Sometimes you get lonely, over ripened, sad bananas. But they’re not sad! They’re happy! Because they can be transformed from their sad, mushy state into something wonderful, like banana bread. Even people who don’t like bananas (*ahem*, me) like banana bread so you can’t go wrong here.
Sometimes you’ll start thinking about things you never think about, like Elvis (because someone in your house was recently watching an Elvis movie marathon) and then you’ll make the magical connection of peanut butter and bananas and wonder if it would taste good as a bread.
And then you’ll do it.
And then you’ll discover that maybe Elvis was onto something here.
But you still won’t eat a peanut butter banana sandwich since you still don’t like bananas.
And then you’ll write a blog post about it.
And then you’ll think, “Maybe I should just get on with it then.”
And you will.
Also – pardon the iPhone photos. I was too lazy to go upstairs to get my real camera. *sigh*
This bread has chocolate chips in it. And peanut butter chips! And a good hefty amount of peanut butters. And of course, those mashed bananas.
When warm, the chips are kinda melty… and the peanut butter chips give that extra “oomph” of peanut butter goodness. Most of the sweetness here comes from the natural sugars in the bananas, too, so you don’t have to add a ton of sugar to this recipe.
It makes for a good breakfast. Or a good afternoon snack. Or a dessert.
It’s really good for any time of day.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Adapted from Sweet Basil
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour (can sub all of the flour for all-purpose instead)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 – 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 butter, unsalted, softened
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 super duper ripe bananas
- 1 cup Toll House Peanut Butter & Milk Chocolate Morsels
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a bread pan (8 x 4 x 2 1/2 in.)
In a small bowl, mix together flours, baking soda, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt. Set aside.
Mix your softened butter in a bowl until smooth and easy to handle. Add in peanut butter and cream together. Add sugar and continue creaming until well blended. Add in eggs, one at a time, until it’s happy and well blended.
Peel and mash your bananas with a fork in a separate bowl until the bananas are smooth and kind of look like lumpy mashed potatoes.
Add a little bit of your dry ingredients (flour mixture) in with your peanut-buttery-sugary mixture. Alternate with mashed bananas. Go back and forth between the two until it’s all incorporated into the mix.
Add your peanut butter/chocolate chips and mix well.
Pour batter into your prepared bread pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes until set (mine took 50 minutes).
Eat a slice ASAP for maximum enjoy of partially melted chips in your slice of bread. Sigh happily.
- [recipe] pork chops and plum sauce
- triple lobsters at fishtales in hatfield, ma
- rubio’s california bowl / utc
- wienerschnitzel hot dogs
- lemon ginger ice box cake for alex’s lemonade stand & melissa’s produce challenge
- wings and fish / encanto
- danny’s donuts / vista
- peppertree frosty / vista
- berkeley pizza / downtown san diego
- bruxie / college area – san diego, ca
- triple lobsters at fishtales in hatfield, ma (9)
- Faye: I don’t know why I always get so embarrassed wearing a bib at restaurants. It makes...
- [recipe] pork chops and plum sauce (6)
- Faye: OMG!!! I love this!!! That sauce looks delicious and easy to make. I didn’t think it...
- caninecologne: Very nice that you made your own plum sauce!!! Whenever I have porkchops, I am...
- Jinxi: Haha I ate all the plums and the grapes in the box so fast that I didn’t even get a...
- J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats: Wow don’t think I’ve ever had real plum sauce but I like the...
Blogs I Follow
- my burning kitchen
- three dog kitchen
- kirbie's cravings
- a radiused corner
- food is my favorite
- pink candles at ridgemont high
- convoy conquest
- san diego sugar
- rodzilla reviews
- food revu
- nerds with food
- jinxi eats
- faye's fork
- sun diego eats