The San Diego Chicken Pie Shop is a classic diner. I’m pretty sure the decor inside hasn’t changed in years. It looks the same as it did when I was a kid. Chock full of chicken figurines with the same old booths and tables inside the restaurant.
The only thing that seems to have changed is they finally take credit cards (yay!) and the prices have increased. It’s still dirt cheap, though. If you’re really looking to save, you can get a chicken pot pie to go for about $2.60! You can also eat it in the shop without any sides, but if I’m going to come here I’m going to have the full pie dinner.
With the Pie Dinner ($7.50) you get: a chicken pot pie, mashed potatoes and gravy, vegetables, a bowl of coleslaw and a large handmade roll. You also get your choice of dessert pie after all of this!
Jake and I recently went a couple of times. On our first visit, we both got the pie dinner. On a second visit we discovered you can substitute! Neither of us enjoy coleslaw and instead we got double the mashed potatoes. Score!
The chicken pot pie has a lovely crust. It’s stays crunchy under all of that gravy poured on top. The inside is only chicken (a mixture of shredded white and dark meat) and gravy. The vegetables are given to you on the side, which I kind of dig. I like to eat spoonfuls of the pie with mixtures of mashed potatoes. It’s filling and quite yummy.
On another visit I also opted to try the soup of the day: Potato Soup. The picture doesn’t look like much, but it was a pretty good soup. It had cheese in it and nice large chunks of potato. Very simple and very basic, but also filling and tasty. Not the best soup I’ve ever had, but it had a good hearty flavor. It also was filling enough to make me not be able to finish my dinner – so much starch!
The first time Jake and I went, I got Blueberry Pie. Jake refused his pie and so I took home another piece of blueberry pie that I enjoyed the next day. A few days later Jake told me that he actually wanted his dessert pie, but he thought our waitress was asking if we wanted dessert and so he refused, not knowing that the pie was included with our dinner. After that he was too embarrassed? prideful? to say he did want his pie after all. I scolded him for it and said, “You should have just told me! I would have given you the pie!” He’s kind of silly, sometimes.
Second visit resulted in Lemon Cream Pie. Man, this was so good. Not too tart, not too sweet and I loved the whipped cream on top.
On our second visit we also took Jake’s oldest son, T, here for his actual birthday for dinner. He ordered the Cherry Pie and they gave him ice cream with his pie for his birthday. How sweet!
This was also when I discovered that you can get a whole pie to go for only $5.75! We ended up buying T a lemon cream pie for his birthday since it was so cheap and because the lemon pie was so darn good.
San Diego Chicken Pie Diner
2633 El Cajon Boulevard
San Diego, CA 92104-1214
about this site
- mushroom + cheese feast [bacon wrapped mushrooms & mushroom souffle]
- red velvet donuts at granny’s donuts / lakewood, ca
- via lago trattoria by busalacchi / eastlake – chula vista, ca
- tropical star restaurant & specialty market / clairemont – san diego, ca
- can cheddar make the breadstick better? / o’s american kitchen
- d bar / hillcrest – san diego
- [event] coast of pacific beach restaurant walk
- swoon dessert bar / north park – san diego
- [event] bake sale tomorrow!
- [event] dishcrawl north park / win a ticket to dishcrawl + discounts
- mushroom + cheese feast [bacon wrapped mushrooms & mushroom souffle] (3)
- Dennis: Wow looks like you guys ate like kings! er Queens!
- mary: The recipe they posted left out a few steps and quantities, so I filled it in as best I could! My version is not exactly like theirs, but we all...
- Jinxi: Hi Mary! Looks like the recipe turned out great Sometimes I’m wary of restaurant recipes because restaurants have such different cooking and...
- red velvet donuts at granny’s donuts / lakewood, ca (11)
- [product review] plum amazins baked goods from sunsweet bakery (2)
- mary: Hi Janet – According to their website, Sunsweet Bakery products are currently available at Costco here in San Diego. http://www.sunsweetbakery....
- janet: I love the sunsweet prune walnut loaf cake. I’ve gone to difrent places w no luck. I really would love to no were I can buy them here in san...