It’s been a crazy week here in Mary-land, so here’s a sweet and short post on something I truly love: cupcakes!
I have been wanting to go to Elizabethan Desserts for a very long time. I just never have the will to go north to Encintas but I’m sure glad I finally did! Not only are the cupcakes super cute but I found most of them to be really delicious. Score! All of the cupcakes below were $3.25 each. They also sometimes have mini cupcakes ($1.75) and jumbo cupcakes ($4.25).
The bakery itself is inside a nursery surrounded by a lovely array of flowers. The bake shop itself it small and when I visited there was a line out the door (granted, there were like 4 people in front of me so it wasn’t really that bad). You can see the bakers behind the counter busily working away baking up fresh treats – it looked to me like they kept baking throughout the day since there were at least 5 bakers back there working. In addition to cupcakes they also have gigantic cookies, muffins, cinnamon rolls, mini pies and cakes. So much stuff to choose from! I decided to only get cupcakes on my visit, but I couldn’t decide and ended up trying out 4 different flavors.
The first cupcake I tried was the Chocolate Toffee. This is a chocolate cupcake with caramel buttercream and the buttercream itself is dipped in milk chocolate and then has a sprinkle of toffee layered on top of the dip. Oh. My. God.
The chocolate dipping reminded me of the chocolate dip cones you can get at Foster’s Freeze or Dairy Queen. It was a thin candy shell that enveloped the buttercream frosting – it was so good! The cupcake itself was very moist and melt-in-your-mouth. The toffee gave the outside a nice crunch, too.
This is Rosie’s Red Velvet which has a white chocolate cream cheese frosting and a cute little rose to top it off! Also nice and moist, I only had a bite since I gave this one to Jake (the lover of red velvet cupcakes).
This is another one just for me, since Jake is anti-chocolate (the horror!). This is Colin’s Peanut Butter Wag. I ate this the next day and I wish I had eaten it right away because I left it out too long and it started to melt, so I popped it in the fridge and then left it out again to eat, and then it got kind of melty on me. This one is also hand dipped in chocolate for that ice cream dip feeling but instead had peanut butter buttercream under it’s little shell. The peanut butter lover in me dug this but was sad it got melty on me. Note to self: eat it sooner.
And last but not least is this Churro Cupcake. I remember Jake and I were talking about something and I mentioned the flavors of cupcakes I got and when I said, “Churro” he perked up and said, “Why did you keep the churro cupcake a secret?!” Apparently he had some kind of great, great love for churros that I wasn’t aware of so we shared this cupcake straight away. It’s a cinnamon flavored cupcake with I think a cinnamon-type frosting but I don’t remember (this flavor isn’t listed on their website so I think it was a temporary flavor). The cinnamon didn’t really come through for me on this one. It was a yellow-cake base with the cinnamon added and it didn’t totally scream “churro” to me, besides the fact that there was a little churro looking thing stuck into the frosting. Ah well. The other cupcakes more than made up for this one!
155 Quail Garden Dr.
Encinitas, CA. 92024
Open Tues – Sat
10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed: Sunday & Monday
about this site
- mushroom + cheese feast [bacon wrapped mushrooms & mushroom souffle]
- red velvet donuts at granny’s donuts / lakewood, ca
- via lago trattoria by busalacchi / eastlake – chula vista, ca
- tropical star restaurant & specialty market / clairemont – san diego, ca
- can cheddar make the breadstick better? / o’s american kitchen
- d bar / hillcrest – san diego
- [event] coast of pacific beach restaurant walk
- swoon dessert bar / north park – san diego
- [event] bake sale tomorrow!
- [event] dishcrawl north park / win a ticket to dishcrawl + discounts
- mushroom + cheese feast [bacon wrapped mushrooms & mushroom souffle] (2)
- mary: The recipe they posted left out a few steps and quantities, so I filled it in as best I could! My version is not exactly like theirs, but we all...
- Jinxi: Hi Mary! Looks like the recipe turned out great Sometimes I’m wary of restaurant recipes because restaurants have such different cooking and...
- red velvet donuts at granny’s donuts / lakewood, ca (11)
- [product review] plum amazins baked goods from sunsweet bakery (2)
- mary: Hi Janet – According to their website, Sunsweet Bakery products are currently available at Costco here in San Diego. http://www.sunsweetbakery....
- janet: I love the sunsweet prune walnut loaf cake. I’ve gone to difrent places w no luck. I really would love to no were I can buy them here in san...