The San Diego Chicken Pie Shop is a classic diner. I’m pretty sure the decor inside hasn’t changed in years. It looks the same as it did when I was a kid. Chock full of chicken figurines with the same old booths and tables inside the restaurant.
The only thing that seems to have changed is they finally take credit cards (yay!) and the prices have increased. It’s still dirt cheap, though. If you’re really looking to save, you can get a chicken pot pie to go for about $2.60! You can also eat it in the shop without any sides, but if I’m going to come here I’m going to have the full pie dinner.
With the Pie Dinner ($7.50) you get: a chicken pot pie, mashed potatoes and gravy, vegetables, a bowl of coleslaw and a large handmade roll. You also get your choice of dessert pie after all of this!
Jake and I recently went a couple of times. On our first visit, we both got the pie dinner. On a second visit we discovered you can substitute! Neither of us enjoy coleslaw and instead we got double the mashed potatoes. Score!
The chicken pot pie has a lovely crust. It’s stays crunchy under all of that gravy poured on top. The inside is only chicken (a mixture of shredded white and dark meat) and gravy. The vegetables are given to you on the side, which I kind of dig. I like to eat spoonfuls of the pie with mixtures of mashed potatoes. It’s filling and quite yummy.
On another visit I also opted to try the soup of the day: Potato Soup. The picture doesn’t look like much, but it was a pretty good soup. It had cheese in it and nice large chunks of potato. Very simple and very basic, but also filling and tasty. Not the best soup I’ve ever had, but it had a good hearty flavor. It also was filling enough to make me not be able to finish my dinner – so much starch!
The first time Jake and I went, I got Blueberry Pie. Jake refused his pie and so I took home another piece of blueberry pie that I enjoyed the next day. A few days later Jake told me that he actually wanted his dessert pie, but he thought our waitress was asking if we wanted dessert and so he refused, not knowing that the pie was included with our dinner. After that he was too embarrassed? prideful? to say he did want his pie after all. I scolded him for it and said, “You should have just told me! I would have given you the pie!” He’s kind of silly, sometimes.
Second visit resulted in Lemon Cream Pie. Man, this was so good. Not too tart, not too sweet and I loved the whipped cream on top.
On our second visit we also took Jake’s oldest son, T, here for his actual birthday for dinner. He ordered the Cherry Pie and they gave him ice cream with his pie for his birthday. How sweet!
This was also when I discovered that you can get a whole pie to go for only $5.75! We ended up buying T a lemon cream pie for his birthday since it was so cheap and because the lemon pie was so darn good.
San Diego Chicken Pie Diner
2633 El Cajon Boulevard
San Diego, CA 92104-1214
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- isa.bella artisan pizzeria / clairemont – san diego, ca
- pauly’s pizza joint / miramar – san diego, ca
- college area taste 2014 recap
- valley farm bbq / spring valley, ca
- cape town pub south african fusion / miramar – san diego, ca
- ‘rita’s cantina @ harrah’s / valley center, ca
- [recipe] green bean salad + homemade bbq
- mr. peabody’s bar & grill / encinitas, ca
- supernatural sandwiches / miramar – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] taste of hillcrest coming up on april 19th, 2014 + win tickets!
- isa.bella artisan pizzeria / clairemont – san diego, ca (8)
- caninecologne: meant ‘you’ not out.
- caninecologne: HI mary and faye – i was actually at a place in Portland (a burger place called Foster Burger) and it was next to a STRIP CLUB where...
- mary: Hi Faye – Hahaha… fiery stripper stage… that sounds dangerous The wings actually managed to stay crunchy even tossed in the sauce!...
- Faye: Is it weird that I thought the patio pic looked like a crazy stripper stage with a trail of fire on it (you know – dang it – what’s...
- mary: Thanks, Leanne!
- mary: Aww, thanks Jinxi
- Leanne: Happy Anniversary!
Blogs I Follow
- my burning kitchen
- meandering eats
- three dog kitchen
- kirbie's cravings
- a radiused corner
- food is my favorite
- pink candles at ridgemont high
- convoy conquest
- san diego sugar
- rodzilla reviews
- food revu
- nerds with food
- jinxi eats
- faye's fork
- sun diego eats
- gastro bits