portland, oregon – day two recap

Wow you guys had a busy day! Portland seems awesome. S would definitely want to stay in that diner all day, too! Haha.

2. Ahh love this post!

That breakfast place sounds amazing I loved everything you ordered. Especially the cornbread-y pancakes and the breakfast sandwich. I would have ordered the meat and the mushroom gravy and mixed them together too haha.

Oh and nutritional yeast kind of tastes like parmesan cheese so maybe that’s why it was on the pizza!

I tried the Pok Pok wings at the one in Brooklyn and liked them but found some of the entrees way more “worth the hype”. My mom and dad were not fans though as the food was definitely a little more weird than pad thai and we waited an hour and half to get seated. Eek.

Hi J.S. – Yeah, I would have liked to do meat and mushroom gravy mixed, too! But boys wouldn’t let me. I suppose I could have ordered my own side but I didn’t think of it at the time!

Ohhh, I didn’t know nutritional yeast tastes a bit like Parm. That explains it! Also explains the vegan aspect.

Yes, I thought the other menu items sounded more creative/interesting than the wings but was glad to try them. I kind of liked that Pad Thai wasn’t on the menu at all! We were lucky since we went on a Thursday evening there was zero line. Yay for mid-week travels!

3. MikeInTheCouv says:

Great post, Mary….and awesome pics!!

Funny story about Mary’s Club. Around the corner is a small, but very good Mexican place called Santeria. One Saturday after walking around Saturday Market, we stopped in there for cocktails and lunch. Tiny place. I looked around and finally asked the bartender/server/cook where the restroom was. He replies, “Um, hang on a second.” as he’s looking sorta worried. A minute later he comes back, looking relieved, and tells me to go through the back door, through another door, and restrooms are to the left. Um, ok. So…I go. The Mexican restaurant shares restrooms with Mary’s strip club and he was worried they weren’t open yet!! Lol!! And yes, there is no avoiding the stage as you walk through. And yes, you should leave a tip on the stage because it seems only proper….

Also, as one who grew up in the Portland area, I too love the water fountains in the city. I will stop at everyone one of them….every time.

Thanks, Mike! That is a pretty awesome story about Mary’s Club. I’d kind of like to hear that response though. “Sorry, you can’t use the restroom, the strip club isn’t open yet.” Haha! Gosh we loved the fountains. We used them quite a few times walking around downtown that day! It’s extra amazing to us Californians in a crazy drought.

4. Wow you guys sure do eat a lot! And poutine, the thing missing from our Wich Addiction lunch! I was wondering what it would look like haha! I think that famous park is a bit ridiculous in size but I guess it’s unique. And is it in the middle of a road or a parking lot?

Hi Lynn – You must remember that I shared all food with two guys – one a 16 year old teenager! I personally didn’t eat as much since I had the two guys to take care of any and all “leftovers”. Haha. The tiny park is in the center divider of a busy road! Traffic was breezing by us but there’s plenty of room to not be in the street. Plus I’m sure they’re all used to tourists hanging out there taking photos.

5. I am loving your Portland posts! Makes me wish we did that aerial tram! Next visit, though. I liked that you included your video. Seeing the smallest park was also cool!

TC enjoyed drinking from the Benson Bubbler fountains. The food pod you went to with Whiffie’s Pies was Cartopia (which also made a brief appearance in one of the earlier episodes of Portlandia)…we had a sweet hand pie and tried some fries from Potato Champion.

I heard from someone that Pok Pok was coming to LA too. I remember liking the fish sauce wings but Que Huong’s is better (and closer!). That Reggie delux was an epic sandwich. We only had the regular Reggie.

Can’t wait to see more!

Thanks, CC! The Aerial Tram was really cool even if it was a short ride. It was a great view up there.

Man, I kept reading that as “Cartopia” like at Disneyland. Haha! I couldn’t remember that it had a name but I remember you telling me about it!

Yes, I saw on the Pok Pok website there is a location in LA now. I like the fish sauce wings at Que Huong’s better, too! But I liked the variety of their menu. Two more days to cover!

6. Wow looks like nice cool/chilly weather, perfect for pigging out. The biscuits look yummy! And Jake must have been standing on the steps or something? I didn’t know he was THAT much taller than you lol.

Hi Miss Kim – Hahaha. Um. Jake is over a foot taller than me. I’m 4’11” and he’s 6’2″. Heh heh. The weather was nice, it was nice having to really need a scarf and a jacket. It wasn’t glove weather though, so it was perfect. Most of the food we had in Portland was really good! It was a great trip.

Hot digitty dayuuuum – those breakfast pics are insane in the membrane. Why in the world can SD NOT have a place like that. You had me at the sausage gravy. Truly. Completely. Dayuuum. Argh – there must be something comparable here in san diego right?? I miss Keith’s 🙁

You seriously look itty bitty in that pic with Jake!

I love the smallest park! Do you ever watch Park and Rec? It reminds me of that smallest park episode b/w Leslie and Ben!

Hmmmm… I like the biscuits and gravy at Tobey’s! Have you tried that one? I know you went there but I don’t remember what you had. I also like the ones over at the Huddle in Mission Hills.

Jake is really tall, ain’t he.

I haven’t seen Parks & Rec! I wanna. I just haven’t. Perhaps I should.

8. Lauren says:

Those biscuits. That gravy. Oh my god, heaven! But that reggie deluxe? Oooooooooooooh man…I am so hungry! LOL! I might need to make a food trip to Portland soon, your posts have been so fun. It’s a great city! I almost went to college at PSU, but you know, life is what happens when you’re busy making other plans. Never heard of marionberry before. That mural is SO kick ass, you’re right. AND FRIED PIE!!! LOL @ Mary’s all nude! Seems like a weird place for a nudie bar.

I’m glad people seem to like my Portland posts! Two more posts to go. It’s a great city to visit and there’s so much great food up there to try out. I almost applied to college in Oregon, too, but ended up not doing it.