It seems to happen every year around this time. Birthdays. Everyone has one and how you celebrate – whether you ignore it or embrace it – is a matter of personal taste. Awhile ago I signed up for as many restaurant clubs as I could muster, to see what kind of goodies I could get in celebration of my birthday. It’s a fun way to celebrate for a longer period of time and to make yourself feel a little extra special and ignore the fact that you’re getting a year older (even if it is just another number).
Having a late October birthday means I’ve had many, many Halloween cakes in my life – but for someone who likes Halloween, it’s not such a bad thing! I also get to spread out my celebration up into Halloween with my plethora of free coupons, which is pretty nice.
I never use every coupon I get – it’s just not possible. But I try to weed through things to get free lunches or other goodies and use what I can within the time frame allowed. Most places will send you coupons a week before your birthday and most items are good for about two weeks. Here’s my birthday round-up for this year.
This is the Grilled Gourmet Taco Plate from Rubio’s. I got the mixed taco plate and ordered one grilled chicken and one grilled shrimp. The grilled shrimp taco was much better than the chicken one. It just tasted a little fresher than the chicken. The chips are not that great at Rubio’s in my opinion and the beans are just okay. For your birthday you can chose any plate, up to $7. This was I think about $8.59 so I had to pay for the extra cost past $7.
Daphne’s Greek Cafe offers a very good deal for birthdays – any plate on their menu for free (no capped value). This year I got the Mix & Match Plate – gyros and crispy shrimp along with fries and a Greek salad. I placed my order online before I left work to run an errand, so I set the pickup time for a little later than when I placed my order, thinking they would put it together right before I arrived. By the time I got to eating this meal, all of the food that was supposed to be hot was cold. The last few times I have been to Daphne’s has been very disappointing – the quality of their food has really gone downhill. I ate this but didn’t really enjoy it.
Every month at The Boathouse they have one night a month to celebrate the birthdays for that month. You get a free Prime Rib dinner with any purchase. Since Jake and I both celebrate birthday’s in October, this is perfect for us to both get Prime Rib dinners and a nice evening out together. My purchase was this Calamari appetizer ($11.95). A bit overpriced, the calamari was just okay. It seemed to be really haphazardly sliced and breaded. I also thought the breading was a little too heavy, but I still ate a lot of it. A little more chewy than crispy as well.
The Prime Rib dinner comes with garlic mashed potatoes and the Prime Rib, with au jus and a horseradish sauce. After eating some really, really great steak at Fleming’s Steakhouse recently, you could really see the difference between this steak and the one from Fleming’s. Ah well, you can’t always get the expensive stuff – it was still good for what it was. Mine was a little tough to cut though, maybe because it was medium rare?
At Denny’s, you get a free Grand Slam breakfast (available only on your actual birth date). I forgot my camera so I had to take bad cell phone photos of my meal. For the Grand Slam breakfast (usually $5.99), you get to chose 4 items from a list of available options. I got: pancakes, 2 eggs, 2 sausage links and fruit.
The fruit cup was the best part of the meal. I liked how it was served in a little glass. My waitress forgot to bring me any pancake syrup, so I slowly ate the rest of my food while waiting for the syrup. It was apparent she was never coming back and I had to ask the manager to please bring me some syrup. The pancakes were just okay. The sausage links were kind of gross. The eggs were fine and the fruit was awesome.
At Santana’s Fresh MXN Food you can get a free meal, valued up to $5, on the actual date of your birthday. I got the “baby tacos” (also called taquitos here) and a half order of plain chips for a bit of a “deconstructed” carne asada nachos. I don’t like the stuff on my chips since it makes my chips soggy. I come here often for a cheap lunch, so this was pretty good.
Panera Bread started a rewards system not too long ago. If you sign up for their My Panera card, you get a free item after you register for your card online. You also get a free pastry for your birthday. I’m guessing it’s the pastry that was free, since I also had a free coffee or smoothie at the same time (you can’t use both at once). I got the Apple Pastry one morning this week after I got an email telling me I had a sweet treat available for me on my card.
There’s obviously more free stuff to be had, such as ice cream cones and things, that I haven’t done yet. I’m not sure if I will get to them before my coupons all expire, but as you can see I really milk this whole “free stuff for your birthday” thing. Embrace your birthday, folks. Treat yourself like you are your own national holiday.
about this site
- taegukgi korean bbq / kearny mesa – san diego, ca
- summer cooking
- carnitas uruapan / la mesa – san diego, ca
- coast of pacific beach restaurant walk 2013 – san diego, ca
- hash brown burritos at cotijas / tierrasanta – san diego, ca
- happy national donut day!
- [recipe] root beer float cookies
- britts bbq / el segundo, ca
- d bar winner!
- baking mat winner!
- taegukgi korean bbq / kearny mesa – san diego, ca (6)
- caninecologne: I haven’t tried an AYCE Korean bbq place yet, but for a “regular” non AYCE meal, we like going to Buga. It’s right off...
- Jinxi: Hi Mary, I haven’t been to Jeong Won (although I’ve been meaning to go!) but Manna is my favorite for all-you-can-eat. Friend’s...
- mary: Hi Leanne – Oh, two recommendations for Jeong Won! Yes, that sounds like it would be a better fit for me to be able just grab a little of this...
- mary: Hi Faye! Thank you for the tip! The buffet-style sounds more suited to someone like me who’s totally a newbie. I would probably just want to try...
- leanne: Jeong Won is probably my favorite AYCE Korean BBQ, mainly because you can pick out just how much you want to eat (like, if you only want one piece of...
- Faye: Hi you I would highly recommend Jeong Won (if you haven’t been yet). It’s buffet style so you go up to meat/veggie section and get as much...
- carnitas uruapan / la mesa – san diego, ca (9)
- J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats: That picture of the adobada looks AMAZING. I just bookmarked this place. Thanks for the tip!