Cheetos Patty Melts with Oroweat Bread + giveaway
I like sandwiches. I bet you like sandwiches. I came up with a fancy new sandwich that involves Cheetos and Oroweat® bread. And lots of cheese and lots of onions smooshed together with meat. Also included this post is information about the Oroweat® Better Sandwich contest AND there will be a GIVEAWAY so… stay tuned for that at the end!
BEHOLD! I call it the Cheetos Patty Melt. I was thinking about what to make for this special Oroweat® post and I was also thinking about Cheetos. I really like Cheetos. Recently I tried those Mac n’ Cheetos things from Burger King but I didn’t enjoy them. I got to thinking: could I incorporate Cheetos into a sandwich?
The answer: YES.
Thank you, Oroweat®, for holding my sandwich together and holding fabulous contests like the America’s Better Sandwich contest (more on that later). First… let’s make CHEETOS BUTTER.
I had the idea to make Cheetos infused butter. Here’s how I did it. All you need are some Cheetos (about 2 cups) and a stick of softened, room temperature butter.
PS – I bought the Party Size bag because at Smart & Final Extra they had a normal sized bag for $3.19 and a Party Size bag for $3.99. Twice as many Cheetos for more .80 cents? Twist my arm.
I didn’t know how much to pulse up so I did 3 cups but only used 2 cups of Cheetos in the end.
Softened butter goes into a bowl.
Dump the Cheetos in there.
Handy dandy forks are handy dandy for the smooshing part of making infused butter.
SMOOOOOOOSH. Smoosh and stir until the Cheetos dust is fully incorporated into the butter.
Get some plastic wrap out and spoon the butter into a little log shape and then wrap it up.
All done! Put this into the fridge until you’re ready to use. I made it in advance.
This next part you could also do in advance! I wanted caramelized onions for my patty melts so I sliced up 1 big onion and also half of one smaller onion. I had leftover onions so 1 big onion would suffice.
All I added to the pan was a little olive oil, onions, and a few pinches of salt. Stir the onions occasionally. It’ll take about 20-25 minutes for the onions to get a lovely golden color.
Mmm! Sweet, delicious onions!
Other needed ingredients: your choice of cheese. My choice is Kerrygold Aged Cheddar.
Also needed: beef patties.
I cooked the patties first as well then had a little assembly line going to grill the bread, melt, the cheese, and assemble the sandwich together.
For my first sandwich, I decided to sprinkle a little extra Cheetos “dust” on top the butter.
But that was a bad idea since the Cheetos dust ended up getting burnt. Oops. The rest of the sandwiches were made sans extra dust and turned into a nice golden brown.
Or well, I should say, and orange-brown color! You can see little bits of the Cheetos where it’s darker.
You get dual cheese flavor here – on both sides of the bread! The contrast of cheese flavor blended together nicely with the sweet onions and yummy burger patty. I know that traditionally patty melts are served on rye bread but I personally can’t stand rye bed with all those caraway seeds. The Oroweat® Italian bread was the perfect stand in – it was nice and fluffy on the inside and had a nice outer crust.
- 2 cups crunchy Cheetos
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 large onion
- 4 burger patties
- Slices of your favorite cheese
- 8 slices of Oroweat® Italian bread
- Leave your butter out until it comes to room temperature.
- Using a blender or even just a bag with a rolling pin, crunch up your Cheetos into a fine crumb.
- Add the Cheetos crumbs to your softened butter. Use a fork to smoosh the Cheetos into the butter. Mix until fully incorporated. Get out a large square of plastic wrap. Spoon your butter into a log and tie off the ends. Refrigerate the butter until you are ready to use it.
- Slice up one large onion. Get a non-stick skillet and add a little bit of olive oil to the pan. Add onions. Cook onions slowly over medium low heat with a few pinches of salt. It will take about 20-25 minutes for the onions to full caramelize. Make sure to stir the onions around in the pan every few minutes or so. Set aside when cooked.
- Cook the burger patties to desired doneness. Set aside.
- Bring the Cheetos butter out of the fridge to soften. Spread butter over two slices of Oroweat® Italian bread. Heat up a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Place both slices into the pan and place the slices of cheese on top. Top one slice with onions and one slice with the cooked burger patty. Set over a lower flame and place a lid on top to slowly melt the cheese. Once the cheese starts to melt, bring the two halves together to form the sandwich. Continue to grill on each side for a few more minutes until everything is melted and heated through then stuff this sandwich into your face!
Oroweat® has got a little sandwich contest going on where you can win a grand prize of $25,000! Wow! There are 5 new categories you can enter to try and win the prize. Here are the categories:
- “Open-Faced Artistry” (sandwiches are works of art for the world to see, and these snacks and meals should announce their nutritious ingredients—like bright beets or tasty tuna— sans second slice);
- “Breakfast in Bread” (these sandwiches, featuring nutrient rich breakfast favorites like eggs and yogurt, invoke images of cozy mornings in bed or boisterous brunches with friends);
- “Creative Classics” (nutritious spins on sandwich creations that have stood the test of time, such as grandma’s club sandwich, BLT or other old-time favorites);
- “Fueling Good” (these sandwiches should incorporate ingredients that help boost your energy such as healthful fats, protein, fiber and iron)
- “State Favorites” (whether it’s a well-known sandwich in the state you reside, or a must-have local dish that can transition into a sandwich, celebrate your state pride by re-creating these state favorites with better-for-you ingredients)
The recipe in each sandwich category with the highest score will receive a $5,000 category prize. The recipe must use an Oroweat® bread product in the recipe.
Entries will be accepted now through August 21st, 2016. Online consumer voting will take place September 26th – October 23rd, and the winners will be announced on National Sandwich Day- November 3rd.
Oroweat® bread will donate one (1) loaf of bread (up to 100,000 loaves) to Feeding America for each valid entry submission during the entry period and vote received during the online voting phase of the “2016 America’s Better Sandwich” Contest. Head on over to Oroweat® website to enter your sandwich today!
Giveaway Giveaway Giveaway
You’ve patiently read through this whole post so dear readers, let me give back to you with a super duper special Oroweat® Prize Pack! Six coupons, each valid for $5.00 off the purchase of any Oroweat® Whole Grain Sliced Bread of choice Six coupons, each valid for $4.00 off the purchase of any Oroweat® Sandwich Thins® Rolls of choice $25 Visa gift card to use towards ingredients for their favorite sandwiches One winner will get the above so they can create their own ultimate sandwich! To enter the contest please comment on this post and tell me: what’s your favorite sandwich? This contest runs through Wednesday, July 27th, 2016 at 8PM PST. This contest is open to US Residents. Good luck!
This contest is NOW CLOSED. Congrats to the winner, Teresa!
Disclaimer: The coupons for product redemption, information, and gift card have been provided by Oroweat® Bread so that I could try the product and share information about the “2016 America’s Better Sandwich” Contest and my thoughts and information about Oroweat®. The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions of Oroweat® Bread.