Adventuring in Mexico: Tacos Salceados and Popotla

Oh wow those quesatacos look amazing! How do they make those cheese rolls so pliable? How do they do it so the cheese doesn’t stick to the griddle? The berry taco might be alright if they had non-meat items inside the taco – like maybe additional fruit or something?

The dogs on the roof is a bit crazy.

That police officer asking for ‘donations’ is scary.

I’ve only driven to Mex once and it was with my church for a mission. It took over 3 hours to get back to the States so I’m wondering if you went through the same fiasco.

Hi Faye! I think they use a nicely seasoned grill top! I want to try making it at home. The sweet taco was just interesting. Very different. I had to take a couple of bites to get the full experience of eating it. I’m sure you can order it without the meat, too, since the dude asked me what I wanted (it took me a second to figure out what he was asking of course since he asked in Spanish).

My fiasco took longer than yours, sadly enough. I’ll post about that soon!

2. MarlaD says:

I spent one or two weekends a month in Rosarito Beach from about 2006-2010 and we were never able to figure out who those “police” asking for donations were. We had a little beach house and they would come to our door. We kept a stock of dollar bills and always gave them one or two…we figured it was worth the goodwill. If I was just driving through, nah. Our place got broken into a lot but other than that, I LOVED it down there!

HI Marla!
      How interesting. I’m still doubtful they were really even police at all. Yeah, I suppose if I had a place down there I’d “donate” too just to keep the peace or whatever. It’s definitely an adventure going down there and just so different from the US – so different and so close to home! Were there any particular spots you loved to eat at? I always need places for future visits! 🙂

• MarlaD says:

It IS an adventure! We used to barbeque a lot and buy street food and tamales from whoever came by selling them so I don’t really have any spots to recommend. There was a great breakfast spot that I don’t think I ever knew the name of, we just called it “the wagonwheel” because it had one out front. Haha!

Haha, no problem! I’m pretty sure we walked by the “wagonwheel” restaurant but we didn’t eat there. Mostly just tacos and tamales and more tacos haha. Thanks!

3. I love that purple room! I wouldn’t be brave enough to do that in our house though.

Hilarious photo of the dogs on the roof!!!!!! They look like they own the place, ha ha.

It’s easy to drive into Mexico but takes a hell of a long time to cross back into the U.S. The last time I crossed the border was 10 years ago for a friend’s wedding reception. The wait back was about three hours. Ugh.

I liked the bright colors in the condo – it was all very vibrant! I LOVE the dogs photo – I remember we were stopped at a light and I saw them just pop up on the roof and start looking over the edge. I was like “WHAT?! What is happening?!” haha

It is very easy to get into Mexico but gosh you’re right… coming home is tough! I’ll still go again but probably not for a while.

4. Kirbie says:

Mmm, so many yummy photos. I especially like the look of the papa con adobada and quesataco. I know there are similar tacos we can get in SD, but the cheese layer looks so much more amazing where you had them!

Thanks, Kirbie! The layer of cheese on the quesataco was amazing! I don’t know how they got it to be so thick like that – they must have used a ton of cheese or a specific kind of cheese. Now that I know what a quesataco is I have looked at a few menus and seen them but I have a feeling it won’t be quite the same. But I’ll have to find some on this side of the border to try them out!