It’s been a crazy week here in Mary-land, so here’s a sweet and short post on something I truly love: cupcakes!
I have been wanting to go to Elizabethan Desserts for a very long time. I just never have the will to go north to Encintas but I’m sure glad I finally did! Not only are the cupcakes super cute but I found most of them to be really delicious. Score! All of the cupcakes below were $3.25 each. They also sometimes have mini cupcakes ($1.75) and jumbo cupcakes ($4.25).
The bakery itself is inside a nursery surrounded by a lovely array of flowers. The bake shop itself it small and when I visited there was a line out the door (granted, there were like 4 people in front of me so it wasn’t really that bad). You can see the bakers behind the counter busily working away baking up fresh treats – it looked to me like they kept baking throughout the day since there were at least 5 bakers back there working. In addition to cupcakes they also have gigantic cookies, muffins, cinnamon rolls, mini pies and cakes. So much stuff to choose from! I decided to only get cupcakes on my visit, but I couldn’t decide and ended up trying out 4 different flavors.
The first cupcake I tried was the Chocolate Toffee. This is a chocolate cupcake with caramel buttercream and the buttercream itself is dipped in milk chocolate and then has a sprinkle of toffee layered on top of the dip. Oh. My. God.
The chocolate dipping reminded me of the chocolate dip cones you can get at Foster’s Freeze or Dairy Queen. It was a thin candy shell that enveloped the buttercream frosting – it was so good! The cupcake itself was very moist and melt-in-your-mouth. The toffee gave the outside a nice crunch, too.
This is Rosie’s Red Velvet which has a white chocolate cream cheese frosting and a cute little rose to top it off! Also nice and moist, I only had a bite since I gave this one to Jake (the lover of red velvet cupcakes).
This is another one just for me, since Jake is anti-chocolate (the horror!). This is Colin’s Peanut Butter Wag. I ate this the next day and I wish I had eaten it right away because I left it out too long and it started to melt, so I popped it in the fridge and then left it out again to eat, and then it got kind of melty on me. This one is also hand dipped in chocolate for that ice cream dip feeling but instead had peanut butter buttercream under it’s little shell. The peanut butter lover in me dug this but was sad it got melty on me. Note to self: eat it sooner.
And last but not least is this Churro Cupcake. I remember Jake and I were talking about something and I mentioned the flavors of cupcakes I got and when I said, “Churro” he perked up and said, “Why did you keep the churro cupcake a secret?!” Apparently he had some kind of great, great love for churros that I wasn’t aware of so we shared this cupcake straight away. It’s a cinnamon flavored cupcake with I think a cinnamon-type frosting but I don’t remember (this flavor isn’t listed on their website so I think it was a temporary flavor). The cinnamon didn’t really come through for me on this one. It was a yellow-cake base with the cinnamon added and it didn’t totally scream “churro” to me, besides the fact that there was a little churro looking thing stuck into the frosting. Ah well. The other cupcakes more than made up for this one!
155 Quail Garden Dr.
Encinitas, CA. 92024
Open Tues – Sat
10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed: Sunday & Monday
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- cape town pub south african fusion / miramar – san diego, ca
- ‘rita’s cantina @ harrah’s / valley center, ca
- [recipe] green bean salad + homemade bbq
- mr. peabody’s bar & grill / encinitas, ca
- supernatural sandwiches / miramar – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] taste of hillcrest coming up on april 19th, 2014 + win tickets!
- [recipe] easy one pot tomato basil pasta
- breakfast at wich addiction / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- [recipe] strawberry lime cheesecake bars
- college area taste / april 13th, 2014 + win tickets!
- cape town pub south african fusion / miramar – san diego, ca (8)
- mary: Hi CC – I think you’ll like it here! There’s so much more stuff to try and it’s as good as it was at Deli SA – plus more...
- mary: Hi J.S. – Thank you! I visited Brazil by the Bay awhile good – that place is good, too. Though mostly I just remember the cheese bread.
- caninecologne: Gotta check this out! I remember liking their meat pies from the one time I went when they were still Deli SA (after that family nearly...
- J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats: Your picture of the sandwich + fries is amazing! And I think I would love the milk tart too. This place reminds of Brazil by the Bay...
- mary: Hi Jinxi – I hope you do! They have interesting looking stuff on their menu. I also want to try all of their desserts again!
- Jinxi: Mm I’ll have to check out this place! I’ve never had South African cuisine before. The desserts look yummy, and I’m quite intrigued...
- jeong won korean bbq buffet / kearny mesa – san diego, ca (9)
- Truely: Taegukgi is over price. They don’t explain much between 21.99 and 25.99. Sorry, it is my first and last. I will explain to all my friends. word...
Blogs I Follow
- my burning kitchen
- meandering eats
- three dog kitchen
- kirbie's cravings
- a radiused corner
- food is my favorite
- pink candles at ridgemont high
- convoy conquest
- san diego sugar
- rodzilla reviews
- food revu
- nerds with food
- jinxi eats
- faye's fork
- sun diego eats
- gastro bits