Ahh, Halloween. I still remember the last time I went trick-or-treating. I was 14 and a freshman in high school. I thought I was pushing it a little back then still going trick-or-treating, but I figured I was short enough to pull it off anyway. I didn’t have any money to buy a costume, so I got creative and made my own. What did I go as? A deaf mute. Yes. I wore a sign that said “Trick or Treat!” on it and it said “Thank you, Happy Halloween!” on the other side. I didn’t have to say a word all night. And if you know me in person, you know I’m quiet as it is, so in my eyes this was a plus at the time.
Now I’m an adult and I do less fun Halloween things – like giving out candy to the kids, wondering how any of them can be scared of my dog, and trying to give out as much as the candy as possible so we don’t have any leftovers. Also, I dress up my dog:
She doesn’t like it.
I think maybe I should try and weasel my way out of giving out candies by going out to dinner instead. AVE 5 is doing an all night happy hour and a special three-course dinner for $25. If you’re feeling up to dressing up, they’re also holding a costume contest for a $50 gift certificate to AVE 5.
Here’s the AVE 5 Halloween 3-Course Menu:
- First course: butternut squash soup with cinnamon crème fraiche and sage butter
- Second course: skewer of prawns and steak over chipotle potatoes, grilled vegetables
- Third course: chocolate ganache tart with berry compote
Since the happy hour is all night, the regular menu is also available at happy hour prices ($2 off listed prices on the menu)!
Free Kid’s Stuff on Halloween
- Free kids meal with the purchase of a Smashburger on Halloween after 3PM.
- Free kids meal with adult purchase at Home Town Buffet for kids in costume (after 5PM).
- Free kids meal – $5 minimum with paying adult at Pat & Oscars – kids must be in costume. Not valid at Temecula, San Marcos, Plaza Bonita or Carmel Mtn. Ranch.
I’m sure there’s ton of other Halloween stuff, but these are the ones that were emailed to my inbox! Happy Halloween!
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- zooies cookies / san diego, ca
- my favorite childhood treat: pocky!
- dressing rehersal at whole foods market encinitas + holiday ideas + a giveaway!
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because)
- firehouse subs / sports arena – san diego, ca
- turkey day!
- lunching with co-workers
- thanksgiving side suggestions
- san diego pretzel company + giveaway!
- zooies cookies / san diego, ca (4)
- mary: Free freshly made cookie, too, don’t forget about that part! I know, it’s SO HARD being a food blogger, trying out so many foods....
- mary: Hahah, I love your comment Jinxi, hoping you run out of gas in the area. I haven’t seen a s’mores cookie or pumpkin pie cookie like these...
- Faye: Free cookie w/ a fill up?! WTF. Why can’t they do that at other gas stations. I love how you give such a comprehensive review on each cookie....
- Jinxi: Wow! That marshmallow swirl looks really yummy (I love goopy melty marshmallow, haha) Hopefully next time I’m in the area, I also happen to...
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca (8)
- my favorite childhood treat: pocky! (4)
- mary: I always wondered why that called that one “men’” haha. Seemed so odd! I’m not a big dark chocolate fan so I’ve never...