I had never even heard of Shaved Snow before I saw it on Jinxi’s and Kirbie’s blog. I was immediately intrigued by it. The shaved snow looked like ribbons of deliciousness and I knew I just had to try it!
Kirbie went to Yogurt Swirl which is about 2 minutes from my house and I knew it was destiny to finally try this luscious stuff.
Jake and I had the kids last weekend and I decided we needed to try this stuff, stat. I peeked at the menu and the Carmel Milk sounded like the best option for us to share. At $6.99 it seems like a hefty price to pay.
But once you see them make it and you see the size of your plate, the $6.99 price tag doesn’t seem too bad after all.
They have a special machine with specials blocks of the flavored ice for making your snowy, layered creation. The ice gets shaved off into these ribbons as the ice block rotates around.
I choice mochi and almonds as our toppings with complimentary condensed milk syrup on top.
The mound of shaved snow seemed really large at first… but we easily polished this sucker off in record time.
I really loved the texture of this stuff – I like how it melted in your mouth and how the look of it doesn’t totally match up with how it feels in your mouth. While we were eating it, Jake just kept saying, “It’s so weird…”
It was interesting to me how it looks liked really solid layers, but really it was very smooth and creamy. The addition of the condensed milk sauce made for a nice, sweet compliment and the crunchy nuts and chewy mochi made for a fun, added texture.
I also really liked the carmel milk flavor – it was a subtle caramel flavor, not super strong or overbearing.
This is definitely something that I will want to try this again, in other flavors!
9168 Mira Mesa Boulevard
San Diego, CA 92126
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- zooies cookies / san diego, ca
- my favorite childhood treat: pocky!
- dressing rehersal at whole foods market encinitas + holiday ideas + a giveaway!
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because)
- firehouse subs / sports arena – san diego, ca
- turkey day!
- lunching with co-workers
- thanksgiving side suggestions
- san diego pretzel company + giveaway!
- zooies cookies / san diego, ca (4)
- mary: Free freshly made cookie, too, don’t forget about that part! I know, it’s SO HARD being a food blogger, trying out so many foods....
- mary: Hahah, I love your comment Jinxi, hoping you run out of gas in the area. I haven’t seen a s’mores cookie or pumpkin pie cookie like these...
- Faye: Free cookie w/ a fill up?! WTF. Why can’t they do that at other gas stations. I love how you give such a comprehensive review on each cookie....
- Jinxi: Wow! That marshmallow swirl looks really yummy (I love goopy melty marshmallow, haha) Hopefully next time I’m in the area, I also happen to...
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca (8)
- my favorite childhood treat: pocky! (4)
- mary: I always wondered why that called that one “men’” haha. Seemed so odd! I’m not a big dark chocolate fan so I’ve never...