I don’t go to Rubio’s that often. Once in a blue moon I’ll go on Taco Tuesday and get the original fish tacos for cheap, but they honestly aren’t my favorite. Fish tacos don’t really seem to do it for me, but hey, I’ll try anything again. I got a few coupons to go in and try the tacos again and figured I’d do it and take a friend along with me to check it out.
I got a two-taco combination plate with a side of chips and beans.
[langostino lobster taco]
The first taco I got was their special – the Langostino Lobster taco. This is a seasonal item that isn’t always offered and I figured it was high time I actually try it. The lobster pieces were kind of hidden amongst the onslaught of cabbage and onions and I had to fish them out just for this photo. Kind of an indication of how the taco went… since I didn’t really taste the lobster all that much. The pieces are fairly small and didn’t really scream “OMG LOBSTER” to me since I could barely detect it much less find the lobster pieces in my taco. If you’re really looking for something with a lobster punch, this isn’t really it – more like “scented with lobster” at best. It was just okay. Not something I’d want to get again.
[avocado corn fish taco]
I also got the Avocado Corn Fish taco since I thought, “Hey, I really like Avocado. And Corn. I’ll try that.”
Sometimes my thought process is overly simple. Little things help me make decisions. Like avocado slices. Mmm.
This taco was surprisingly tasty to me. I say surprising because I didn’t think I’d like it all that much – but I ended up really liking it. The fish used in this taco is an Alaskan Pollock, which is battered and fried in Rubio’s beer batter, resulting in a crisp but still light tasting fish. The corn salsa paired with the slices of avocado was highly appealing to me and paired really well with the fish. I liked the crunch and lighter taste of the fish. I’d come back for this one.
I also ordered one of their packaged brownies, which I forgot to take a photo of. They’re just in a little basket next to the register – not on the menu or anything – but I find the brownies to be SO GOOD, considering their packaged brownies. Just you know… pick one up next time and eat it later for a chocolate boost. Trust me.
[chicken tortilla soup / mahi mahi taco]
Laura – who’s my “seafood buddy” – came with me and tried Rubio’s Chicken Tortilla Soup and a Mahi Mahi taco. I didn’t actually try either item, but she thought they were tasty enough for a simple meal.
Rubio’s – if you’re a San Diegan and you like seafood, you’ve probably been here. That avocado corn taco thing will probably be my new “go to” item for Rubio’s instead of my usual “get something with shrimp in it”. Maybe I’ll get all crazy up in here and get one of each. Imagine that.
Disclaimer: I received complimentary meal coupons and my meal was free. I was not paid for this review and all opinions are indeed my own.
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- ‘rita’s cantina @ harrah’s / valley center, ca
- [recipe] green bean salad + homemade bbq
- mr. peabody’s bar & grill / encinitas, ca
- supernatural sandwiches / miramar – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] taste of hillcrest coming up on april 19th, 2014 + win tickets!
- [recipe] easy one pot tomato basil pasta
- breakfast at wich addiction / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- [recipe] strawberry lime cheesecake bars
- college area taste / april 13th, 2014 + win tickets!
- babs (bao’s awesome burgers) / convoy – san diego, ca
- ‘rita’s cantina @ harrah’s / valley center, ca (4)
- mary: Hi Lynn – Yeah, it was a bummer. I think the food truck might have been a better choice, haha! I try to shy away from buffets, I never feel like...
- lynn: Awww, too bad you guys had to wait so long for mediocre food! I wonder what it would have been like (food and wait) at the first place! The food truck...
- mary: Hi Carla – I wish we had tried the taco truck instead of the restaurant!
- Carla Pullum: I was just there last night! I love getting a bite off the Taco truck and man there food is so good! Great review! You got me wanting to go...
- [giveaway] taste of hillcrest coming up on april 19th, 2014 + win tickets! (10)
- [recipe] green bean salad + homemade bbq (4)
- mary: Hi Kirk – I did the foil method the last time I tried this but I had made a few missteps with it that a) I partially wanted to see how it would...
Blogs I Follow
- my burning kitchen
- meandering eats
- three dog kitchen
- kirbie's cravings
- a radiused corner
- food is my favorite
- pink candles at ridgemont high
- convoy conquest
- san diego sugar
- rodzilla reviews
- food revu
- nerds with food
- jinxi eats
- faye's fork
- sun diego eats
- gastro bits