It seems to happen every year around this time. Birthdays. Everyone has one and how you celebrate – whether you ignore it or embrace it – is a matter of personal taste. Awhile ago I signed up for as many restaurant clubs as I could muster, to see what kind of goodies I could get in celebration of my birthday. It’s a fun way to celebrate for a longer period of time and to make yourself feel a little extra special and ignore the fact that you’re getting a year older (even if it is just another number).
Having a late October birthday means I’ve had many, many Halloween cakes in my life – but for someone who likes Halloween, it’s not such a bad thing! I also get to spread out my celebration up into Halloween with my plethora of free coupons, which is pretty nice.
I never use every coupon I get – it’s just not possible. But I try to weed through things to get free lunches or other goodies and use what I can within the time frame allowed. Most places will send you coupons a week before your birthday and most items are good for about two weeks. Here’s my birthday round-up for this year.
This is the Grilled Gourmet Taco Plate from Rubio’s. I got the mixed taco plate and ordered one grilled chicken and one grilled shrimp. The grilled shrimp taco was much better than the chicken one. It just tasted a little fresher than the chicken. The chips are not that great at Rubio’s in my opinion and the beans are just okay. For your birthday you can chose any plate, up to $7. This was I think about $8.59 so I had to pay for the extra cost past $7.
Daphne’s Greek Cafe offers a very good deal for birthdays – any plate on their menu for free (no capped value). This year I got the Mix & Match Plate – gyros and crispy shrimp along with fries and a Greek salad. I placed my order online before I left work to run an errand, so I set the pickup time for a little later than when I placed my order, thinking they would put it together right before I arrived. By the time I got to eating this meal, all of the food that was supposed to be hot was cold. The last few times I have been to Daphne’s has been very disappointing – the quality of their food has really gone downhill. I ate this but didn’t really enjoy it.
Every month at The Boathouse they have one night a month to celebrate the birthdays for that month. You get a free Prime Rib dinner with any purchase. Since Jake and I both celebrate birthday’s in October, this is perfect for us to both get Prime Rib dinners and a nice evening out together. My purchase was this Calamari appetizer ($11.95). A bit overpriced, the calamari was just okay. It seemed to be really haphazardly sliced and breaded. I also thought the breading was a little too heavy, but I still ate a lot of it. A little more chewy than crispy as well.
The Prime Rib dinner comes with garlic mashed potatoes and the Prime Rib, with au jus and a horseradish sauce. After eating some really, really great steak at Fleming’s Steakhouse recently, you could really see the difference between this steak and the one from Fleming’s. Ah well, you can’t always get the expensive stuff – it was still good for what it was. Mine was a little tough to cut though, maybe because it was medium rare?
At Denny’s, you get a free Grand Slam breakfast (available only on your actual birth date). I forgot my camera so I had to take bad cell phone photos of my meal. For the Grand Slam breakfast (usually $5.99), you get to chose 4 items from a list of available options. I got: pancakes, 2 eggs, 2 sausage links and fruit.
The fruit cup was the best part of the meal. I liked how it was served in a little glass. My waitress forgot to bring me any pancake syrup, so I slowly ate the rest of my food while waiting for the syrup. It was apparent she was never coming back and I had to ask the manager to please bring me some syrup. The pancakes were just okay. The sausage links were kind of gross. The eggs were fine and the fruit was awesome.
At Santana’s Fresh MXN Food you can get a free meal, valued up to $5, on the actual date of your birthday. I got the “baby tacos” (also called taquitos here) and a half order of plain chips for a bit of a “deconstructed” carne asada nachos. I don’t like the stuff on my chips since it makes my chips soggy. I come here often for a cheap lunch, so this was pretty good.
Panera Bread started a rewards system not too long ago. If you sign up for their My Panera card, you get a free item after you register for your card online. You also get a free pastry for your birthday. I’m guessing it’s the pastry that was free, since I also had a free coffee or smoothie at the same time (you can’t use both at once). I got the Apple Pastry one morning this week after I got an email telling me I had a sweet treat available for me on my card.
There’s obviously more free stuff to be had, such as ice cream cones and things, that I haven’t done yet. I’m not sure if I will get to them before my coupons all expire, but as you can see I really milk this whole “free stuff for your birthday” thing. Embrace your birthday, folks. Treat yourself like you are your own national holiday.
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- fluffy homemade pancakes & candied bacon
- tom’s chinese bbq + dim sum / city heights – san diego
- peri peri / torrey highlands – san diego, ca
- firehouse subs revisit + giveaway!
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca
- red lobster / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- fluffy duffy’s snow cream / college – san diego, ca
- [recipe/review] peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- [product review] – DressTiez clothing protector bib
- hogetsu bakery / chula vista, ca
- tom’s chinese bbq + dim sum / city heights – san diego (8)
- mary: Hi Kirbie – Thanks for the explanation about the buns – I feel like I asked for pineapple and then couldn’t remember. All I remember...
- Kirbie: I love those little footballs. Hehe. You can find them at most dim sum places which is nice. Hmm, I think the bun you got in the last picture is the...
- mary: Hi CC – Um. Yeah, I *think* I’m gonna have to pass on the pig rectum for all subsequent visits…
- caninecologne: Yum, pig rectum. Not. At least you guys tried this place out and liked a few things!
- mary: Hi Faye – I was excited that it was so cheap! I wasn’t really that grossed out by the windows/panels, either, it was like… it made it...
- Faye: Oh man you made out like a bandit! I’m not sure why I’m not grossed out by the yucky window food panel thingies. I think I’m just...
- mary: Hi Teresa – Oh, that’s a good way to describe them, they were sort of football shaped haha!