Time for another road trip! This time to hang out with my cohort, Alyssa.
I drove up on a Saturday morning to her house just outside of Downtown LA. I always go up Saturday morning because Friday afternoon traffic makes me very, very sad. There was a slight drizzle when I left and I encountered no traffic on my way up. I got to her house just under 2 hours. That’s the way to go!
After I got there, we got ready to head out for the day and went out for breakfast. We were taking a felting class in the early afternoon and gave ourselves enough time for breakfast and a little window shopping before our class started.
Our first stop of the day was to The Village Bakery and Cafe in Atwater Village.
This is what we looked at while we stood in line to order, trying to decide what we wanted to eat for breakfast. This case contained cupcakes, tarts, and various brownies.
We’ve only scratched the surface! There were also all kinds of muffins, cinnamon rolls, mini pies…
Cookies and cakes…
Savory things to feast on…
And danishes, scones and other muffins. Oh my.
We decided quickly and just ordered breakfast, planning on running back through the line later for “take-home” goods.
Quotes on the wall.
Our table flag for the server was “F” – with Frankenstein on the back.
[polenta and eggs dish]
Alyssa got this polenta and eggs dish. I don’t remember the actual name or description of it but it had bacon, parmesan cheese, eggs, herbs and other bits. The color of the eggs and the polenta were so alike that she couldn’t tell the two items apart. After we had ordered we noticed the “Daily Specials” board with other things we wanted more, but we had already ordered and it was too late to go back. She just thought this dish was okay – nothing spectacular here.
I got two things – one was this Breakfast Sandwich with two fried eggs, cheddar cheese, avocado and bacon on a toasted baguette. It was pretty tasty – though fairly standard fair. The bacon was nice though and the big slices of avocado made me pretty happy.
[oatmeal cinnamon pancakes]
I also got 1 Oatmeal Cinnamon Pancake with honey cinnamon butter to try out. I love to eat sweet and savory items for breakfast – just having pancakes would be too much for me, but pairing it with something savory makes me a happy girl. The oatmeal pancake was really tasty – especially when topped with the special butter. I hardly needed any syrup on this. It was light and fluffy and the butter made it really special.
I just got two take-home treats – on the top is the “Donut Muffin” and on the bottom is the “Salted Caramel Cupcake”.
The donut muffin wasn’t as great as I thought it should be – but I didn’t eat it until the next day and it had started to taste a little stale by then. It had a ton of cinnamon-sugar on it but otherwise tasted kind of dry to me. But maybe it’s because I waited to eat it?
The salted caramel cupcake had a chocolate cupcake on the bottom with a vanilla frosting and the salted caramel dressed on top. It was a very intense and rich chocolate cupcake and the frosting and caramel together made it pretty sweet. It was a nice and moist cupcake, just a but rich. I had to share it and didn’t eat it by myself because it was so rich.
These are the bunnies we made in our felting class at The Little Knittery. Mine is on the left with the green body and pink belly.
Felting is interesting. Not something I think I will be taking up, but hey. Now I have a sweet memento from this trip!
The Village Bakery and Cafe
3119 Los Feliz Blvd.
Atwater Village, CA 90039
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because)
- firehouse subs / sports arena – san diego, ca
- turkey day!
- lunching with co-workers
- thanksgiving side suggestions
- san diego pretzel company + giveaway!
- dinosaurs and date shake tasting – hadley vs shields / palm springs, ca
- mamma teresa / poway – san diego, ca
- bears den at pine knot guest ranch / big bear lake, ca
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because) (2)
- firehouse subs / sports arena – san diego, ca (9)
- mary: I know… it was not the best idea ever! But he did it and he looked like he was in a lot of pain but he totally recovered haha. I would never do...
- caninecologne: OMG, those pictures of Jake….poor guy!!!!!! I would not have even tried a drop! One of my friends tried a drop of Instant Insanity (or...
- mary: Hi Don – Jake is braver than me! We’ll definitely be back for more visits!
- Don Fox: Very courageous on the hot sauce sampling by Jake! Delighted that you all had a great visit. We’re very proud of our local franchisee and his...
- Jinxi: Wow looking at the menu now, they’ve changed it a bit since the last time I was there, over three years ago! Haha. I remember really liking the...