I love weekends. I get to take a break from the computer (which I spend 8 hours + a day on during the week), I get to sleep in, and I get to laze around in pajama pants. What’s not to love? This weekend the days were filled with:
Jake’s dogs, Short Round and Little Bit, who both curled up against me for sleeping.
They both made me miss my little Maya, who just got a haircut.
Went to see Pitch Perfect 2! (Why, yes, that does say FOUR DOLLARS for a movie.)
Went to a Padres game with these guys.
And I made these for Sunday morning: Breakfast Quesadillas. I actually got the idea from this Pinterest post about breakfast burritos but I didn’t look hard enough in Jake’s kitchen to see there were big tortillas. All I saw were the little corn taco sized one and on the fly it went from breakfast burritos to breakfast tacos to breakfast quesadillas since I realized tacos would probably fall apart in the pan. I really wanted that crispy outside edge and quesadillas would be easier to heat up that way.
The quesadillas are filled with things we had on hand: refried beans, sour cream, scrambled eggs, shredded chicken, onions, chives, and plenty of cheese!
They turned out better than I thought they would and they came together really easily! You can easily adjust the fillings to taste or whatever you have on hand. Heck, I bet you could even freeze these and then reheat them at work for breakfast during the week.
Quesadillas: not just for cheese anymore (though I’ll take just cheese, too, if that’s all you have).
Check out the recipe below and have a good week!
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 12 small corn tortillas
- refried beans
- sour cream
- shredded Mexican cheese (I like a mix of Jack and Cheddar)
- shredded cooked chicken
- chives, chopped
- canola oil
- Crack your eggs, beat them, and cook em til scrambled. Set aside.
- Sautée your onions for 4-5 minutes until translucent and soft. Set aside.
- Start assembling your breakfast quesadillas! Lay one tortilla flat on your surface. Take a spoonful of refried beans and spread it evenly across the tortilla. Get another spoonful of sour cream and layer that on top of the beans. Sprinkle a bit of shredded cheese evenly over the top of the sour cream. Add a little bit of cooked chicken, then a spoonful of cooked scrambled eggs, a little scatter of onions and a few chopped chives. Top again with another helping of shredded cheese and then top it all off with another tortilla. Repeat until you have 6 quesadillas done.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and place a teaspoon of canola oil in the pan. Swirl it so the oil covers the bottom of the pan. When hot, add your quesadilla to the pan. Cook for about 2 minutes over medium high heat. When the bottom looks crispy and golden brown in spots, flip it over to cook the other side. Cook for another two minutes until the other side is also golden brown. Remove from pan and cook the rest of your quesadillas.
- Call in the crew to enjoy breakfast! Serve with additional sour cream, salsa, and hot sauce.