[event] big bite bacon fest recap

1. Carmel says:

By the reviews of the food, you didn’t seem to like much of the food, so I’m confused on whether or not to go next year, if they have it.

I think it was about 50/50. Some things were really, really good – and other things were a total miss or just okay. I think that’s what you can expect when there are so many offerings. Next sure I’m sure they would have different offerings and tries and I would totally go again. The good parts made up for the bad in my opinion!

2. Great roundup of the Bacon Fest! Lots of variety! I’m so glad that Coops represented too!

Bacon blunts. Hmmmm, “stoner” food? Ha ha. And why was Everything Bundt Cakes even there if they didn’t have bacon flavored anything? At least make an attempt. Yes, those Pool Pork sandwich buns DID look like pandesal rolls. Probably were! The tater tot with bacon and egg looks so good! The chicken fried bacon looked good too. We had something similar at Slappycakes in Portland. OMG, I still think about that meal.

TC did NOT like the bacon cotton candy at all. I thought it was just all right but way too sweet.

This looks like something I may go to for next year! You’ve convinced me! : )

Hi CC! Yes, I liked the variety of items even if I didn’t love everything 🙂 Haha, the bacon blunts did made me think of stoners! THe bacon cotton candy was pretty gross. I thought the flavor + the extreme sweetness just made it really gross. Ugh. Overall though, I enjoyed it and had fun – I would totally go again!

I am impressed you made it through so many samples! I think with any food fest you’ll have standout bites as well as more mediocre ones. Chicken fried bacon sounds delicious, as does candied bacon. We actually tried the bacon wrapped pickles – I can’t believe I’m saying this, but it needs ranch dressing to make it all taste less salty. I think the creaminess from the dressing helps. I think I’d enjoy the bacon fest more than the beer fest – let’s hope they do it again next year!

I’m also impressed we made it through that many samples. I almost gave up but I figured a bite or two of the last things wouldn’t break me haha. Nice tip about the pickles! I still probably would not even try it though, but that sounds like a good idea! I’m not sure if it was just too salty for Jake or not, I just know after one bite he was done with it.

4. Lauren says:

Wow, that makes me hungry for another bacon crawl! The bacon-wrapped tater tots and the Bleu Cheese Bacon Blunts looked delicious. Great pictures! I love the picture of you and Jake in the photo booth, so cute!

Haha there were definitely some things that I thought sounded a bit “questionable” (especially that bacon cotton candy.. uhhh lol). But some of them sounded really good, especially from companies or places that I normally like, such as the toffee from the sea salt candy company! Hehe. Also I love the photo booth pics – so cute! 😀

Hi Jinxi! Even if it was a totally miss (like that gross bacon cotton candy) it was still so fun to see what every booth came up with! I loved that there was really a great variety of things and some really creative ideas there. Everything was local (or at least in SoCA) so that made it even better. And, thank you 🙂

6. SF Scorp says:

Love the pics of you and Jake at the end. Hope Bacon Fest finds its way up to San Francisco! Thanks for the pics…..now I’m hungry! 🙂

7. Cathy says:

Wondering if some of the vendors were ‘trying out’ to maybe have their own Fair stand next year…Looks like Chicken Charlie and Bacon A Fair were the only ones with food stands inside the Fairgrounds also. Last year, the Food Truck Fest and this year Bacon Fest- the Fair is really stepping it up and trying for an additional demographic. It looks like you had such fun!

A few of the vendors didn’t even have storefronts or any kind of business set up yet. A few were “caterers in the making” so I think a lot them were trying it out like you said! It does seem like the fair is trying to do more things and it is a lot of fun! I love trying out things!

I bow down to your Bacon post Mary. Jeez man. I loved all the pics and explanations of em! I wanted to go to this event sooo bad but I was already out of town 🙁

I tried the chocolate covered bacon at this Fair years ago and it sucked butt. But whatever, at least I can say I tried something ‘chocolate bacon’.

I still agree w/ your statement on the Donut Bar – not sure if it’s worth all the excitement. But I’m surprised they were there ! They have so much fan fare regardless.

Great post!!

haha, thanks Faye! Don’t worry, I’d rather go to Taiwan, too, then the Bacon Fest 🙂 Yeah, I didn’t like the chocolate covered bacon, either. I was sure that I could make that better if I ever felt like making it (I don’t).

I know Donut Bar has a great fan following and that’s awesome for them! Three cheers and all, but still just all hype to me. Jake and I share a FANTASTIC cream filled maple bar in LA last night and it only cost us $1.10. I want my mind blown for $3 a donut, okay? Does that make me picky? Hmm. Maybe. 🙂