Hans & Harry is a local bakery down in Bonita that I have heard about forever, but never went to. Which is silly, since Jake and I are usually in the area every other week to pick up his kids for a weekend. We finally went by to check it out afternoon when I was especially in the mood to try some sweet treats (which, FYI, is pretty much every afternoon, ever).
[a wall of strudels greets you upon entry]
This is what greets you when you first enter Hans and Harry.
Be still, my heart!
All of the pretty, delicious looking strudels are waiting to enter to your belly.
Such beautiful strudels!
[one case of baked goods at hans & harry]
And this is actually only ONE of the cases at the counter. I think I must have zoned out because I didn’t photograph the rest of the offerings. Just know that there is MORE.
[peanut butter bar]
Though the strudel looked seriously awesome, I wasn’t in a strudel kind of mood. Instead we shared a variety of treats, one of them being this peanut butter bar.
The peanut butter bar was sort of a cross between a cookie and a brownie. It had a softer, chewier middle (like a brownie) with the outer crust a little crisper (and cookie-like). Overall though it was a little dry and not super moist – I guess I was thinking it’d be more like a fudgy peanut butter version of a brownie. Too bad it wasn’t.
[key lime cake]
This is Jake’s pick – the Key Lime Cake that really looked like a lemon cake to me… probably because it’s so yellow.
This definitely had a the pucker-your-lips-up tart flavor that I was expecting from Key Lime – maybe a touch too tart for my sweet-lovin’ lips. Jake really liked it, saying it was the kind of key lime flavor he expected. If you’re into tart desserts, then this might for you. The cake had a nice crumble and was moist as well.
“Truffle” holds my attention pretty well, which explains why I got this one. It was sort of like a cake ball.
[truffle ball - inside]
The inside of it was very chocolatey and rich – more like a brownie than cake though. It was a very intense chocolate flavor – something only for true chocolate lovers since it’s chocolate on chocolate – it’s a small portion but incredibly rich!
[new york style cheesecake]
The cheesecake ended up being my favorite item for the afternoon.
True fact about me: I don’t like cheesecake with “stuff” in it. You know how cheesecake factory have all of those “combination” cheesecakes, like pecan pie and cheesecake? Ugh, I can’t stand those. I want one or the other – not both together!
To me, cheesecake should be pure and creamy and rich. The overall flavor can be different (like, I love love love the dulce de leche cheesecake at Cheesecake Factory) but anything else makes me cringe. This version was perfect though – very smooth, creamy, and dense with the perfect amount of crust on the bottom. Excellent.
If you’re in the area and are in need of some sweet treats for a party, a special occasion or just because you need a sugar rush, check out Hands and Harry in Bonita, CA!
Hans and Harry Bakery
5080 Bonita Road
Bonita, CA 91902
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because)
- firehouse subs / sports arena – san diego, ca
- turkey day!
- lunching with co-workers
- thanksgiving side suggestions
- san diego pretzel company + giveaway!
- dinosaurs and date shake tasting – hadley vs shields / palm springs, ca
- mamma teresa / poway – san diego, ca
- bears den at pine knot guest ranch / big bear lake, ca
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca (4)
- mary: Parking is a big worry for me, too! Hard to park = I don’t want to go! Yeah, the HH prices aren’t stellar, but maybe they are just extra...
- mary: It was awesome! I even asked if they had the mushroom soup that day since I remembered the photo of it on your blog (that Dennis had) but they...
- Faye: Oh wow – your sandwich looks amazing! I like brie too – esp when it’s melted. But everything in your sandwich seems to really...
- Jinxi: Ooh yay! I’m glad you tried it out and liked it D
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because) (2)
- firehouse subs / sports arena – san diego, ca (9)
- mary: I know… it was not the best idea ever! But he did it and he looked like he was in a lot of pain but he totally recovered haha. I would never do...