I don’t remember at what point in my life I started to eat calamari. I know there was a time where I wouldn’t eat it. My experience had only been tough, chewy, overcooked calamari and I thought it was all the same – flavorless and unappetizing. Some bright, beautiful and shining day I had it again and was hooked, knowing that cooked correctly it could delicious, crunchy and appetizing once again.
The calamari at Volare Italian Restaurant is very good. They use the whole squid (tentacles and all!) in a light batter and warm marinara sauce. It’s simple. Not overcooked. Fried just enough to be perfectly crisp. Not a trace of chewiness – just hot, delicious calamari – all for $6.50 a plate! Not the fanciest (or priciest) in town, but if you’ve got a craving for calamari, this will fix it!
There are plenty of places serving up this classic appetizer but I love it here at Volare because it’s delicious, fresh, and affordable. YUM.
If you eat calamari, are you into eating the tentacles or does it give you the heebie-jeebies?
about this site
- macaroni and cheese balls / stremicks heritage organic milk giveaway
- my salty obsession / win a tropical sea salt
- blogiversary week + giveaway to big bite bacon fest
- mushroom + cheese feast [bacon wrapped mushrooms & mushroom souffle]
- red velvet donuts at granny’s donuts / lakewood, ca
- via lago trattoria by busalacchi / eastlake – chula vista, ca
- tropical star restaurant & specialty market / clairemont – san diego, ca
- can cheddar make the breadstick better? / o’s american kitchen
- d bar / hillcrest – san diego
- [event] coast of pacific beach restaurant walk
- macaroni and cheese balls / stremicks heritage organic milk giveaway (10)
- jaimee wood: already like Stremick’s on FB
- jaimee wood: liked “this tasty life” on fb
- jaimee wood: my fav is homemade mac & cheese!
- megan: Oops. I mean stremicks.
- megan: I have already been a fan of stemricks on Facebook and I liked this tasty life as well now.
- megan: My favorite dish is homemade mac and cheese.
- Kate B: And I liked Stremicks on facebook as well. (under the name Ka Barr) Thanks again!