I had been wanting to go to Heaven Sent Desserts in North Park for quite a long time. Last week my friend, Laura, and I finally had a chance to go out and visit Heaven Sent Desserts. We went for the “Happy Hour” special so we had dessert first before we had our dinner! The Happy Hour specials is for 1 or 2 people. For 1, you get 1 dessert (they had 3 to chose from on our visit, desserts change monthly) and either a coffee or tea for $6. For 2, you get 2 desserts and 2 drinks for $10. It’s a great deal and a nice (and cheaper) way to try out some of their desserts.
Here’s the dessert case that greets you when you first walk in. I’d love to try the Peanut Butter/Jelly cake dessert they have in there… and really, almost everything in the case looks good! Our choices for dessert were the Strawberry Fraise cake, the Red Velvet Cake and the Crème brûlée.
I wasn’t in a coffee mood so I chose one of their many teas for my drink. I got the “Jade Chai”. I like the look of the loose tea in a clear bag like this, you can really see all of the items that go into producing your cup of tea. Since it’s “Jade”, this was really more of a green tea than a Chai. I added a bunch of honey and it was pretty tasty and flavorful. Not quite like the dark spice chai, but a lighter version and not filled with as many spices.
We picked both of the cakes to try. This one in center stage is the Strawberry Fraise cake. It was a light vanilla cake with strawberry filling on each layer and a light, not too sweet, frosting on top. The cake was moist and fruity and is a good summer choice since strawberries are in season. Very good cake!
Our other pick was the Red Velvet cake with cream cheese frosting. Red Velvets are usually just a hint of chocolate, not too dense, and this one fit the bill. It wasn’t overly chocolately, was almost kind of light and airy. The cream cheese frosting was a nice complement as well – not too sweet or overpowering. Good flavor, moist, and delicious.
Laura asked me which cake I preferred, and I honestly couldn’t say. I liked them both a lot. In the summertime I’d pick the Strawberry Fraise though just because I like fruit in my desserts in the summer. But the Red Velvet is a force to be reckoned with!
If you’re in North Park and looking for some sweet treats, check out Heaven Sent Desserts and you won’t be disappointed. Happy Hour is from 3PM-6:30PM every day.
Heaven Sent Desserts
3001 University Avenue
(at University and 30th St.)
San Diego, CA 92104
Sunday – Monday: 11am-10pm
Tuesday – Thursday: 11am-11pm
Friday-Saturday : 11am-12am
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- cape town pub south african fusion / miramar – san diego, ca
- ‘rita’s cantina @ harrah’s / valley center, ca
- [recipe] green bean salad + homemade bbq
- mr. peabody’s bar & grill / encinitas, ca
- supernatural sandwiches / miramar – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] taste of hillcrest coming up on april 19th, 2014 + win tickets!
- [recipe] easy one pot tomato basil pasta
- breakfast at wich addiction / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- [recipe] strawberry lime cheesecake bars
- college area taste / april 13th, 2014 + win tickets!
- cape town pub south african fusion / miramar – san diego, ca (8)
- mary: Hi CC – I think you’ll like it here! There’s so much more stuff to try and it’s as good as it was at Deli SA – plus more...
- mary: Hi J.S. – Thank you! I visited Brazil by the Bay awhile good – that place is good, too. Though mostly I just remember the cheese bread.
- caninecologne: Gotta check this out! I remember liking their meat pies from the one time I went when they were still Deli SA (after that family nearly...
- J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats: Your picture of the sandwich + fries is amazing! And I think I would love the milk tart too. This place reminds of Brazil by the Bay...
- mary: Hi Jinxi – I hope you do! They have interesting looking stuff on their menu. I also want to try all of their desserts again!
- Jinxi: Mm I’ll have to check out this place! I’ve never had South African cuisine before. The desserts look yummy, and I’m quite intrigued...
- jeong won korean bbq buffet / kearny mesa – san diego, ca (9)
- Truely: Taegukgi is over price. They don’t explain much between 21.99 and 25.99. Sorry, it is my first and last. I will explain to all my friends. word...
Blogs I Follow
- my burning kitchen
- meandering eats
- three dog kitchen
- kirbie's cravings
- a radiused corner
- food is my favorite
- pink candles at ridgemont high
- convoy conquest
- san diego sugar
- rodzilla reviews
- food revu
- nerds with food
- jinxi eats
- faye's fork
- sun diego eats
- gastro bits