ramen yamadaya / clairemont – san diego, ca

Travis doesn’t like seaweed in his ramen, either. I used to just eat his, but he said it still left a fishy taste in the bowl so he orders ramen without it.

You should try RakiRaki, just for comparison. I prefer the noodles at RakiRaki but the broth at Yamadaya. I’ve had terribly slow service at both, though.

I’ve also heard good things about Santouka (in Mitsuwa) but we haven’t gone there yet.

Jake isn’t the only one! I didn’t like it tasted fishy either, maybe just slightly, but if you don’t like seafood then it makes sense. I think I haven’t gone to RakiRaki because I am afraid of parking on Convoy, but I need to just do it already. I have heard of Santouka, too, but yeah, never gone. Maybe I’ll try it on my next visit to Mitsuwa! I want to go there anyway to get crazy Pocky for Christmas presents/add-ons. Thanks for the suggestions, Leanne!

Aww I like the seaweed 😛 The kotteri ramen has an added black garlic oil, which is a bit pungent but also really flavorful. I used to only get the spicy, but now the kotteri is my favorite. I love that giant piece of kakuni pork belly! 😀 Santouka has pretty good broth (but I don’t like their noodles at all), but I’d say that Yamadaya has the richest broth out of all the ramen places I’ve tried in San Diego. By the way, if you like garlic, you can ask for fresh garlic at Yamadaya and they will give you a couple of fresh cloves and a garlic press. Adding some fresh minced garlic to the ramen broth = deliciousness!

Oh! They did actually give us some garlic and a press, and I photographed it, but I didn’t mention it because none of us did it haha. But I will have to try that next time! I couldn’t remember what the oil used in the kotteri was, I thought it was garlic-something so thank you! Learning about ramen, woo woo!

3. i like the ramen at Gunco Ramen (which shares space with Kanpai), on the corner of Palomar and 3rd in south Chula Vista. It’s right across from D’s Nutz (aka KD’s Donuts, the place with that funny sigh)… Their tonkotsu is good and also this other noodle dish that is NOT ramen, but called chanpon! now that has everything in it! i’ve also tried the tsukemen at RakiRaki. it seems a bit of a pain in the @$$ to eat the noodles and dip them in broth. i’d rather have everything in the broth. still tastes good tho!

I like this place! It’s a good to go when you’re tired of Santouka or other SD Ramen place in my opinion.

And I love their pork belly (well, I had it once when I swear it tasted 3 days old and was 90% fat, so yeah, I guess I don’t like the belly all the time).

What did you think of the temperature of the ramen broth?

And I must say that I think they make a really really good version of the karaage here – I’m curious to hear if you think another Ramen place makes better karaage?

Hope your weekend went well 🙂

I haven’t been to many ramen places (I believe this one makes THREE!) so I’m definitely not an expert in this area hehe. I think the temperature of the broth served to us was okay, if you ask me it could have been hotter. I prefer to get served my food HOT – it tastes better that way to me. I’ve only had karaage at like one other place (I can’t even remember where) and since I don’t even remember the other one I’d say this one is better. For now 🙂