My friend Julia, her little baby girl and I had a “Girl’s Night Out” dinner recently over at California Pizza Kitchen. I don’t think I had been to California Pizza Kitchen in years in years, probably not since I was in college (or just shortly graduated). I don’t think too much has changed though in the intervening years. The still have their “California” style pizzas, an array of salads and other entrees (you don’t have to only eat pizza when you visit California Pizza Kitchen, you know).
After a little wait (we had to wait for an indoor booth that could accommodate a high chair) we were seated and decided on sharing some items for dinner. The first thing we picked was a half size Thai Crunch Salad. On their website it says that Thai Crunch Salad has, “Shredded Napa cabbage, chilled-grilled chicken breast, julienne cucumbers, edamame, crispy wontons, rice sticks, peanuts, cilantro, julienne carrots, red cabbage and green onions tossed with lime-cilantro and authentic Thai peanut dressings.”
I really loved the flavors of this salad – it had slightly sweet taste and lots of crunch (I love crunchy stuff) from the rice sticks and peanuts. Normally I can’t stand cabbage, but its hidden well when tossed all together to make up this sweet-salty-crunchy salad. A really good choice to start!
We kept things sort of light by ordering this Wild Mushroom Pizza for sharing. “Cremini, Shiitake, Portobello and white mushrooms, Fontina and Mozzarella cheeses with a wild mushroom walnut pesto. Garnished with chopped Italian parsley.” We added chicken to the pizza as well for a little bit of protein. I really loved the combination of mushrooms on this dish – this is a pizza I could only order with a few of my friends since I have a few people I know don’t like mushrooms. I don’t understand this in any way since I can’t seem to get enough of mushrooms. The sauce on this pizza was light and not overpowering for the mushrooms to really shine. The dough is slightly thick and chewy and a good combination of flavors that melt in your mouth.
Julia and I both really enjoyed our shared dinner – no leftovers to be had here!
California Pizza Kitchen serves up “regular” pizzas (you know, the kind with just meats and cheeses) as well as some of their innovative pizzas, such as Thai Chicken, Buffalo Chicken Pizza, Pear and Gorgonzola, California Club Pizza and their BLT Pizza.
With 7 locations in San Diego alone, you’re sure to find a CPK near you in Southern California!
California Pizza Kitchen
3363 Nobel Drive
La Jolla, CA 92037
Curbside Service Available
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- my favorite childhood treat: pocky!
- dressing rehersal at whole foods market encinitas + holiday ideas + a giveaway!
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because)
- firehouse subs / sports arena – san diego, ca
- turkey day!
- lunching with co-workers
- thanksgiving side suggestions
- san diego pretzel company + giveaway!
- dinosaurs and date shake tasting – hadley vs shields / palm springs, ca
- dressing rehersal at whole foods market encinitas + holiday ideas + a giveaway! (2)
- mary: I bought the dried porcini so it was a little less expensive. I didn’t need a ton of it either, so I just looked through them all until I found...
- Faye: That mushroom salt is a killer idea! I love it. I’ve seen their dried mushroom section in the Del Mar location but it was soooo expensive. I...
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca (6)
- mary: Oh I forgot you went here too! It’s not super close to my work but close enough! I’ll have to ask about the desserts sometime.
- caninecologne: Yay! I wish my work was close to this place! I’d be there like everyday! I like how open the restaurant it. Nice sparse decor too. We...
- mary: Parking is a big worry for me, too! Hard to park = I don’t want to go! Yeah, the HH prices aren’t stellar, but maybe they are just extra...
- mary: It was awesome! I even asked if they had the mushroom soup that day since I remembered the photo of it on your blog (that Dennis had) but they...
- Faye: Oh wow – your sandwich looks amazing! I like brie too – esp when it’s melted. But everything in your sandwich seems to really...