Mscinda says:

I loved getting food on Sundays at Tom’s. It was the most affordable place for roast pork and duck. Loved the dim sum options too. I am glad to see that Tom’s is still in business.