It’s been quite awhile since I last posted about Callahan’s… like, five years actually! The place looks the same once you step inside but now they have a fancier looking menu – one sheet instead of the book they used to have, but with many of the same offerings as before. I visited here last Friday with my friend Laura. We needed a little grub before we could sit down to watch some Downton Abbey! Since I only watch it …
Let me admit this off the bat – I wasn’t sure if I would really like this place. I got an invitation to come in and I already knew I probably couldn’t get Jake and S to go here over the weekend, so I opted to go for lunch on my own. Veggie Grill kind of sounds like a place that would serve strange looking tofu burgers and unflavorful wannabe fake food. Let’s take a little journey on my adventure …
Before I forget… let me reveal the final cookies that I gave to Jake on Valentine’s Day!
Which naturally go with Jake’s Valentine’s Day card that I got for him off of Etsy. It was a “print it yo-self” card and that’s when I discovered my printer ran out of color ink. I ended up filling it in with colored pencils and adding some “3-D” punched out hearts to the card.
I got the Star Wars Heros & Villians cookie cutters …
Souplantation is one of the only buffets that I find acceptable to dine at. Everything tastes much fresher and there’s a good variety of items to get here. I was recently invited to dine here to check out a few of their newer menu items.
Jake, S and I went to the Souplantation in Mira Mesa one recent weekend after going to see the Lego Movie (which was super cute and you super have to go see it). It was in …
After our blogger lunch at Que Huong, we all had dessert at a second spot – Hanna’s Gourmet off Adams Ave. in Normal Heights. I had read about this place a few times and I had been wanting to stop by to try some carrot cake pancakes I spied on the menu. But, we were only here for dessert that day and we shared 5 desserts between the seven on us so we all got to have a little tastes …
I have some kind of thing for tamales. I really love a good tamale. I used to go to a particular tamale vendor weekly at the farmer’s market in Scripps Ranch a few years ago – when to my dismay that vendor was gone and replaced with a “gourmet” tamale person who charged more and the tamales were NOT as good despite their snooty gourmet status. Gourmet does not equal good! It’s just a fancy word so you can charge …
Happy Valentine’s Day! I had plans in my head to do more Valentine’s recipes/posts… but that didn’t exactly work out. Last night I made Jake some special treats for today (which I will post about later because I don’t want him to see what I made) and with the leftover cookie dough I made these:
Mini heart sandwich cookies! They are sugar cookies with lemon cream filling. They are pretty tiny and just the right bite for a little something sweet.
My original interest in Romesco Mexiterranean Bistro was that I had seen them on Eater 38 San Diego list. And then I saw a coupon deal for them on LivingSocial (or something similar) which I bought and Jake, S. and I went for dinner one evening in late December. I didn’t have my regular camera with me at the time, only my iPhone!
[albondigas al chipotle - beef meat balls in a mild bacon chipotle cream sauce / $4.95]
Jake and …
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- firehouse subs revisit + giveaway!
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca
- red lobster / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- fluffy duffy’s snow cream / college – san diego, ca
- [recipe/review] peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- [product review] – DressTiez clothing protector bib
- hogetsu bakery / chula vista, ca
- teriyaki grill / chula vista, ca
- revisit to callahan’s / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- veggie grill / utc – la jolla, ca
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca (8)
- mary: Hi Kirk – Wow, you tried it 3-4 times?! I’m glad someone else can confirm that it wasn’t just me who had a bad meal!
- Kirk: Hi Mary – This place is terrible, tried it about 3-4 times when we moved a couple of miles away. Bitter orange juice, SYSCO products at...
- mary: Haha I thought so
- J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats: Sorry the food was kindof mediocre…however “barfed flowers all over the place” is the most perfect description for...
- mary: Hi CC – The one in Clairemont is kind of hidden, too. Must be some kind of weird theme… the wallpaper is pretty bad. I could also see the...
- dave and buster’s – mission valley / san diego, ca (5)