Hans & Harry is a local bakery down in Bonita that I have heard about forever, but never went to. Which is silly, since Jake and I are usually in the area every other week to pick up his kids for a weekend. We finally went by to check it out afternoon when I was especially in the mood to try some sweet treats (which, FYI, is pretty much every afternoon, ever).
[a wall of strudels greets you upon entry]
This is what greets you when you first enter Hans and Harry.
Be still, my heart!
All of the pretty, delicious looking strudels are waiting to enter to your belly.
Such beautiful strudels!
[one case of baked goods at hans & harry]
And this is actually only ONE of the cases at the counter. I think I must have zoned out because I didn’t photograph the rest of the offerings. Just know that there is MORE.
[peanut butter bar]
Though the strudel looked seriously awesome, I wasn’t in a strudel kind of mood. Instead we shared a variety of treats, one of them being this peanut butter bar.
The peanut butter bar was sort of a cross between a cookie and a brownie. It had a softer, chewier middle (like a brownie) with the outer crust a little crisper (and cookie-like). Overall though it was a little dry and not super moist – I guess I was thinking it’d be more like a fudgy peanut butter version of a brownie. Too bad it wasn’t.
[key lime cake]
This is Jake’s pick – the Key Lime Cake that really looked like a lemon cake to me… probably because it’s so yellow.
This definitely had a the pucker-your-lips-up tart flavor that I was expecting from Key Lime – maybe a touch too tart for my sweet-lovin’ lips. Jake really liked it, saying it was the kind of key lime flavor he expected. If you’re into tart desserts, then this might for you. The cake had a nice crumble and was moist as well.
“Truffle” holds my attention pretty well, which explains why I got this one. It was sort of like a cake ball.
[truffle ball - inside]
The inside of it was very chocolatey and rich – more like a brownie than cake though. It was a very intense chocolate flavor – something only for true chocolate lovers since it’s chocolate on chocolate – it’s a small portion but incredibly rich!
[new york style cheesecake]
The cheesecake ended up being my favorite item for the afternoon.
True fact about me: I don’t like cheesecake with “stuff” in it. You know how cheesecake factory have all of those “combination” cheesecakes, like pecan pie and cheesecake? Ugh, I can’t stand those. I want one or the other – not both together!
To me, cheesecake should be pure and creamy and rich. The overall flavor can be different (like, I love love love the dulce de leche cheesecake at Cheesecake Factory) but anything else makes me cringe. This version was perfect though – very smooth, creamy, and dense with the perfect amount of crust on the bottom. Excellent.
If you’re in the area and are in need of some sweet treats for a party, a special occasion or just because you need a sugar rush, check out Hands and Harry in Bonita, CA!
Hans and Harry Bakery
5080 Bonita Road
Bonita, CA 91902
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- isa.bella artisan pizzeria / clairemont – san diego, ca
- pauly’s pizza joint / miramar – san diego, ca
- college area taste 2014 recap
- valley farm bbq / spring valley, ca
- cape town pub south african fusion / miramar – san diego, ca
- ‘rita’s cantina @ harrah’s / valley center, ca
- [recipe] green bean salad + homemade bbq
- mr. peabody’s bar & grill / encinitas, ca
- supernatural sandwiches / miramar – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] taste of hillcrest coming up on april 19th, 2014 + win tickets!
- isa.bella artisan pizzeria / clairemont – san diego, ca (8)
- caninecologne: meant ‘you’ not out.
- caninecologne: HI mary and faye – i was actually at a place in Portland (a burger place called Foster Burger) and it was next to a STRIP CLUB where...
- mary: Hi Faye – Hahaha… fiery stripper stage… that sounds dangerous The wings actually managed to stay crunchy even tossed in the sauce!...
- Faye: Is it weird that I thought the patio pic looked like a crazy stripper stage with a trail of fire on it (you know – dang it – what’s...
- mary: Thanks, Leanne!
- mary: Aww, thanks Jinxi
- Leanne: Happy Anniversary!
Blogs I Follow
- my burning kitchen
- meandering eats
- three dog kitchen
- kirbie's cravings
- a radiused corner
- food is my favorite
- pink candles at ridgemont high
- convoy conquest
- san diego sugar
- rodzilla reviews
- food revu
- nerds with food
- jinxi eats
- faye's fork
- sun diego eats
- gastro bits